Comfort Eaters...

Options
KeiKun
KeiKun Posts: 51 Member
I have this really bad habit of stuffing my face with every bit of food I can grab hold of when I get upset or angry, I tend to cram it all in before I can stop myself :frown:
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this? Some alternate form of venting?

Replies

• JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a comfort eater too, stress eater oh hell I just like to eat. I try to make myself go for a walk first for 30 min and when I get home - I make myself do exercise first! Then if I still want to eat it, I don':glasses: t feel so bad
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I learned an interesting concept from a book on habits dealing with that. If your eating out of boredom or emotional reasons, find something to replace that habit. I'm going to start doing some push ups whenever I start thinking about food between my meal times because it is constantly on my mind and I eat out of boredom everyday too much. Just change it to something of your choice like a walk or anything. Eventually it should replace that habit. Instead of thinking about food when angry, maybe you would automatically feel the need to go for a walk or something after changing the habit.
  • KeiKun
    Options
    I feel ya JB xD

Hmm that's a good idea....conditioning ourselves ourselves to associate anger with exercising...
    Will give it a try. Thanks :happy:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you have to find new ways to comfort yourself. first, get rid of everything in the house that you usually comfort yourself with, such as oreos (ha, this is my weakness!) read a book, take a run/walk, take a bubble bath, go have your nails done, get a massage, call a friend, get online and vent an email to a close friend about how frustrated you are. food is supposed to be to keep us alive, not a subsitute for human contact. do not operate all functions around food. instead of meeting friends for dinner, go to a movie, go window-shopping, go for a hike, or start a new hobby together. :smile:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater, as well.

One thing I like to do is to take a quick walk whenever I feel the urge to eat for any other reason than hunger. Even if it's a 10 minute walk around the block, I always feel better afterward, burned some calories and don't need to feel the need to eat. It's okay to feel your feelings. Sometimes (and this is a little strange, I grant you), I play some Adele on my ipod, put on some sunglasses and walk around and get teary. It's nice emotional therapy and it keeps me from using food for anything other than nourishment.

Hang in there! Lots of us have this problem!

~Allison
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Missikay.. I tend to run the bath when I'm stressed, and when I'm bored I'll give myself a manicure, it really does work, and besides if your painting your nails you can't really eat.

If you're like me, I have to have some form of treats in the house, but if you look for lower fat alternatives you'll feel less guilty if you do eat one or two.

But trying to chnage this kind of behaviour is a good idea, and a form of exercise could be good, if you get angry often, what about putting it into use, and maybe learn a martial art, boxing, or a quieter alternate such as yoga or tai chi?
  • KeiKun
    Options
    So many nice people and so much support here!
    Thanks for the replies, ladies. <3

Aye I have a weakness too, Jammy Dodgers! There's a packet on my desk which was intended for my next bout of rage xD
    Might just put it in the family biscuit tin :laugh:

LOL Spaingirl! Whatever works :D
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    SMASHING IT AT THE GYM!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    Get out of the house. Go for a walk, go get a manicure or pedicure, ride a bike. Ideally getting out and finding something to do helps.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    LOL! I figured that it nothing else, it would make you laugh! :smile:
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Go shopping! Go out with friends to the bar and go dancing. =)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump :(
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    a big glass of ice water before anything else!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yeah… big time stress eater here… and I like to eat for any reason, anyway! Stress just makes it that much worse! It is hard to "retrain" yourself, but it can be done! I still have lapses on occasion, but instead of eating 10 things before I stop, I can stop myself after one or two… it's progress.

I do the same things everyone else does, it seems. I think like any "habit" you have to replace it with another activity. You can do a workout, take a walk around the block, clean out a closet, do something that keeps your hands busy! A good cry can help sometimes! If you and go for a mani/pedi/massage, I'd encourage that, too! Window shopping, but don't replace an eating habit with a debt habit! :happy:

First thing you've accomplished… you realize what you're doing and when you're doing it. Big step, I think. Next thing is that when the urge strikes, you recognize it and alter your behavior. If you slip, don't beat yourself up, think over what you would do differently NEXT time as a lesson and move on.

You can do this!!!! Best of luck.
  • AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I eat but then I feel bad physically and emotionally. I have started running on a treadmill when angry or stressed, or I chew sugar free gum. That helps, too. When I am really ticked, I have started cleaning/organizing my house! Feels good to be productive! :) Good luck!