so i kind of have an obsession with cheese

Options
I love love love cheese, however when i eat it, i can watch it take up instant residence in my obliques. :grumble:

i have been doing good for a week or so...almost no cheese! Which is really hard. I'm in love with grilled cheeses, so i've been staying away from them...but i want one soooo bad!! Any advice?

Replies

• JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    have a half of one.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    You're probably already doing this, but if not: use part-skim cheese. If you like American cheese, use cheese made with 2%. It's best to stay away from cheese, but if you're going to eat it, you might as well eat the lighter kind.
  • VardaElentari
    Options
    Are you familiar with the Sims2? You are the first person I've ever met who actually aspires to eat Grilled Cheese every day! LOL.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I love love love cheese, however when i eat it, i can watch it take up instant residence in my obliques. :grumble:

i have been doing good for a week or so...almost no cheese! Which is really hard. I'm in love with grilled cheeses, so i've been staying away from them...but i want one soooo bad!! Any advice?

None from me I LOVE cheese!:love: Maybe you could talk to my nine year old son, he HATES melted cheese! I don't know why the are oh so yummmmmmmmmm! Good luck!
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is use part skim when you use shredded cheese and try the weight watchers cheese singles. I happen to love cheese I make sure to measure and only use an exact portion. Don't deny yourself all together because that will only lead to a the binging process. Try limiting yourself to one serving a day or even one everyother day if you can. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I actually posted this in another thread today as well, but I have found that really pungent cheeses can cure the cheese craving for less calories. As an example, I love bleu cheese on a salad, and I find that I only need about a tablespoon!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    My husband LOVES LOVES LOVES cheese too.

He'll put cheese on anything (and I mean that too...he has grossed me out with some of his cheese adding)!

I like cheese too...but in moderation.

Who can eat half a grilled cheese sandwich?????? Could you not just allot it into your calorie intake for the day?

I always thought cheese was healthy (just in moderation like other foods). Especially for those on a low carb diet.

An ounce of cheese (equal to four dice) is considered one serving and provides 200 - 300 mg of calcium. Most adults (on average), ages 19 to 50, need 1,000 mg of calcium per day and adults ages 50 and older need 1,200 mg of calcium per day. Since milk is one of the main ingredients, cheese also provides a good source of protein and vitamin B2, riboflavin.

Just be careful of the type of cheese you are eating....some cheeses are healthier than others.

Good luck to you!
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have the same obsession, and have found two I am really happy with. Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Chedder, and Jarlsberg Lite Reduced Fat Swiss.
  • jcarey5478
    Options
    What's life without grilled cheese? Don't give up what you love. That's silly.

What about a light or fat free cheese? Also, Alvarado Street Bakery Essential Flax Seed bread is only 100 calories for 2 slices -- and it doesn't have that weird texture or flavor or dryness that "healthier" breads have. And, when you grill the sandwich, use a non-stick spray to coat your pan instead of buttering your bread. You COULD have a grilled cheese for about 200 calories.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I actually posted this in another thread today as well, but I have found that really pungent cheeses can cure the cheese craving for less calories. As an example, I love bleu cheese on a salad, and I find that I only need about a tablespoon!

I do the same--I love a little blue cheese in salads, or on top of my burger patty. It's so satisfying.
  • red5
    red5 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am from Wisconsin and my husband and I are cheeseheads! LOL I just had a grilled cheese just the other day with 2% pepperjack cheese on 45 calorie bread and I can't believe its not butter spray. Yummy and only 150 cals and I also had a cup of tomatoe soup V8 brand in the box. Just buy reduced fat and swiss. Swiss is a good one! I also use Parmesan on my salad instead of 1/4 cup I use an 1/8 of a cup. Enjoy it don't throw cheese to the wayside it had good vitamins and live cultures in it. I have 2 servings a day!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love grilled cheese too. I also like cheese wraps. I can eat it everday I take a wheat tortilla (low carb high fiber) and put pepper jack and swiss(low fat not processed) and put it in my lil toaster oven for about 10-15 minutes and the tortilla gets a lil crispy it is so good. If my husband and son want to get pizza or something I can't or won't eat I make myself a wrap.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, Red5. I adore cheese as does my guy and my children. I have to portion it out or they'll scarf it up completely, leaving none for us more restrained individuals :laugh: .

I now buy 2%, fat free and reduced fat slices as well as fat free shredded when I can find it. It's great for omelettes, quesadillas, grilled cheese, on salads, and other foods.

I bring a 1" cube to work every day for my afternoon snack :) Yummy!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I love my cheese, and I love grilled cheese. If I really get the craving, I do it in the pannini maker, so I just need a little olive oil sprayed on the bread instead of all the yummy butter it takes to fry it.