MFP Settings Question

Options
Ugh, I don't want to eat 1,200 calories again... Right now, I'm at 1,440. After I put I want to lose a pound a week and put 'Active' they gave 1,440 however I don't know what's considered 'Active' anymore, I typically do 30 DS and some days Turbo Jam along with the 30 DS usually going for 20-40 minutes long. I don't know if that's good enough or what... I don't want to make a mistake and it cost me. If I put 'Lightly Active' (because, let me be honest, I'm sitting almost all day long unless I help my mom garden) I get 1,200 calories but like I said I'd prefer not eating that little.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    just put a smaller weight loss rate in.

You can't have it both ways - if you have an eating floor you won't go below then you have to accept the weight loss rate it gives you.
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    just put a smaller weight loss rate in.

You can't have it both ways - if you have an eating floor you won't go below then you have to accept the weight loss rate it gives you.
    See that's the problem, I'm just putting a pound a week...
  • yarwell
    Options
    Then don't. Put a smaller number in. 0,5 lbs/week is available.

You can also use "custom goals" to set you're own intake at your chosen level.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Then don't. Put a smaller number in. 0,5 and 0,25 lbs/week are available.
    Sorry, but I like my pound a week. How do you *kitten* what is 'Lightly Active' from 'Active', based on my description of what I do what do you think? BTW Thank you for your help, I hope I'm not coming across as difficult. :ohwell:
  • yarwell
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom will let you set 1500 or whatever as your intake, then it increases as you log exercise on here.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

which fits best ?

You could try a different approach altogether - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ - it sets you to eat at your target maintenance for the body you want to have. You can also take 100 or 200 off.

If you want 1 lb/week these calculations are going to want you to set a 500 calorie deficit per day from what they think you use. If you increase your activity you can eat more for a given deficit - that's how the exercise diary works - it increases your food goals.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom will let you set 1500 or whatever as your intake, then it increases as you log exercise on here.

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

which fits best ?

You could try a different approach altogether - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ - it sets you to eat at your target maintenance for the body you want to have. You can also take 100 or 200 off.

If you want 1 lb/week these calculations are going to want you to set a 500 calorie deficit per day from what they think you use. If you increase your activity you can eat more for a given deficit - that's how the exercise diary works - it increases your food goals.

I have to agree here. I would not be to overly enticed by what MFP tell you you will lose. Everyone is different and I have had more accurate results using the fat3fitraido intake and setting my calories under custom :)
  • BlowYourMind
    Options

which fits best ?

From what I see I think 1,400 is just fine for me, on a given day I'm active enough to burn calories and I'm not always hungry enough to eat them all back. Plus, this website you gave me gave me between 1,700-1,900... I don't think I could eat that much but what I have may be just right.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You can mess with the numbers all you want. In the end, you need a caloric deficit to lose weight. If you hit your goal, and don't lose, you need to cut them back. Simple. See what your progress is in 2-4 weeks with the settings you want.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

[snip]

I have to agree here. I would not be to overly enticed by what MFP tell you you will lose. Everyone is different and I have had more accurate results using the fat3fitraido intake and setting my calories under custom :)

I don't have anything to add, just wanted to jump in and underscore the usefulness of the fat2fitradio.com BMR and calorie-target tool. Be sure to read the entire page of results and don't merely jump to the numbers. This site and podcast are really great at explaining the WHY behind the numbers and the process.

Good stuff!
  • yarwell
    Options
    From what I see I think 1,400 is just fine for me, on a given day I'm active enough to burn calories and I'm not always hungry enough to eat them all back. Plus, this website you gave me gave me between 1,700-1,900... I don't think I could eat that much but what I have may be just right.
    Run with what you like then. F2F does take a fair while to achieve goal and has a modest and declining rate of loss that won't please you if you want to see 1 lb/week.
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    Run with what you like then. F2F does take a fair while to achieve goal and has a modest and declining rate of loss that won't please you if you want to see 1 lb/week.
    Yeah, but it certainly did make me feel more confident that 1,400 calories isn't too much. It's not like I'm petite or anything (I'm 5'4) however, I am at a lower weight than some of my counterparts.