NSV - The Donation!

Options
No.... I didn't donate more of my larger clothes today (though I do have two bags full that I need to give away).

Today, I was leaving the grocery store and there was what my children refer to as The Blood Bus - the LifeShare mobile blood donation center was right there. Now, when I was heavier, I used to just walk on by. They could never find a vein and often I was too worn out just from grocery shopping to even think about giving blood. We put the groceries away and I asked the children if they would come with me to donate blood. For me, it was kind of a big deal.

When we got there, the NSVs just started hitting me. They checked my blood pressure - 116/71!!! Holy crap! My blood pressure is that normal... I was so proud of myself. About 15 months ago, my blood pressure, on a good day while sitting very still and thinking happy thoughts, was 150/127 or higher. I was on blood pressure medicine before the age of 30 (now, I've been off meds for about 8 months!)

Then, they checked my pulse. The nice young woman looked concerned. She said, "Ma'am, your pulse is only 47... are you feeling ok?" I proudly said, "Oh, yeah, sorry... I should have told you that I work out... I've never seen it that low, but I've recently increased my workout schedule back to 7 days a week." She replied, "That's great and you're at a perfect level then for someone who works out the way you do".

I'm more healthy than I think I've ever been. No matter what a scale could say today, I gave blood to hopefully help people who may need it this weekend (everyone PLEASE be safe if you're traveling!!!) and my BP and pulse were good. I'm still shocked every time it happens. :))))))

Replies

• chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Congrats on the great vitals and on being a good citizen!!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm so proud of you for your NSV!!! Oh and wonderful that you're giving blood :) I can't, sadly, so it's great to see someone who does! xo
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm so proud of you for your NSV!!! Oh and wonderful that you're giving blood :) I can't, sadly, so it's great to see someone who does! xo

Why can't you give blood? :(