Eatting every 3 hours??

Options
I have had a nutrionalist tell me that you should eat every 3 hours to keep your metabilism going. Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks and space them every 3 hours. Do you guys agree or not? There are times I would rather save those 150 calories for my next meal rather than a snack.

Replies

• Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I snack between meals but usually up to 100kcals but it depends on my mood sometimes i don't snack at all.....I think it can help. but still personal preference
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionalist is right! Snacks can be 100 calories such as nuts, fruits etc.

On days I work, I eat breakfast, pack a snack in my lunch box for morning and afternoon and my lunch. I have everything in my lunch box I need until supper.

I do like to leave a lot of calories for supper, but do stop eating 2 hours before going to bed.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have had a nutrionalist tell me that you should eat every 3 hours to keep your metabilism going. Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks and space them every 3 hours. Do you guys agree or not? There are times I would rather save those 150 calories for my next meal rather than a snack.

Get a new nutritionist cause that is a bunch of bull, holding cals and macros constant there will be no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist is completely wrong and if you search, the topic has been beaten to death on this forum.
    Meal frequency is irrelevant to your metabolism. Eat whenever you want.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    try it and see if it works for you. I don't think it is necessary
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You're gonna hear people for and against this idea.
    For me, it works to eat like that because if I skip meals, when I'm hungry I end up making horrible choices and overeating. Other people feel that if they allow themselves to eat snacks, they're putting themselves in danger of overeating at each meal/snack.
    I think it's best to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I snack 3 times a day, always having a munch of something usually low calorie like snack a jacks or fruit, it helps me make it till the next meal.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with eating every 3 hours, because I'm typically hungry after 2 hours LOL So it works for me. However, it may not work for everyone. I say do what you feel is right for you and what works out best for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Not SCIENTIFICALLY shown to increase metabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It works for me.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Get a new nutritionist cause that is a bunch of bull, holding cals and macros constant there will be no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency.
    Your nutritionist is completely wrong and if you search, the topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

Look very carefully at the physique maintained by each man that posted this.

Something to think about there.

I eat 2x a day max (I still get all of my calories and macros in)...almost invariably in the evenings.

*shrug*
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do. It might not be sound advice but I have lost so it works for me.

Everyday
    Breakfast:
    2 egg whites
    2 Tbs Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles
    cooked together
    slice of dry 40 calorie 9 grain bread

Snack: piece of fruit or 60 calorie cheese stick

Lunch:
    Lean cuisine or smart one meal with a salad

Snack: 90 calorie fiber one brownie

Dinner
    ??always different but I usually have extra calories.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

best comment here!

I will add...that I personally eat every 2.5 to 3 hours...I do this to keep from over eating...and because I am hungry all the time..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I eat 2x a day max (I still get all of my calories and macros in)...almost invariably in the evenings.

*shrug*

2x a day eater here as well most of the time. there are times I eat just once a day. I work nights. I have erratic sleeping habits. I make sleep a priority. but that's me and that's what works for me. ultimately it comes down to what works best for you.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

*shrug*

I do this (eat every 3 hours)...and I think my physique is not so shabby
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency is purely personal preference. But don't believe that there is a Golden Rule about it. Your body doesn't require evenly spaced meals to lose weight or function properly. "Personal Preference" does not equal Scientific Facts though.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    While these is no metabolic advantage to eating every 3 hours, it does keep some people from overeating at later meals.

I enjoy eating multiple times throughout the day, but I'm not expecting my metabolism to be increased in doing so.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

best comment here!

I will add...that I personally eat every 2.5 to 3 hours...I do this to keep from over eating...and because I am hungry all the time..

That's a completely different issue. Adherence/individual preferences are not what was being asked. She asked if meal frequency impacts metabolism - which is something that has been shown to proven false through various scientific studies.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i eat when i get hungry, and that's not every 3 hours, sometimes after 1 or 2, maybe 4.......just depends
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

It really depends on your own body. Not everyone does well eating like that. I do though. 3 big meals (300-400 calories each) and 3 smaller snacks (100-200 calories each) during the day. Try it and if you don't like it, switch stuff around until you find what is right for you. May take quite a bit of trial and error but it will be worth it.