Things I've learned about health and fitness(my mantras)

Options
So, after about 6 months on here, I tend to see similar questions repeated over and over, not because people don't listen, but because the posts go stale and people don't see them. Which is why I'm posting and I hope that other Vetrans of the site will contribute too so that people with some common questions will have them answered before they need to ask.

AS a note I have done extensive research and talked to doctors and nutritionists about all of this stuff, so I would request that if you do have things to add here, please make sure they are truths as opposed to rumors or thoughts.

Mike, any update on Sticky posts? Hopefully, this could be a sticky post candidate.

Anyway, here are some things I have learned from various sources that may be helpful. Please chime in if you have any other good facts about health, fitness, nutrition...etc. that may head off the disconnect between information and posts.

1) Exercise and diet = weight loss. NOT true. Not exactly at least. the idea that if you eat right and exercise, you will definately loose weight is not true in and of itself. Weight loss is a common result of this, especially if you are overweight, but it SHOULD read: Exercise and diet=healthier body. Some people see this in reduction of weight, others see it in body fat %, some see it in increased overall feelings of health and conditioning, and yet others see it in size reduction. The important thing is to track multiple areas, because until we know how our bodies react to the change, you don't know which area will improve.

2) You have to eat at least 1200 calories a day minimum or your body goes into starvation mode. This is a pet peave of mine. The premise is absolutely TRUE. But the static calorie number is false. Let look at this logically. I am a 6 foot 2 inch male that weighs 193 (whoo hoo) lbs. there is NO way 1200 calories will even come close to keeping me out of starvation mode, heck, that is my LUNCH sometimes. What you need to do (and I have heard multiple different percentages out there) is take your at rest calories (you can find this on the site if you put in Maintain for your goal) and take about 70 to 75% of it. THAT is a good way to find out what your minimum calories should be.
That 1200 calorie number was an average for WOMEN that was floated years ago and caught on, nothing more, nothing less. Forget 1200, if you really want a solid number that is taylored to your exact body, see a nutritionist.

3) Carbs are bad, so is fat. Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong. How many times must this be said by doctors. Carbs are as important as any other type of calorie. The reason carbs got a bad name is because with the advent of processed flour we as a species eat too many simple carbohydrates. Simple carbs are broken down by the body faster then our body can use them, thus they are stored (fat cells). Closer to the truth is that simple carbs in large quantity are bad. Things like white flour will break down fast in your body and are almost totally absorbed (not much of it goes out the other end, if you will). If you want better carbs, eat whole grains, wild grains. They contain complex carbs, much more difficult to break down, and the body can take it's time burning the calories they have stored.
FAT is a very wide term, too much fat can be bad, yes, but Fatty Acids are essential to our bodies for a multitude of things, don't be swayed by the name, don't exclude fat from your diet, just try to make sure it's good fat more then bad, eating fat doesn't necissarily turn it into fat, in moderation, just like other foods, fat is important.

4) Some foods burn more calories to eat then they contain. Well, technically this one is true for a couple of foods (mostly veggies), but if you look at the facts usually this turns out to be a break even point as opposed to a negative (or very close too it). But you need to remember one thing about this, we aren't trying to break even with the food we eat and the calories it takes to eat them, there is a reason why we eat calories, our bodies need them! Better to focus on food that give you the RIGHT kinds of calories then foods with very few calories.

5)You can target fat loss areas. NOT true. There is no way to make that fat around your thighs go first. Sad to say, but true. Your body doesn't work like that. Your body burns stored fat FIFO (First in First out), your body is lazy (sad to say), it will take the easiest energy it can get first. So that food you ate will be the first to be burned, then it will take the stored fat that is easiest to break down (the newest deposits). So those persistant "love handles" will probably be the last thing to go. You CAN target areas for muscle growth, but that doesn't speed fat loss in those areas, what targeting areas WILL do is make those areas look much better once the fat does come off.

So that is my little spout about health and fitness. I'm sure others have plenty more. But lets make sure we stick to things that have factual basis please. If just one person learns things from this, it will help.

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So, after about 6 months on here, I tend to see similar questions repeated over and over, not because people don't listen, but because the posts go stale and people don't see them. Which is why I'm posting and I hope that other Vetrans of the site will contribute too so that people with some common questions will have them answered before they need to ask.

AS a note I have done extensive research and talked to doctors and nutritionists about all of this stuff, so I would request that if you do have things to add here, please make sure they are truths as opposed to rumors or thoughts.

Mike, any update on Sticky posts? Hopefully, this could be a sticky post candidate.

Anyway, here are some things I have learned from various sources that may be helpful. Please chime in if you have any other good facts about health, fitness, nutrition...etc. that may head off the disconnect between information and posts.

1) Exercise and diet = weight loss. NOT true. Not exactly at least. the idea that if you eat right and exercise, you will definately loose weight is not true in and of itself. Weight loss is a common result of this, especially if you are overweight, but it SHOULD read: Exercise and diet=healthier body. Some people see this in reduction of weight, others see it in body fat %, some see it in increased overall feelings of health and conditioning, and yet others see it in size reduction. The important thing is to track multiple areas, because until we know how our bodies react to the change, you don't know which area will improve.

2) You have to eat at least 1200 calories a day minimum or your body goes into starvation mode. This is a pet peave of mine. The premise is absolutely TRUE. But the static calorie number is false. Let look at this logically. I am a 6 foot 2 inch male that weighs 193 (whoo hoo) lbs. there is NO way 1200 calories will even come close to keeping me out of starvation mode, heck, that is my LUNCH sometimes. What you need to do (and I have heard multiple different percentages out there) is take your at rest calories (you can find this on the site if you put in Maintain for your goal) and take about 70 to 75% of it. THAT is a good way to find out what your minimum calories should be.
    That 1200 calorie number was an average for WOMEN that was floated years ago and caught on, nothing more, nothing less. Forget 1200, if you really want a solid number that is taylored to your exact body, see a nutritionist.

3) Carbs are bad, so is fat. Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong. How many times must this be said by doctors. Carbs are as important as any other type of calorie. The reason carbs got a bad name is because with the advent of processed flour we as a species eat too many simple carbohydrates. Simple carbs are broken down by the body faster then our body can use them, thus they are stored (fat cells). Closer to the truth is that simple carbs in large quantity are bad. Things like white flour will break down fast in your body and are almost totally absorbed (not much of it goes out the other end, if you will). If you want better carbs, eat whole grains, wild grains. They contain complex carbs, much more difficult to break down, and the body can take it's time burning the calories they have stored.
    FAT is a very wide term, too much fat can be bad, yes, but Fatty Acids are essential to our bodies for a multitude of things, don't be swayed by the name, don't exclude fat from your diet, just try to make sure it's good fat more then bad, eating fat doesn't necissarily turn it into fat, in moderation, just like other foods, fat is important.

4) Some foods burn more calories to eat then they contain. Well, technically this one is true for a couple of foods (mostly veggies), but if you look at the facts usually this turns out to be a break even point as opposed to a negative (or very close too it). But you need to remember one thing about this, we aren't trying to break even with the food we eat and the calories it takes to eat them, there is a reason why we eat calories, our bodies need them! Better to focus on food that give you the RIGHT kinds of calories then foods with very few calories.

5)You can target fat loss areas. NOT true. There is no way to make that fat around your thighs go first. Sad to say, but true. Your body doesn't work like that. Your body burns stored fat FIFO (First in First out), your body is lazy (sad to say), it will take the easiest energy it can get first. So that food you ate will be the first to be burned, then it will take the stored fat that is easiest to break down (the newest deposits). So those persistant "love handles" will probably be the last thing to go. You CAN target areas for muscle growth, but that doesn't speed fat loss in those areas, what targeting areas WILL do is make those areas look much better once the fat does come off.

So that is my little spout about health and fitness. I'm sure others have plenty more. But lets make sure we stick to things that have factual basis please. If just one person learns things from this, it will help.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Nice summation. I would also add that if a person is eating properly and exercising but not seeing a change in themselves the way they expected that it could be a genetic problem that needs to be addressed by a physician. I'll use my wife as an example here.

For the past year she's been working out regularly changing the way she was eating and all toward getting fit and losing weight. Well after a year there was no change and it was becoming very frustrating and depressing for her. She was developing a tighter body but at a larger unacceptable size. It turned out that her cholesterol was way over the top and it wasn't due to diet but genetics. Once the doctor put her on statins in 8 weeks she could not only see the change in herself on the scales but also in the mirror.

So, as we get older as, we start to become our parents there's a lot of truth in the commercials that tell us that who and what we are today has a lot to do with out genes.

Good post and thanks.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    bravo :drinker: bravo!!!!

dd
  • kap1970
    Options
    WOW is this my husband????

Unlike my husband I have battled weight issues my entire life. There are so many aspects that effect people who have dealt with obesity or food issues their life it is tough to say it all. At one point in my life I zoomed to 270 lbs, I was always active. As I battled this, what I call addiction, I constantly looked at new "quick fix" to loose weight. The scariest was the all liquid diet that sent me into surgery to have my gallbladder removed because I wasn't getting enough fat.

That last 2 years I have drastically changed the way I think about food, exercise, and nutrition. Everyone needs to cater their diet and exercise regime to what works for them. For me, sugar is a drug. That is why I label this an addiction. When I say sugar I mean white flour, processed foods, alcohol ect. My body can not burn these things so it stores it as fat. My husband can process carbohydrates like crazy, he goes for one 20 minute run and looses 5 lbs. OF COURSE, MEN!! I choose to stick to a lower carb diet (NOT NO CARB, RIGHT CARB as Steve mentioned).

Let's not forget the mental aspect of many people with weight issues. If you have been chronically obese there is probably no person on this planet that knows more about eating right and exercising than you. More than likely there deeper reasons why you can't gain control of the situation. You need to dig into your own thoughts when you are grabbing that piece of chocolate and see what set you off. For me its stress, and anxiety. My personal trainer showed me about my mental self image relating to food issues and how out of control I was. I actually cried one time when she looked at my food diary and told me not to eat craisins. That is one we laugh about, but it does make me cringe to think about it. If you cannot afford a trainer I recommend the book, "Loose Fat Not Faith" by Jeremy Likness. He focuses on whole life improvement, which my journey is about. If you decide to hire a trainer, interview them, make sure they understand your personal goals, your history, and if you have them your feelings about what you eat. Most of all be prepared to stick with them for the time you need.

So trust me, take it in doses. One small step at a time. Allow yourself time to make the changes, did you know it takes 1 month to change a habit??? Steve lost 34 pounds in 4 months, it took me 2 years. He has changed the way he thinks about food and exercise quickly because this has never been an issue for him. For me is has taken me my whole life. So please be patient, it will come. Don't beat up on yourself but reward every small step you take. You don't have to give everything up you need to adjust the way you do things. This has been the most important thing I have learned from my trainer.

I went from 270 lbs to healthy, fit, and an INSTRUCTOR that my students look up to because I am strong and fit (I still can't believe this). Am I the smallest skinniest person at the gym? Absolutely not, do I still have goals I want to accomplish, absolutely! The main change is I am healthy, happy, and looking forward to more changes, and more discoveries about myself. For some people, they can make these changes quickly, for others it takes time. Ask yourself how long you have had these unhealthy habits. Now ALLOW yourself to take the time to change them, one step at a time, and give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself when you do grab a piece of cake. Move on and move forward.

If we could all be on the Biggest Looser it would be great. Imagine having a totally controlled environment with a personal trainer at your side every day for 3 months. We would all drop 5-10 lbs per week. But we are not, we are living our lives and change happens slowly. We need to adapt to these changes and accept them in our lives.

This is my first posting, Congratulations for everyone who is on here for taking the steps to improve. I look forward to using you guys as a support group as my husband has.
  • kap1970
    Options
    Oh, and PS...I don't track my weight loss on this site....Its a great site but I use some other tools.
  • banks1850
    Options
    *bump*

(just want to give people a chance to read it since it isn't sticky and will go away fast)

thanks for the replies guys. Love ya babe, thanks for the support, comments.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Perfectly said. Great job:flowerforyou:

And more thing.........DIET PILLS DON'T WORK!!!!!! The above said this the miricle pill for all.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Patience is the most important ingredient in any healthier path.

And the second most important ingredient is loving yourself the way you are right now.

(IMHO.)

:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post, I too have noticed a lot of repeat questions, and not just because they go stale, sometimes you see the same basic question posted several times a day.

I have found myself getting really irritated with answering the same questions and I know that people are new here everyday, I know that some only get their health information here, I know that some totally rely on Oprah. I think the best advice any of us could give is to read, ask your doctor real questions, and use all the resources available to you so you can sort the overload of diet information out on your own, and if you happen to help someone else along the way that is great for you and them!
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Great thread with lots of spot-on information.

Good job to all!

:flowerforyou:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great summation.

I do find it interesting about the amount of calories you should eat. While I was set at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week, I found, through experimenting, that i lose that 2lbs a week much more consistently if I eat 1400 - 1600 a day (I usually try to stay around 1500) I just tried your suggestion of see what your at rest caloreis are to maintain weight and that is the range that 70% - 75% of my at rest calories puts me in.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Cool, I didn't even think to actually test the theory, glad to know I am on target.:blushing:
  • banks1850
    Options
    bump