Do soda tea & coffee count for water intake?

Options
does soda, tea and coffee count towards the 8 glasses of water that you are supposed to drink a day??

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You will get varying opinion on this but I do. All liquids count. Most physicians tell you to get fluids and count soda, coffee, juice, milk etc. I don't drink soda much but I count my coffee because it is water. But I do try to get at least 6 glasses of tap water. :flowerforyou:
  • siskell224
    siskell224 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i count tea and coffee b/c they are water based but i don't count soda at all b/c it's chemicals and sugar. however, it just tastes so good :tongue:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't, least of all soda. all three of those things contain caffeine, which acts as a diuretic, meaning that it will make you more dehydrated. you're supposed to balance out every 8 oz caffeinated drink with 4 oz water to cancel the affects out.
  • nicolebarr03
    Options
    Your 8 glasses of water are supposed to keep you hydrated, your body cleansed, and also regulate your bowel movements.

Once the water is contaminated (coffee, tea, juice, etc.) it will still keep you hydrated some, but the effects aren't as good. If you are trying to follow a healthy lifestyle AND lose weight, my advice would be to try and drink at least 8 glasses of uncontaminated water a day.

Drinking 8 glasses of water was my biggest struggle. I've learned that two water bottles (32 oz) is all I need so I try to make drinking those two bottles my goal. If you drive at all, taking water in the car is the best way to drink it fast in my opinion.
  • christahollis
    Options
    no.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I only count tea as water intake. The others make you dehydrated. Noooooooooooooooo.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I agree with some of the others tea and coffee because they are mostly water. No on the soda. I count my drinks with crystal light in them. Because they are flavored water
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Just putting this out there.

1. Water is a diuretic also.
    2. Caffeine is only a diuretic in quantities above 300-500mg.
    3. If you drink caffeine on a regular basis the diuretic effect and other effects will lessen or become nonexistent.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/5/591

There are some other great articles on nutrition also.
  • sweettea84
    Options
    I agree. I did weight watchers for a while and they let you count water based drinks as water.