healthy work lunches

Options
novatina9k
novatina9k Posts: 3 Member
I need some help figuring out what to do for healthy lunches to take to work. I have a fridge/freezer and a microwave available to me. I dont like to do the frozen dinners too much sodium for me ( trying to cut back ) Im not a huge sandwich fan but occasionally I do that. My favorite so far is my chicken chinese that i make. Brown rice, chicken, and chinese veggies. but i cant have that all the time. Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    leftovers!
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I bring salads made with interesting veggies (radishes, peppers, mushrooms, carrot) and fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries). It may not sound the most interesting but it gives me lots of vitamins and nutrients to give me a good boost through the afternoon. I also find that I'm so busy during the day that I don't have the time to enjoy anything else. I would rather save the calories/fat/protein for my dinner that I can really enjoy.
    The key is to make salads interesting and vary them instead of just eating a pile of lettuce.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    chicken and veggie wraps ...... hummus and veggies..... yogurt and fruit... salads are a few
  • aarastoo
    aarastoo Posts: 3
    Options
    I just made a pretty simple (and tasty) lunch. I microwaved a cup of brown rice (Minute rice brand), a can of black beans with a little taco seasoning, and a bag of frozen Birds Eye veggies (Asian medley). I split it all in half and put it into two tupperwares. Very delicious and very easy, convenient lunch to bring to work. Around 300 something calories total. That and a few cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and strawberries and you'll be full and satisfied :)
  • ahimsamel
    ahimsamel Posts: 4
    Options
    Personally, I do porridge for lunch or just breakfast cereal - I find it convenient and easy to vary with added extras (raisins, blueberries, banana etc) - and the slow release energy really keeps you going if you do long days. You can also now get travel cereal containers that keep the milk seperate to take in daily. (These work for salad and dressing too btw). Sounds like you have a bit more flexibility but I was someone who used to skip breakfast and lunch regularly and then be so hungry in the evening I'd eat way too much then - this way I do at least manage to fit in eating something during the day.
  • ahimsamel
    ahimsamel Posts: 4
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    Shakes! Make a shake at home if you like to blend fruits and such together, or just mix some protein powder and milk together in a bottle. :)
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a fridge and microwave too. I tend to take leftovers if I have 'em. Otherwise salads or sandwiches with tuna or lunch meat cut up, laughing cow wedges, carrots, cucumber slices, broccoli, hard boiled eggs, bananas, apples, strawberries, oranges, tomatoes, pretzels, etc. I sorta mix and match depending on my mood and what I have at home.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just made a pretty simple (and tasty) lunch. I microwaved a cup of brown rice (Minute rice brand), a can of black beans with a little taco seasoning, and a bag of frozen Birds Eye veggies (Asian medley). I split it all in half and put it into two tupperwares. Very delicious and very easy, convenient lunch to bring to work. Around 300 something calories total. That and a few cherry tomatoes, baby carrots and strawberries and you'll be full and satisfied :)

This sounds yum, low cal, tasty and fairly cheap to make, gonna try it!
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    1 ) Leftovers
    2 )Half turkey sandwich and either veggies and yogurt dip or a small soup from the deli near my work
    3 )Protein shake (I mix the juices I want in my blender bottle and then put the shake powder and ball in a snack baggie, then mix when it's time to have it.
    4 )Veggie burger (surprisingly good) or chef salad from the cafe across the street if I didn't pack.
    5 )Leftover rice and a green giant veggie side dish that you steam in the microvwave, sometimes with chicken if I have leftovers.

I usually keep an orange on my desk along with yogurt covered raisins or sweet chili pistachios, because going to the snack shop or vending machine in the building is expensive and full of unhealthy choices.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Veggie burger on multi grain flat bread

or

100 calorie tortilla
    string cheese

small amount of meat; chicken, roast lowfat meat
    red onion

olive
    corn
    black beans

taco sauce

insert items; press ends in and roll tortilla up

Taste best baked 10 minutes or microwave 1.5 minutes

Top with pico de gallo
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    You can poach eggs in the microwave too - break an egg into a coffee cup, pierce the yolk once or twice (otherwise it goes all explodey), add about a tablespoon or so of water, and microwave it for 10 second blocks until it's done to your liking. You could have a poached egg on a bed of spinach with some microwaved bacon on the side or something.
  • dawgfan94
    dawgfan94 Posts: 4
    Options
    I enjoy wraps made with high-fiber, low-carb whole wheat tortillas (the ones I find are 71 calories and 12g fiber each). They are great for turkey, ham, tuna or chicken salad, taco/bean/corn wrap...just about anything. The fiber in the wrap, along with the protein in the meats, keeps me full and satisfied. Another good idea: Greek yogurt. 4 oz has as much protein as a 1/4 cup of tuna! Protein keeps me full and provides energy for my afternoon--no more "2:30" feeling. LOL
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i like to make a big pot of either brown rice, bulgur, quinoa or other healthy grains mixed with some sauteed veggies at the beginning of the week--that acts as a good base for whatever i want to add on top that day--leftover chicken, tofu cubes, fresh veggies. that and a little bit of low fat sour cream or even sriracha/ketchup in a smaller container on the side is both filling and not boring.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pot of vegetable soup with turkey burger at the beginning of the week and take that for my lunches. My other favorite is preparing a stir fry with tons of veggies and chicken and just eating that every day too. makes life much easier to just prepare once a week!
  • faithinhim2
    faithinhim2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sometimes I go by my fit foods and they have pretty good meals for 290 calories...
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I make my own "frozen" dinners. On Sundays I will roast a chicken, sweet potatoes, and a veggie and divy it up into containers. Each week will be something different, a meal, sandwich, soup... or a combination of the three.