Replies

• SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    One more here :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning into veganism myself, I felt so much better eating this way. I don't feel like crap or go into food comas. I also feel better working out
  • RyleeNoelle
    RyleeNoelle Posts: 361
    Options
    Me! :)
  • THEsnails
    THEsnails Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and vegan for 5 of those!
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Transitioning now :) there is a group on here-Happy herbivores, that is very helpful!!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I just watched some clips of Kathy Freston in interviews on daytime TV. Found them here: http://www.kathyfreston.com/

I really like her - great advise, RachelMichell - thanks!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Me :)
  • vulgarities
    vulgarities Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto-vegetarian, part-time vegan. I'm trying to have more vegan days though.
  • stingraycat
    stingraycat Posts: 33
    Options
    So many of you have responded! It's hard to keep up. But I like to see that there's a lot of veg people here.
  • stingraycat
    Options
    i also just wanted to say that I initially went vegan for animal welfare, but what has kept me vegetarian and brought me back to veganism is really the environmental, human rights, and health factors. As I said, I'd have no problem eating backyard eggs (and for a short time I had a few chickens at my parents' house just for eggs), and honestly, if I could find it in me to kill an animal, I'd probably eat flesh from time to time. I just disagree with modern factory farming, and I think it's bad to hurt someone/an animal but it's even worse to pay someone else to do it. And the way we raise food animals is sooooo bad for the environment and significantly lowers the property values of nearby homes while poisoning groundwater. Ugh, not to mention how insanely unnatural it is to consume the breast milk of a different species. I mean what group of people decided to get together drink drink cowtitty juice?

Also, I hate it when people ask, "if you were stranded on a desert island with nothing but a cheeseburger..." you know the rest. I mean, I would eat human corpses if I were hungry enough.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but that just brought me to another interesting idea. I have never ever in my life ever been so hungry that I would eat a person or even my cat. I'm so privileged yet it torments me. I'm so grateful for this abundance of food, but sometimes I do wish that it were harder to come by. Maybe I'd appreciate it more and not stuff my face so much. Not saying that I want to live in a developing country, just saying that I should reevaluate my relationship with food.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. We take food for granted in this country. Compared to pre-1950's industrialization of food, we spend vastly less for our food, compared to our salaries. That makes us value it less. Most people would argue that food is not cheap, but what they don't know is the hidden costs: the depletion of our soil from unwise farming practices, the creation of super-weeds from Round-up Ready GMO crops, the taxes we spend on corn subsidies, tax-payer funded health-care for industrial food eaters and toxin-sick farm workers, the depletion of our water table from raising SO MUCH beef and pork, the list could go on and on. It's truly frightening what we are doing - and no one WANTS to pay attention!!!!!!!! Those who do find a way to make well-raised food affordable, giving up other wants for the sake of doing the RIGHT thing.

I eventually became vegan for my health, but before that, I ate only animal products that I knew were humane. In October 2009, after watching Food Inc, and reading Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" I decided to completely change how I bought animal products. It was hard finding humane sources for meats, but it is possible - that is, if humane slaughter isn't an oxymoron for you. It's also very expensive, so I've had to convince the family to just eat much less of it.

Living in an omnivore household where I'm the shopper and the cook, it's often impossible for me to practice my beliefs, because others are demanding what they want. I win some battles and lose others. I constantly have a battle in my own mind and soul about buying hot dogs or pizza because others in my family want it. Am I being true to my beliefs if what goes into my own mouth meets my standards? Or will I be held accountable for caving in and not enforcing what I know is right with others?

If you want a tool to re-evaluate your relationship with food, I would recommend Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma." I read the youth version, about 8th grade level, because I really liked the layout and the short, concise sections that easily lead from one point to the next.

I think it's great that you acknowledge you need to be more grateful for your food. It has made me think about my own negligence in this area. Maybe we should start a "grateful" thread. On food notes we could log how many times a day we paused before eating and thought about how that food came to be on our plate. This would definitely be good - very good!!
  • Primer06
    Primer06 Posts: 2
    Options
    Vegan here. I'd love to see what you all have been eating.
  • izrbluer
    izrbluer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a wanna be vegan but my taste buds keep taking me back to bread - I can pass on the meat, it's just the other stuff made from animals. But I'm also totally just in it for all the health benefits too. I'm following a lot of ultra endurance athletes that are raw vegan. I want to be an ultra marathoner so I'm trying to follow what they do.

I've only just started about a week ago
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, been toying with a vegan diet for a bit now since I became vegetarian but I find it hard because I live with 4 omnis. It was hard enough becoming a vegetarian, finally!! I'm so happy I did!!

I'm looking into cutting out milk/cheese/yogurt etc. first, eggs won't be so easy for me but we buy them from a local farm and the chickens are free to roam and are well looked after so I am happy buying them from there. :)
  • stingraycat
    Options
    I think it's great that you acknowledge you need to be more grateful for your food. It has made me think about my own negligence in this area. Maybe we should start a "grateful" thread. On food notes we could log how many times a day we paused before eating and thought about how that food came to be on our plate. This would definitely be good - very good!!

That's a fantastic idea!
  • jenngarza
    jenngarza Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! I just started about two weeks ago and I have to admit it was hard learning what we can and can not eat hell I am still learning LOL...Its so nice to see others out here :)
  • LaPatrizia
    LaPatrizia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yup yup, vegan here (9 years) . Yay for vegans! :)
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey all!! I have a question for you...I would like to move more towards a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, I have an issue that I am allergic to soy and while I eat a ton of salads and veggies I don't feel full and I am worried about my iron & protein levels. I cannot eat products that are made with soy (like veggie burgers, tofu) and was wondering of you had any recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hey all!! I have a question for you...I would like to move more towards a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, I have an issue that I am allergic to soy and while I eat a ton of salads and veggies I don't feel full and I am worried about my iron & protein levels. I cannot eat products that are made with soy (like veggie burgers, tofu) and was wondering of you had any recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Seitan is a delicious food made from wheat gluten that packs a serious protein punch, so you could definitely try that. Black bean burgers, lentils, portobello mushrooms and soy-free protein powder such as hemp, gemma pea or brown rice would probably be beneficial to you!
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Seitan is a delicious food made from wheat gluten that packs a serious protein punch, so you could definitely try that. Black bean burgers, lentils, portobello mushrooms and soy-free protein powder such as hemp, gemma pea or brown rice would probably be beneficial to you!

Thank you!! I love black beans. That is one of my main meat replacements. I just get so frustrated with this allergy that I can't focus on trying to find what will work, I keep focusing on what I can't have. I really appreciate the advice.