Coffee and Creamer

Options
Hi. I am currently using the Coffee Mate Fat Free French Vanilla Creamer. There are 25 calories per TBSP. I love my flavored creamer but I am finding that it is taking up way to many calories. I would like at least 2 cups in the morning and one cup in the afternoon. That would be fine is I only used the 1 TBSP serving size, but I would like at least 3 tbsp which means 75 calories for one cup of coffee!! I don't usually use sugar with this creamer. Anyway, I am trying to figure out an alternative to lower my calories per cup of coffee. I don't mind cutting down on coffee, but I am going from 6-8 cups a day to 2 a day for 2 days and its just to soon. :yawn:

And I know that his is probably going to sound ridiculous coming from a grown woman, but I would rather have my coffee than eat breakfast. So if I can't lower my coffee calorie intake, can I just skip breakfast and have my coffee instead?? I mean, I know that I can still make sure that I don't have to few or too many calories that way but does my body think that those calories aren't food so it goes into starvation mode despite the calories??

Replies

• its time for change
    Options
    Hi. I am currently using the Coffee Mate Fat Free French Vanilla Creamer. There are 25 calories per TBSP. I love my flavored creamer but I am finding that it is taking up way to many calories. I would like at least 2 cups in the morning and one cup in the afternoon. That would be fine is I only used the 1 TBSP serving size, but I would like at least 3 tbsp which means 75 calories for one cup of coffee!! I don't usually use sugar with this creamer. Anyway, I am trying to figure out an alternative to lower my calories per cup of coffee. I don't mind cutting down on coffee, but I am going from 6-8 cups a day to 2 a day for 2 days and its just to soon. :yawn:

And I know that his is probably going to sound ridiculous coming from a grown woman, but I would rather have my coffee than eat breakfast. So if I can't lower my coffee calorie intake, can I just skip breakfast and have my coffee instead?? I mean, I know that I can still make sure that I don't have to few or too many calories that way but does my body think that those calories aren't food so it goes into starvation mode despite the calories??
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    My only advice for flavored coffee is probably to buy coffee with the flavor in it already, and use a creamer that has no or little calories.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about Splenda (I know there's a lot of controversy) but walmart and most grocery stores sell sugar free coffee syrups (like vanilla and caramel). Sometimes I use these with half and half and it gives a nice flavor.
  • ladyd48337
    ladyd48337 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that the flavored gourmet coffee's are going to be the best bet as well. I use splenda in my coffee with fat free creamer which costs me 14 calories a cup total I think (not exact). Also, most of my favorite coffee shops (starbucks, tim hortons, etc.) offer splenda! Its great!
  • cammom
    Options
    I feel for you! International Delight's Sugar-free French Vanilla is 20 calories/Tablespoon. It is pretty good. I can get by with only 2. I think if you very gradually reduce the creamer you can get your taste buds used to it. Good luck!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I'm a BIG coffee with flavored creamer fan and I do not want to give it up. Kudos to you for even thinking about this. I've heard of some people who said, since it's not food, I'm not going to measure it. Personally, I add 2 measured tablespoons of creamer to my coffee and put the calories into my diary and that's just the way it is. I liked three cups, also, same time as you, but now I limit myself to one in the morning WITH a small bowl of cereal or mini bagel with fat free cream cheese or oatmeal or yogurt. I did find I gained a little "wiggle" room by using 1% milk instead of whole and I switched brands of yogurt to one with only 60 calories instead of 100. I used splenda for years, meaning I could get by with only a dash of the creamer, but the side effects were painful, joint aches and morning fatigue. I already have enough other problems without ingesting some more. If you want to make a change, have one cup your regular way so you have some satisfaction and then try the suggestions until you hit on one you can enjoy all the time.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...same thing w/ me!:ohwell:

I can't help it I'm sooo hooked and I have to be honest ...it make my mornings soooo much better....I just love the taste of my coffee!!!

I have been limiting to one big cup in the morning....and I have found that if I mix it up a bit I can save some cals....like I put in 1 tbs of the ff vanilla and then 3 tbs of the sugar free vanilla....I put the one fat free because its creamier and well its what I want! lol

I also love love love mint flavored...like mocha pepermit and chocolate peppermint so I may put on of those in too w/ the sugar free vanilla (the one I get is only 15 cals)....I don't add splenda or sugar but I do taste the difference which is so so w/ the sugar free creamers....but I'll live w/ it for now.

A friend here told me about a coffee syrup that is really low and flavored w/ splenda I think but is really good so I'm gonna look for that I think its at Walmart called Divinci (pam is that right?)

but I wish luck and I always add my coffee and its calories to my breakfast and then I have a small peice of fruit and yogurt...or a fiberone bar...or packet of oatmeal...so its not too bad!:tongue:

hugs!
    Ali
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Having worked coffee for a long time, DAvinci does make many sugar free flavors. You can buy them at the grocery, walmart, target, world market etc.

The coffe mate creamers have trans fat, so you may want to switch to the sugar free syrup and regular half and half. If you truly want to lower the calories you should wean yourself off of the cream by adding a little milk each week in place of the cream. I had to do this just because I drank sooooo much coffee. A good way to wean is to measure your usual cream and cut 1/4 out and add the milk of your choice, then after a week or two cut that in half and so on and so on until you are down to just milk.

Let's face it though, nothing is as good as a nice creamy cup of coffee in the morning but you should eat some food for breakfast, doesn't have to be big. I have a piece of toast or an apple with some peanut butter and my coffee. JUst a little something to get your system some fuel!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a big mug of coffee on my drive to work and I put the Sugar Free Hazelnut creamer along with splenda in it. I use 2 tablespoons and it works for me.

It's 40 calories for the creamer. I guess I'm not too conerned about a small amount of calories. I'm usually under by about a 100 calories due to exercise. If you really want your creamer you can easily burn off those calories in a day.

I would not suggest substituting coffee for breakfast, while you are consuming calories they really aren't ones that your body can use for fuel.
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    I too have to have my coffee mate.
    I use the french vanilla sugar free, its only 15 calories per serving:drinker: :drinker:

I just budget it into my morning calorie count. I give myself 200 calories for breakfast so this morning
    I had a poached egg 70 calories a whole wheat light english muffin 100 calories my coffee mate 30 calories. would rather have my two servings of coffee mate that sugar free jelly on my muffin.

But dont skip breakfast you need to give your self some fuel and if you have food in your stomach it is burning calories and jump starting your metabolism for the day.

Good luck
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I am one of those people too...I have to have my coffe mate in my coffee....I will cut back on my breakfast...yougurt 60cals....plus I am a more of a low carb vs calorie person...it works for me.

dd
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their understanding and suggestions. I'm still not sure which route I am going to take but at least now I have some options before me other than to quit drinking coffee. I developed the coffee habit about 5 years ago and has just become a part of my life and my daily routine. I used to think that people that just rolled out of bed and had coffee were deluding theirselves. Now I understand,lol. But, on a postive note, my sister stayed the night with me several months ago and I realized that the first thing she does in the AM is to eat. Eat to wake up. I used to do that too. Now I don't want anything except my coffee. I wake up, get out of bed, walk straight to the kitchen, push the button on my one cup pod machine because it makes it faster than a coffee pot, get out the creamer and a spoon, turn around pick up my cup, fill with cream, mix, and down a cup. In the meantime, I am preparing my second cup so that it is ready and waiting to be mixed up after I dressed.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use organic half n half which is really yummy and filling. It is 40 calories per oz and I use 2 oz per morning in 2 cups of coffee and occasionally have 1-2 additional cups.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful I never jumped on the flavoured creamer bandwagon. I tried it once but I still just love my plain old fashioned coffee with non-fat milk and splenda or some honey.

I would use the flavoured creamers as a treat and resort to 1 a day and if you need coffee, well, it should be regular coffee with milk.

5 yrs ago I was a regular double-double kind of girl and then I switched to milk n sugar, then milk n sweetener, them milk n honey and now non-fat milk and splenda (sometimes honey).

Its a conditioning process. You get used to the taste if you condition yourself.