look at my diary feeling lightheaded

Options
I don't know if it's because i've been eating more the last couple weeks or i'm not eating the right things.
Never had this issue before.

I've been eating more the last few weeks to slow down / stop my weight loss. Looking for my maintenance intake.

The last week i've felt lightheaded at times when i stand up fast....... never had this happen before.

I know my diet isn't perfect but compared to what it used to be i eat healthy now.
I was eating like a human garbage disposal before with very few veggies in my diet.

Replies

• 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I lost 80 pounds a few years ago I had a similar problem. I was told my heart rate hadn't gotten used to my smaller body, so it would happen, especially when I went from sitting to standing. I even fainted a few times from it. I was told by my doctors to just do a granny stand (get up really slowly). until my body was used to the smaller me.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can lead to dizziness.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Looks like it should be fine. Do you have High Blood Pressure? You might want to get your BP checked. There are many reasons for being lightheaded, the quickest one to diagnose is BP.

To be safe you should probably to see your Primary as they can run some tests. You are eating enough that it shouldn't be diet related.
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Drink a gallon of water at least a day, no high blood pressure, no diabetes etc.......

When i was in worst shape the doc told me he was amazed at how good everything checked out for someone who abused their body the way i did.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    This has been happening to me too...dr said blood pressure is a lot lower...now healthy...but still the change can cause this feeling. Also my blood sugar is lower...again healthy, but not what my body has been used to.

As long as you can get over it ok by just slowing down and taking a break...it is supposed to go away in a few months.

Again...MY dr said this about ME...just passing it along, but it could be very different with you. ( disclaimer ...lol)
  • Julietecosse
    Julietecosse Posts: 165
    Options
    When I lost 80 pounds a few years ago I had a similar problem. I was told my heart rate hadn't gotten used to my smaller body, so it would happen, especially when I went from sitting to standing. I even fainted a few times from it. I was told by my doctors to just do a granny stand (get up really slowly). until my body was used to the smaller me.

Thanks for posting this. This happened to me, and it was quite scary. I went to my doctor, who didnt know why it had happened. He obviously didnt know about smaller body and heart rate, so it is reassuring to have read your comment.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You probably have low (or lower than before) blood pressure not high.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I was in my early teens this use to happen to me, my doctor told me it was just due to low blood pressure(I had fainted a couple of times but mostly just lightheadedness). Like another person said, standing up slowly can help.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I noticed a day there where you left a 4-500 deficit, and your calories seem low to start with- I could easily eat 2000 cals a day... what is your calorie intake set to? If it is to lose weight, mfp already calculates a deficit for you, so you wouldn't really want/ need to leave more of a deficit. The closer you get to your goal weight, the smaller the deficit should be- to avoid losing lean muscle. Your profile pic looks like you don't have a lot of weight to lose?
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel lightheaded when I stand too. I didn't even mention this to my father, who is an internist, and he said that he wanted to check my labs because I'm probably anemic since I don't get much iron from my diet and also because I've lost a lot of weight pretty quickly. I haven't gotten blood work done yet (I'm a big baby about needles so I haven't set foot in his office) but I've started to take iron pills. He didn't think it was a big deal, so I'm not really worried.
  • acman145acp
    Options
    I noticed a day there where you left a 4-500 deficit, and your calories seem low to start with- I could easily eat 2000 cals a day... what is your calorie intake set to? If it is to lose weight, mfp already calculates a deficit for you, so you wouldn't really want/ need to leave more of a deficit. The closer you get to your goal weight, the smaller the deficit should be- to avoid losing lean muscle. Your profile pic looks like you don't have a lot of weight to lose?

I'm still set to loose 1lb a week.

I'm pretty much where i want to be weight wise........ I just want a much lower body fat percentage so my body looks really good at this weight (lol i'm vane i guess)

I'm really looking for that magic maintenace number right now since i've found that loosing weight is relatively easy for me.
    Lost all this weight in just over ~ 3 months now.

I've actually been 186 in the am the last 3 days so i'm down 69lbs now if it holds
  • acman145acp
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts about this happening to other people who have lost a lot of weight in short time......
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Been super stressed out lately ? Stress can do wonders to you , I was having dizzy spells /being light headed when getting up fast and turns out it was stress related according to my doc. Took a week off of work and I was fine after the 2nd day ... went back to work and it started happening again... so I quit lol
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Appears you should add more fresh fruits and veggies to your diet and less processed/prepared foods. At times your calorie intake looks a little low also. All in all, I would recommend talking to your doctor about this. Best wishes to you!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what mogriff1 said. Need a more balanced diet. You may have cut out sugar entirely from your diet, that may have caused the lightheaded-nees, as it seems like you are exercising everyday? And losing weight in a short time may be the cause of it. Body is signaling you about something, may want to check with the doc.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did notice your lack of meeting your calorie goal for several days.
    I also noticed that you tend to eat a lot of sausage. This is not a good meat source to be eating consistently.
    I would recommend looking at changing up your diet a bit where there is less fast food/quick pre-made food and go for a more balanced diet that does have the whole food pyramid in it.
    There are good fats that your body does need to help with burning off stored energy even after you are done exercising. Along with a host of other vitamins that you get from fruits and vegetables.
    I always pack apples, and bananas as I am heading out the door along with almonds and lots of bottled water.
    Investing in a small cooler to keep these items chilled in your car is well worth the expense.

Now getting back to your dizzy spells:...hydration is the key. I know you say you drink a gallon of water everyday. Too much water is also bad for the body. I attached a link to mayo clinic on what is good for an active male/female and what is considered too much. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    If you continue to have dizzy spells even after you slow down while getting up from a prone or seated position it is time to see the doctor. There is an underlying cause that needs to be looked at.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The last week i've felt lightheaded at times when i stand up fast

More salt will help this, it sounds like low blood pressure due to inadequate hydration and rehydration requires salts not just water (the low blood pressure arises through deficiency of salt in the bloodstream, so volume is reduced to maintain concentration). Too much water on its own can deplete sodium levels

"Movement hypotension" or "orthostatic hypotension" if you want to research it more.

I note you're low carbing (as I am), adding salt is acknowledged as necessary on a ketogenic diet - carbohydrates help retain sodium in the body, less carbs and the kidneys flush sodium and water. So salt, bouillon, stock cubes, low carb isotonic drinks will help.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I looked at the past 5 days..and the food you are eating is high in sodium...

Water could be your answer
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This was happening to ma a lot when i lost a lot of weight quickly. I have since gained some back but still had the lightheadedness. All that changed when I started eating frosted mini-wheat cereal for breakfast. The only thing that significantly added to my diet was a big influx of iron. Your body uses iron in the production of Hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the molecule in your red blood cells that bind to oxygen so it can be transported throughout your body. Maybe you should try eating something like frosted mini-wheats or taking a small iron supplement. If that helps, there you go. If not, so you eat some straw for a few days. I like the tasted and texture and I love how it keeps me regular. (I recently reset my ticker and weight to try to restart my weight loss. I actually began my journey with MyFitnessPal at 294 lbs.)
  • Jeneanhh
    Jeneanhh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs once and this seemed to be the same in my case. Never went to the dr but I think it was just because my body wasn't use to the new me. It went away after a while. I would say though if yours does not go away soon I would see your dr