How do u know if you're burning muscle or fat ?

Options
Sounds like its better to do strength training than cardio? I get my 10,000 steps a day in, am I better off to not? And just lift 3xs week? Been at it a month, nada! So I just read someone else post about burning muscle.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    To answer your subject line, you don't, but you also don't really need to worry about it directly.

The things you should do to help prevent muscle reduction would be lifting weights, getting rest, and consuming adequate macronutrients (get enough protein, don't cut calorie intake drastically low).

Sounds like its better to do strength training than cardio? I get my 10,000 steps a day in, am I better off to not? And just lift 3xs week? Been at it a month, nada! So I just read someone else post about burning muscle.

I wouldn't make it an either-or scenario, but if I had to choose only 1, I'd choose weights for body composition purposes. But don't get caught up into thinking that cardio is bad. Cardio is great and if you enjoy doing it, keep doing it.

When you say "been at it a month, nada" what exactly do you mean?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I won't say better. But cardio IS unnecessary for fat loss. I lost 40lbs of fat with virtually no cardio...by strength training 3x a week, and getting my protein in.

7434194_8492.jpg7434194_7770.jpg

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

That being said, I'm thinking about incorporating in more cardio once I get back to where I was in those pictures...but it's a preferance and overall fitness thing, not for fat loss.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    To answer your subject line, you don't, but you also don't really need to worry about it directly.

The things you should do to help reduce muscle reduction would be lifting weights, getting rest, and consuming adequate macronutrients (get enough protein, don't cut calorie intake drastically low).

I wouldn't make it an either-or scenario, but if I had to choose only 1, I'd choose weights for body composition purposes. But don't get caught up into thinking that cardio is bad. Cardio is great and if you enjoy doing it, keep doing it.

When you say "been at it a month, nada" what exactly do you mean?

Excellent post man.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    nada what? weight loss?

what about your food? your diary is closed!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nada as in weight loss. I'm opening it now. Thanks for helping me out!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think i recall somewhere on here saying if your body is burning muscle then your urine smells a lot like ammonia.

not sure if that's true or not.

in my opinion a mix of the two have been working for me and my goals. weight training is far better for fat loss but not ideal for seeing too many changes on the scale. cardio isnt so good for fat loss (for me) but is good for seeing scale results. i want to see both because i want to wear a smaller size and because i know my ankle and knee joints are going to suddenly stop hurting because my 200 pound body has changed from 33% fat to 25% fat. too much weight for your frame = too much weight for your frame.

of course everyone is different. i have a good friend who lost 80 pounds doing nothing but cardio (elliptical and arc trainer). i think that worked for her because she never really exercised AT ALL before then.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    i think i recall somewhere on here saying if your body is burning muscle then your urine smells a lot like ammonia.

in my opinion a mix of the two have been working for me and my goals. weight training is far better for fat loss but not ideal for seeing too many changes on the scale. cardio isnt so good for fat loss (for me) but is good for seeing scale results. i want to see both because i want to wear a smaller size and because i know my ankle and knee joints are going to suddenly stop hurting because my 200 pound body has changed from 33% fat to 25% fat. too much weight for your frame = too much weight for your frame.

of course everyone is different. i have a good friend who lost 80 pounds doing nothing but cardio (elliptical and arc trainer). i think that worked for her because she never really exercised AT ALL before then.

Also...how long did it take your friend??
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    I quit doing my elliptical & took it outside. Found a cool park that has hilly,shady trails all thru the woods ... It's my new happy place. Have a really bad neck (accident) so if I lift over 10lbs I'm in the dr office getting shots in my neck. I wonder if I can build muscle w/ 8 lbs?
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When you burn fat it will catch on fire and cause a huge flame.

when you burn muscle it generally just smokes.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Im speaking from past experience. Obviously fallen off the wagon which is why Im here. I did 10,000 steps a day and only did light resistance once or twice a week and I lost 9kgs in 2 months. Weightloss is 70% food, 30% exercise. You need to get your food right and maybe everything will fall into place. Maybe make your food diary public so we can help you :-)
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Rats! I thought I did a few mins ago. I'll try again. Think I fixed it.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

a little less than a year. it wasnt just cardio, she fixed her diet as well. nothing radical - we'd still meet for a weekly meal at a favorite thai place - but was more sensible. she's also young (10 years younger than me) and you know how they are, they change a little bit in their diet and exercise and whoosh weight just falls off :laugh:

i did get the impression that even though she was happy with how she looked in her clothes, she wasnt too happy about unclothed. we're not THOSE kind of friends so I can't say for sure if she was still fairly flabby after reaching her goal weight, but she's now getting more into weight training and sems to be happy with the results she's getting
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bumping ppl on here got some good advices.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The only guaranteed way is to get a ketone urine test. If you have ketones in your urine you are burning fat.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

a little less than a year. it wasnt just cardio, she fixed her diet as well. nothing radical - we'd still meet for a weekly meal at a favorite thai place - but was more sensible. she's also young (10 years younger than me) and you know how they are, they change a little bit in their diet and exercise and whoosh weight just falls off :laugh:

i did get the impression that even though she was happy with how she looked in her clothes, she wasnt too happy about unclothed. we're not THOSE kind of friends so I can't say for sure if she was still fairly flabby after reaching her goal weight, but she's now getting more into weight training and sems to be happy with the results she's getting

Good points in the bottom there :). My point was...I know people who strength train that have lost substantially more fat than that in a similar period. I lost 40lbs in 3mos as I said above. AND, what they lose is primarily fat...whereas your friend probably didn't receive that benefit (as you sort of pointed out in your bottom statement).

Again, cardio is good for you...but it's not anywhere near the same as strength training for body recomposition/fat loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look at your diary - looks like you have your calories set to a static goal each day (i.e. exercise is already included) - correct?

What you are eating looks fine - but may be a little high on salt - not necessarily bad, but could be masking 'real' weigh loss. Cannot comment on the amount as I do not know your stats.

Can you do lifts that do not involve your neck/upper spine (e.g. leg press etc)?
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Good points in the bottom there :). My point was...I know people who strength train that have lost substantially more fat than that in a similar period. I lost 40lbs in 3mos as I said above. AND, what they lose is primarily fat...whereas your friend probably didn't receive that benefit (as you sort of pointed out in your bottom statement).

Again, cardio is good for you...but it's not anywhere near the same as strength training for body recomposition/fat loss.

yeah but you're a dude :laugh: i wouldnt expect to have the same type of results as you since i have significantly more estrogen than you and that's going to want me to be squishier. i mean i worked out with weights for 3 months and didnt lose 40 pounds... heck i've been at it for 5 months and only at 26 pounds and i've been pushing my 1 max reps consistently..

anywho, it's hard to tell though with people like my friends. since they werent super athletic to begin with, it's hard to say what their muscle mass would have looked like before. i dont think she had any body fat tests done but that would be interesting to see the results
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Haven't tried that. Squats even cause problems. Just sent back brazil butt lift for that reason. I have a bodybugg my ave TDEE is between 2000& 2500. Just bumpedy cals up after reading eat more to weigh less. I only get 5-6 good(?) hrs sleep per night Maybe that's it? Bmr is 1450
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried that. Squats even cause problems. Just sent back brazil butt lift for that reason. I have a bodybugg my ave TDEE is between 2000& 2500. Just bumpedy cals up after reading eat more to weigh less. I only get 5-6 good(?) hrs sleep per night Maybe that's it? Bmr is 1450.

Lack of sleep will definately not help weight loss.

If you have access to a gym, you may want to try out some other types of lifts/machines (obviously go light at first). Or better yet, see if you can talk to your doctor/physio about what you can do.

A lot of folks like the Jillian Michaels DVDs and really like them. I do not use DVDs - but I do not have the restrictions you do - so they are probably worth giving a go. Some have weights but you can just go lighter if necessary. They will help build endurance and can help with some muscle definition.

I would also try focussing on getting a lot of fluids and being aware of the salt in your food. Salt will not impede fat loss - but you may be suseptable to water weight if you have too much which may mask what I think of as 'real' weight loss.