Best Used Spices In Cooking!

Options
I'm making a large healthy grocery list and I know the key to healthy eatting is good flavoring. Can you tell me the most spices or rubs that you like so i can try. Still kind of new at this. Thank you so much! :D HAPPY MEMORIAL WEEKEND!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Garlic!
  • camelothosting
    camelothosting Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like Original Essence from Emril
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (the best, i even put it on eggs!)
    Garlic powder
    Lemon Pepper
    Fresh lime juice
    Cilantro
    Cocoa/Chile powder blend (amazing on steaks)
    light italian dressing
    cinnamon
    cayenne pepper (great on pasta and acts as a major thermogenic you'll sweat just sitting there!)

that's pretty much my go-to.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, curry, spicy things, cajun seasoning, pepper, anis, spicy things... Man... There are SO MANY!!!!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Crushed red pepper, chilpotle, pepper, lemon pepper (see a trend?), paprika, cumin, parsley(fresh is better but dried will do), cilantro(fresh is better but dried will do), cinnamon, nutmeg (delicious on greens), garlic powder, onion powder. These are my mainstays.

It's also nice to have chervil, dill weed, garam masala, chinese 5 spice, herbes de provence, marjoram (fresh is better but dried will do), rosemary (fresh is better but dried will do), and thyme (fresh is better but dried will do).
  • butilovechocolate
    Options
    Chile pepper, garlic powder, red pepper, onion powder, Weber grill makes an awesome chipotle marinade powder packet...Just about anything has its place, and can really make things flavorful!
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone that has helped me tremdously!! :D
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (the best, i even put it on eggs!)
    Garlic powder
    Lemon Pepper
    Fresh lime juice
    Cilantro
    Cocoa/Chile powder blend (amazing on steaks)
    light italian dressing
    cinnamon
    cayenne pepper (great on pasta and acts as a major thermogenic you'll sweat just sitting there!)

that's pretty much my go-to.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    basil, thyme, oregano, curry, 5 spice powder, dill, pepper, garlic.. that's a start, use your imagination, have some salt but really watch those mixes with lots of sodium.

Avoid the sauces as they can have lots of sugars too. Tobasco is great if you want heat. Pepper flakes and other dried or fresh peppers are awesome. Feta cheese can be a great way to add flavor also.

Fresh celery is always a great way to add flavor to a salad.
  • nofatpants4me
    Options
    can you give more information on the cocoa/chile powder blend, please??
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My family have taught me almost every Indian and Arabic spice there is and there are 2 spices that stand out in terms of their versatile use

Summac (Arabic spice). This has a bit of a tangy taste. This is THE spice to use to replace for many sauces. Use it in salads (look up a recipe for Fatoosh salad). I also use it on top of burgers right before I take them off the grill. Same for steaks and most bbq meats.

Chaat Masala (Indian spice). This also is a bit of a tangy taste but this spice is a whole different thing. I use this on really hearty soups or on top of a chick peas salad. I use it on top of a fruit salad. chop up 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange and put some of this stuff on it. You will want to make your fruit salad your main meal!

There are a bunch of other spices that I consider essential for my cooking but in general, I consider these 2 great for versatility and how they can be standalone spices compared to most other spices which compliment other spices and rarely are standalone spices

Edit: OP, if you provide us with what kind of cuisine you like to eat or what type of cuisine is your primary cooking, then I think it'll be easier to point out. I cook Arabic, Indian, Afghani, Pakistani, Italian cuisines so my list of spices is completely different than somebody who likes European or Chinese cuisines
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love celery salt
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Garlic!
    Black pepper!
    Red pepper!
    These are my ultimate trio.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would also add non-spices such as minced garlic, capers, roasted peppers, chilli sauce, and olives.

As for spices, I love sea salt, Cajun seasoning, roasted pepper seasoning, and Italian seasoning. Specific spices like cumin, Rosemary, thyme, basil, curry, garlic powder, and lemon pepper seasonings all are great additions to your kitchen.

Happy shopping!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i grew up in a family where the kitchens of every family member had at least 2 shelves of their cabinet jam packed with spices.

my favorite spices are :

pink peppercorns, cumin, curry, herbs de provence, nutmeg, chili powder, cinnamon, basil, thyme, sage, ginger, thai basil, taragon, lemongrass, flavored sea salts, grated lemon peel, oregano, chives, dill, tumeric (or saffron if you can afford good quality), parsley, mustard seed, star anise, cardamom, cilantro....

also whenever possible i use fresh herbs too. if you live near a trader joe's check there because they will very often have small herb plants. i have thyme, basil and parsley and fresh herb is SUCH a good thing to throw in towards the end of the cook cycle.

dont be afraid to try a new spice. if you aren't used to spices and want to learn, then find a nearby spice shop near you, go in and they can suggest somethings for you to try
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bay leaves.
    Cloves.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    smoked paprika is the BEST. *superlatives*
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Gotta have garlic!

Fresh herbs - parsley, basil, rosemary, thyme.

Dried herbs - Herbs de Provence - excellent blend of various herbs, so good on grilled or roasted veggies, meats, fish, I use it all the time.