Do I need to do ab work if I do squats and deadlifts?

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Is doing squats and deadlifts enough to work my abs? Should I do some other type of ab workout on other days?

Replies

• jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you're doing deadlifts and squats on a fairly regular basis that should be plenty. I also do overhead presses which gives the core another bit of a workout too xD

Personally I tend to do ab exercises when I've a few minutes left at the end of a session and don't want to get setup on a machine or grab some free weights :p
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes. Abs are more supporting muscles (albeit very important) for squats and deadlifts. If you want to see more definition, definitely should work on various ab muscles separately.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yes you should and I do.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i still do ab exercises but not as much as i used to before i did deadliest, squats, etc...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it depends.

I wouldn't say that under all circumstances deadlifts and squats are all anyone needs for core training.

But I also wouldn't say that ab training is necessary in order to have nice abs.

As a very general statement, I think that ab work is over-rated and people tend to waste far too much time on it.
    For anecdote, I do zero ab work and when I get lean enough, my abs show (see pics for reference -- not that I'm ultra-lean but in some pics I'm "lean enough").
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't do ab work, just StrongLifts 5x5 (squats, deads, overhead press, etc).
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Every good lifting program will incorporate a small amount of ab work in addition to those lifts. I treat abs like any other muscle group. I work them once a week knowing that when I do compound lifts like squats, dead lifts etc the abs are being worked too anyway.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think it depends.

I wouldn't say that under all circumstances deadlifts and squats are all anyone needs for core training.

But I also wouldn't say that ab training is necessary in order to have nice abs.

As a very general statement, I think that ab work is over-rated and people tend to waste far too much time on it.
    For anecdote, I do zero ab work and when I get lean enough, my abs show (see pics for reference -- not that I'm ultra-lean but in some pics I'm "lean enough").

Same. I don't do any isolated ab work and mine seem to be OK.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Need, no
    If you want leaner/runner's look abs, don't do much direct ab exercises (stomach vacuums are good though - they work the same part of the abdominals that are engaged in heavy lifting movements)

If you want bulky-bodybuilder abs, then do direct weighted ab exercises
    It's all up to how you want them to look, a prolonged calorie deficit and low BF% will help in both cases
  • limbopanto
    limbopanto Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't think so. The only ab work I do are planks occasionally and mine are pretty defined.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't unless my trainer makes me and I do fine.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    From what I've heard from all the trainers I've worked with (that's 4), as long as you are holding in your abs during other exercises, you will increase strength in your core. I did a big kettlebell workout the other day, lots of swings, squats, lunges, deadlifts and pushups and my abs were killing me the next day (in a good way!)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eh... yes and no. If you are properly bracing with abs - not so much. If you feel your core crumble during squats and deads-- maybe?

Try using an ab roller.