Probably the craziest pizza question EVER!

Options
Ok, so I broke and had a small 10" pepperoni pizza today, so 6 slices. My first pizza in probably at least 90 days. So I looked up multiple small pizzas and they look to average anywhere from 1100 to 1500 calories for the whole thing. Logic would stand to reason that if you ate the whole pizza, you're hitting that calorie limit. So here's where it gets crazy. I'm EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to eating my pizza, in that I hate the crust! And by crust, I mean strictly the outside edge of the pizza. So, with that said, I never eat the crust, only the "toppings" portion and crust of any given pizza. So here's my question : if the entire pizza including the crust is 1500, how many calories (roughly ballpark) would anyone think I'm NOT consuming if I ditch the crust like I normally do? By that same token, which part of the pizza would have more calories; the crust or the toppings portion? I know, my mind works in ridiculous ways!

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    the cheese probably has the most calories and certainly fat. you probably saved 100 - 200 calories by not eating crust... just guessing.
  • christahollis
    Options
    I'm with you on that one. The crust has far fewer calories because of the obvious missing cheese, sausage, pepperoni...and so on.
    250 calories lost tops...
    if you lined those 6 pizza crusts edges up, in the shape of a piece of bread...you're probably looking at the equivalent of 2 pieces of bread.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bread has a lot of calories. fat has lots of calories too but I betcha there is more weight of bread per pizza than cheese by a long shot
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    So i'm the opposite so what calories did I save by not eating the cheese??
  • injuneer81
    Options
    i have an idea to guesstimate.

Figure out calories for an entire pizza crust.

figure out the are of the whole pie crust

Area = 3.14 X [Diameter (inches) / 2] X [Diameter (inches) / 2]

Divide Calories by Area and that will give you Calories per square inch of the whole pie crust

now figure the area again with the diameter minus 2 inches
    (figure that the outside crust is an inch wide on both sides of pizza)

Now subtract the two values that will give you total area of outside crust.

Multiply the outside crust area times the calories per whole crust and that will give you total calories for the outside crust..

Now divide that by total number of slices and you will have calories per outside crust per slice of pizza.

For example 10" diameter pizza. that has a total pie crust of 1000 calories.

Area of whole pie crust = 3.14 x 10/2 x 10/2 = 85 square inches

1000 calories / 85 square inches = 11.76 calories per square inch

Area of crust minus outside crust = 3.14 x 8/2 x 8/2 = 50.24 square inches

area of outside pie crust = 85 sq in - 50.24 sq in = 34.76 square inches

calories of outside crust = 11.76 calories per square inch x 34.76 square inches = 408. 78 calories per whole outside crust.

divide that into six slices and you get 408.78/6 = 68.13 calories per slice of outside crust.

now all you have to do is figure out the real amount of total calories per crust and the diameter and you are good to go.
  • injuneer81
    Options
    injuneers love math
  • injuneer81
    Options
    So i'm the opposite so what calories did I save by not eating the cheese??

it don't matta cuz u looks good
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. The crazy in me weighed all the crust. Then I looked up breadsticks and subtracted the equal amount of breadsticks from my calories.
  • stormdragon777
    Options
    Awesome, at least now I know I'm not the only with eclectic eating habits! :bigsmile: Thanks guys, I'll make note of all of this!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I usually ballpark that kinda stuff. Instead of 1.0 serving of 1 whole pizza, I might put 0.9 servings. Works for me. Calories are all estimates anyhow.

PS, I :heart: Pizza