How did you...

Options
Break the snacking habit? My particular habit is always snacking when I study or read a book (which I do a lot!). I've been doing really well this summer, especially with the help of MFP. But, when I go back to school in the fall, I'm really worried that I'm going to have an overwhelming urge to snack while doing homework like I always have. I was just wondering how you all have broke that one bad snacking habit so maybe I can stay on the right path for school!

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    you might try chewing gum. I find that if I have gum, I don't want to eat as much. Sorry I don't have anything better than that. Good luck. :smile:
  • richelle_ross
    richelle_ross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, mostly when I'm in class. What I do is make sure its healthy snacks, or snacks that have little calories and fat, such as fruits and veggies! i've really gotten into the mini rice cakes..gum doesn't really work for me, i take it out :laugh:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just subbed carrots (I loooove baby carrots!) and celery sticks, bell pepper sticks, etc out for the unhealthier snacks I was eating. Seems to have made a big difference - and I don't typically have to worry about eating "too much" of those. There's only so much you want to eat when you're snacking on stuff like that!
  • metsgirl31
    metsgirl31 Posts: 45
    Options
    When I study I do the same thing- I like to eat apple slices. They're yummy, and they take longer to eat than a lot of other snacks so I find i don't eat as many.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, healthy snacks, and don't even buy the "other" kind...
  • kstefanski
    kstefanski Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll definitely try the gum thing, and I'll start buying bags of baby carrots. I love carrots and they might be able to satisfy the constant want for something to eat while studying! :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I do the gum as well or drink a cup of green tea
    I also eat 3 meals and 3 snacks...never going more than (usually) 2-2.5 hrs w/ out eating something

Good Luck
    Kim
  • Yuri777
    Yuri777 Posts: 4
    Options
    I make sure to have healthy snacks like everyone else.
    I love apple slices and baby carrots.
    Another great thing is to have a huge glass of water with it too!
    Something else that I've noticed too is that you might just need a break and that is what the snacks are providing for you, so take breaks. I usually need a break about every hour of studying, get up and walk around. I like to clean a little during these breaks. :wink: