Ever Feel Like You Didn't Earn It?

Options
When I eat after I exercise, and let's assume that the meal has a lot of calories and I earned it through left over calories and exercise calories, I still feel like I didn't earn it and I shouldn't eat it. Does anyone else ever get that feeling? :frown:

Replies

• BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    bump
  • BReit1
    BReit1 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes! Even more than the feeling that I didn't earn it, I feel like I will destroy the workout I just did if I eat something high in calories!

I have to ask...when someone posts "bump" in a thread, what does it mean???
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Nope. For me it isn't a question of earning it. I don't view food as some kind of reward. I eat what I need to try and stay close to my weekly calories goals. Honestly, I have been WAY under all week, and am not too happy about it.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes feel that way, too, especially if I've exercised earlier in the day and am no longer feeling sweaty or sore. Kind of like...did I REALLY work out? When you're semi-obsessed with trying to regain fitness, all the days start to blur together. :p

Plus, there's a little bit of a thrill when I see that I've stayed under my calorie goal, you know? (no worries that I'm TOO far under, though - my diary is shared as a way to make me make SURE I never drop too far, heh.)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I have to ask...when someone posts "bump" in a thread, what does it mean???

Posting a "bump" reply moves the topic back up on the page so people will be more likely to see it and reply.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump means keeping the subject on top.

Sometimes I don't have time to eat all of my calories, like Monday nights, so I eat a fruit & seed bar, doesn't make up all of the calories, but I'm not left starving either.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic, my first thought was "do I ever feel like I didn't earn my weightloss?" And my answer would be yes. I feel like I didn't earn it because it hasn't been a struggle. I eat less, I exercise more, and the weight just comes off regularly. I haven't been starving myself or working out until I feel sick... nothing like that. Just nice hard runs to work, smaller portions, better food choices... nothing crazy.

But in regards to your other question, not really. I figure as long as I've done some exercise for the day, I'm allowed to have what I want. And with that attitude, it's easier to say no. I don't deprive myself, therefore I do not crave desperately all those things I love. I know I can have it.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    All the time, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I had to force myself to eat fruit last night because I knew if I didn't I'd go hypoglycemic.

If the problem is physical (you don't feel like eating), try taking a sip of milk. Sometimes when I'm hypoglycemic I feel very nauseous and don't want to eat. After a sip of milk, that goes away.

If the problem is psychological, then try taking baby steps. Pick something tasty but low in calories as your reward for exercise. You could eat a kiwi (50 cal) rather than a bowl of ice cream and still feel pretty good about yourself. Look at what nutrients the food is giving you and think about in terms of "my body needs that, I need to get my vitamins".
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I eat 15% off my TDEE every day. So as long as I exercise between 3-5hrs per week, I don't have to worry about eating back my cals. This works for me cause it takes the guess work out of the equation and the imminent feelings that can sometimes be attached to that decision. If I decide at some point I wanna exercise more then the 3-5 hrs per week, then i'll just up my cals for the whole week. Works for me :)