The most advantageous situation in which to weigh oneself?

Options
By advantageous here of course I mean under which circumstances will you weigh the least possible. I assume it would be in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, and after voiding and eliminating anything and everything possible? Is it true that you can weigh 1-2 pounds less after exercise from just water loss? I have also read that it is bad to weigh oneself in the evening, as that is the time when we are heaviest in the day. Is this true?

Replies

• nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For the most "accurate" change in weight one should always weigh on the same scale, same spot, at the same time of day - hopefully with a similar routine. I generally weigh in monday morning before breakfast right after I get up (it's always near the same time unless my work hours shift).

I hear weighing in the morning is best - however I personally see all measured weight as +/-3 to 4 pounds because the scale has it's tolerances and our bodies will shift in weight throughout the day or across the week for reasons other than just calories (Water, stress, salt, etc). But none of that really matters, it's all about being healthy or working towards being healthy. For me personally, if I had to choose between 5lbs but am stronger, faster, eating better, and more hydrated vs losing 45lbs and being at my goal weight without improving those other things, I rather just lose the 5lbs. :-)
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In the morning, before you eat or drink anything, and immediately after using the restroom is the best time to weigh yourself.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In the morning, before you eat or drink anything, and immediately after using the restroom is the best time to weigh yourself.

:drinker:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    any the morning before eating but after the morning poo and pee :laugh:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ive been a morning weigher for the most part, although if you are a heavy dinner person (which I am) Ive found weighing late afternoon, before dinner is usually best. Ive had enough time to "eliminate" whatever i need to and usually eat light through the day. So it is kind of more individualized. You need to know your body.

Worst times are after high sodium meals/days, TOM (which I dont think matters to the OP :wink: ), after showers (body actually takes on water from the shower) and workouts (you should be drinking a lot of water during workouts and unless you sweat buckets, it will register).
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Ive been a morning weigher for the most part, although if you are a heavy dinner person (which I am) Ive found weighing late afternoon, before dinner is usually best. Ive had enough time to "eliminate" whatever i need to and usually eat light through the day. So it is kind of more individualized. You need to know your body.

Worst times are after high sodium meals/days, TOM (which I dont think matters to the OP :wink: ), after showers (body actually takes on water from the shower) and workouts (you should be drinking a lot of water during workouts and unless you sweat buckets, it will register).

So if i weigh myself after a 40 minute swim, I'm gonna be really heavy??? Haha
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Lol if I weigh before a shower then after I easily have two plus pounds added :-) I weigh on the morning before eating or drinking much (I have to drink something in the morning lol my body craves the water) I try not to drink much and weigh after using the restroom and before getting dressed :-)
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options

What would you say would qualify as a high-sodium day? anything over 2,000 mg?

Thanks to all who responded. I weighed myself a few days ago in the evening and got a nasty shock - I gained 2 pounds this past month. So I decided to do something about it and that is what led me here. Before I had been following a plan similar to this, but I had allowed myself too many daily calories as well as weekly cheat meals. No more.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You should check out the eat more weigh less group. Mfp gave me WAY lo little Cal's. I was tired and grumpy all of the time :-)
    Anywho its an awesome. Group and u are able to cutomise. Things more to you than mfp and their cookie cutter settings :-)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've found in the morning right after waking up and before eating or drinking anything.

I agree with the commenter above -- the group Eat More to Weigh Less is awesome. Lots of wonderful and smart information out there.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options

exact for me
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    In the morning after an exercise rest day. I am always down after a rest day.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

So if i weigh myself after a 40 minute swim, I'm gonna be really heavy??? Haha

You'll turn into a fish... :tongue: And boy are they FAT!