What does TDEE and BMR have to do with weightloss?

Options
Someone told me once that it has to do with how many calories you burn in a day just sitting around on the couch, and that you should eat 200 less than your TDEE, is this right???

& what else does the TDEE and BMR tell or help?

Replies

• theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Search the forums for helloitsdan's "In place of a road map", PU_239's "How to lose weight correctly" and join the Eat More to Weigh Less group here. You're asking great questions and these places have fantastic answers. They'll help you find what works best for you. I wish you the best!
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate. These are the calories necessary to sustain your basic metabolic functions (breathing in and out, your heart beating and perfusing your organs). TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is an estimate of the caloric intake necessary to sustain your life (what you do on an average day). So, if you cut 15-20% off your TDEE (and change nothing else i.e. no additional work outs) you will create a calorie deficit and lose weight. If you utilize your TDEE as a calorie guideline you should aim for that and not log your exercise calories as they should already be estimated in. Does that make sense?