Buying a Fitbit...Should I? Or NO?

Options

Replies

• Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (I think that's correct terminology), basically how many calories you burn each day. Theoretically, that is what the calories burned amount should be on the Fitbit. However, some find it more reliable than others---some say it is too low, others say it is too high. That's why I consider Fitbit's number just a starting point and add or subtract as needed.
    BMR = How many calories your body needs just to perform basic daily functions, without any activity (i.e., if you were in a coma).

Here is a link that I think discusses this in more detail.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?hl=TDEE

Please note that not everyone agrees about never eating less than your BMR. I am trying to lose weight slowly in order to lose mostly fat, not muscle, and also to make it easier when I start maintenance to do so without having severely restricted calories, so I always try to eat at least my BMR and usually a bit more. Either way, I think the information in the above link will explain TDEE in more detail. Another good place to look for information about TDEE and how it can be used to determine how many calories to eat is the group "Eat More to Lose Weight."
  • Raddichio
    Options
    It's true that some activities are not reflected accurately by Fitbit, which is why I use my HRM when I'm working out and record the calorie burn from the HRM under exercises in MFP. I have my Fitbit set up to communicate with MFP, so they work together to make sure calories are counted, but not counted twice. For details on how to do that (it's very simple), check the "Fitbit Users" group for posts about this. It sounds complicated at first, but once you have the fitbit and try it out it's very simple.

Incidentally, for most of my workouts, the calorie estimate from Fitbit has been very close to what my HRM says. Today I did some weight training and kept my Fitbit clipped to my pants, instead of in my bra, and Fitbit underestimated calories for that, since there wasn't as much lower body work as upper body. However, I had my HRM on, so I got the correct numbers, which were communicated from MFP to Fitbit. I've done weight lifting before, with the Fitbit on my bra, and the numbers were much closer.
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, so much! I'm going to best buy and buying one today! :) Figured that way, if I end up not liking it, I could prob get my money back..but I'm thinking I'm going to love it! :) I do not have an HMR...but have thought about getting one...but really...the only thing I do is run, or exercise videos....or walk...so really no weight lifting unless its my arms....and not hardly then...again, Thanks everyone for the input! I'll be sure to check out the FitBit forums, because I'm sure I'll have questions!! :)
  • Raddichio
    Options
    Hope you like it. I know you can lose weight without it---I've lost most of mine without one, but it was both a reward for my hard work and a motivator to keep going for me. I get the sense that most people like it, but there have been those who haven't.

As I mentioned, the calorie burn that my HRM and Fitbit show for my aerobic/cardio workouts have been amazingly close. However, I never have the super-high burns that others here report. I think the highest burn I've ever had was almost 250 for one-hour. Usually, it's closer to 200 for an hour. Others have said Fitbit doesn't reflect as high a burn as they are really getting (don't know whether they are using HRM to confirm that or just basing it on what a database says for a particualr workout). My advice would be to watch the numbers it gives you and see how you do using that as another source of information in losing weight. Some have to adjust the numbers up or down to fit their particular circumstances, and you may have to do that also. In my case, they just happen to coincide pretty well.

Someday I may just set aside my HRM and go with Fitbit's numbers, but for now I like comparing the two and using the HRM as the final authority.
  • McDougal416
    Options
    Thanks, Raddichio. I had lost almost 35lbs w/o a fitbit when I had my 3rd child. Now that I've had my 4th I'm starting all over again and I have NO motivation whatsoever...even having NO clothes that fit me...and I know that I don't want to buy new clothes..still isn't a motivation. I can't seem to get it. I have days where I finally have some, and so I step up, and then something happens...kids get sick..Allergies kick my butt forcing my asthma to kick in, or what not...so I'm hoping this will help me get back to moving, and since I'm pretty competitive, get me wanting to do better everyday...I hope! Thanks for all of your help and info! I soo greatly appreciate it!
  • Raddichio
    Options
    With four kids, you have your hands full and, obviously, your priorities straight. You can't tell a sick child, "Sorry, but this is Mommy's exercise time, so you'll have to take care of yourself for the next hour." So accept from the start that you won't always be able to do everything you want to do right now to lose weight, due to more pressing demands. I would highly recommend the "Fitbit Users" group for more insight into how the Fitbit works. I'm a numbers person, and it always fascinates me how we might look at the same numbers from totally different perspectives---it seems each person must figure that out for himself/herself, and when he/she does that it just clicks and the information becomes more meaningful. There are a number of Fitbit groups, but the "Fitbit Users" seems to be the most active, with several people who are knowledgeable and willing to answer questions.

By the way, I totally relate to the allergies/asthma dilemma. I've had them all my life and it often makes it difficult to do what I want to do. I've been trying to get in exercise regularly, and it does seem to be helping, although I always have to monitor my breathing carefully when doing so.
  • McDougal416
    Options
    Yes..Its hard to say that even when they AREN'T sick...so I try and work out when they are napping...but then when they nap I'm like...aaah..peace and quiet! LOL ;) Anyway..I think I joined that group..now am trying to find the group. LOL Which I just looked up and saw groups there by the msg boards. LOL I've just started my 2nd cup of coffee...so not totally awake yet. LOL But, I am definetly going to check it out. So far, I like it okay. It's like a normal pedometer, and doesn't count all my steps..but oh well. As long as I've got the majority of stuff..and what not..then I'm good.... I did do the sleep thing last night and that was awesome to look at. It showed me getting up w/my daughter at 5..and it was pretty close to when it said I went to sleep. I had guesstimated 15 min's and it showed 11 min's. Can't wait to see what it does when she DOESN'T get me up..which she is sleeping thrue the night, just that she rolled over and couldn't get back to her original sleeping position. haha So, she thought it was time to wake up. Thank you for all your help! I've greatly appreciated it! Good job on your weight loss! And I can't wait to see that number on mine! LOL :) AGAIN! ;)
  • balancejenn
    balancejenn Posts: 234
    Options
    Bump
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For those of your who use both a FitBit and HRM, do you log your HRM calories on MFP or the FitBit site? And how does the HRM work exactly? Does it have a timer that you set before your workout? Do the ladies on here have any issues keeping the chest strap in place?

I've been using the FitBit for about a week now and I like it because since I live in the city and take public transportation or walk everywhere, I felt like all that walking wasn't really being claculated properly on here. It doesn't really work on the elliptical but the elliptical lets me enter my age and weight and has the heart rate handles, so I enter that. My one area of concern is cardio classes like Zumba. I can set a timer on the FitBit for the class and I feel like the calorie reading afterwards when I sync with my computer is fairly accurate but I think an HRM would be more accurate.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    For those of your who use both a FitBit and HRM, do you log your HRM calories on MFP or the FitBit site? And how does the HRM work exactly? Does it have a timer that you set before your workout? Do the ladies on here have any issues keeping the chest strap in place?

I've been using the FitBit for about a week now and I like it because since I live in the city and take public transportation or walk everywhere, I felt like all that walking wasn't really being claculated properly on here. It doesn't really work on the elliptical but the elliptical lets me enter my age and weight and has the heart rate handles, so I enter that. My one area of concern is cardio classes like Zumba. I can set a timer on the FitBit for the class and I feel like the calorie reading afterwards when I sync with my computer is fairly accurate but I think an HRM would be more accurate.

I have no experience with the fitbit yet, but to answer your question about the chest strap, I have had no issues with it not staying in place. I put mine right under "the girls" and it is secure and tracks well! Hope that helps!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Are you ANALytical? If so, get it. If not. Waste of money
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I just ordered on, so excited. I admit i like a gadget, i find they keep me in the game.
  • andrewbeatty
    andrewbeatty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Its a great tool to record activity and integrate your information from myfitnesspal. At a bare minimum it will remind or prompt you to get from behind your desk and get active. When I first got it four months ago, I was on average walking 3000-4000 steps a day, sometimes much less. I now walk a minimum of 10,000 steps and climb 20 flights of stairs a day. This increase in activity coupled with a much healthy balanced diet (no junk) has resulted in me losing over 30lbs in 4 months and taking my body fat from 31% to 23%. I'm now moving towards introducing more gym time to get to my optimal weight. FITBIT has proven the best $100 I spent.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I wear both my Fitbit and HRM during a workout. I think of MFP as my central "hub" of data - It's where I log my food and track my workouts. The only thing I type into the Fitbit site is to update my weight changes.

If you have to choose between the two, I'd get a nice HRM before getting the Fitbit. If you already have an HRM that you use during workouts, you can add a Fitbit to your "toolbelt". I used the HRM solo for a few months, now I have both and I like how the Fitbit tracks my non-workout activity, as well as my sleep-time.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    All of the hype is making me want a Fitbit too, mostly to be accurate about what my TDEE is and to track sleep. Has anyone tried just using their HRM all day, every day to get an average of TDEE?
  • Raddichio
    Options
    I have both my HRM and Fitbit on during exercise, and I log the HRM results on MFP. Here's how I do it. When I start exercising, I start my HRM recording and I also press and hold the button on the Fitbit until the timer starts. When exercise ends, I stop my HRM and I again hold the button down on the Fitbit until it says "STOP." Holding the button on the Fitbit in this manner causes it to view the time period between the first time I press and hold the button to the second time as a unique activity period.

Here's how I coordinate the numbers between MFP and Fitbit, using my HRM information for my exercise. First, I check the Activity Log at Fitbit (choose the tab at the top of the dashboard) and determine what time the Fitbit shows the exercise period started. The starting time and length of time exercised is generally within a minute or two of what the HRM says---a nonsignificant difference. Take note of the start time because you will need that to enter in MFP. Then go to exercises in MFP and enter your exercise, including the length of time exercised and the start time from Fitbit. MFP will communicate with Fitbit and that exercise period will show up with the same description you gave it on MFP and the identical calories burned information that you entered from your HRM. This is how you keep from getting credited twice for the exertion during your exercise period. Remember, you have to have synced the MFP and Fitbit sites in order for them to communicate and share information---once the two sites are synced there will be a place for you to enter start time of your exercise period, as it is not there otherwise.

Or, you can just use the Fitbit and forget about the HRM. Most of the time the numbers are fairly similar, although sometimes if the workout is more lifting and doesn't involve much moving around, the Fitbit might credit it with less caloriesi burned. I prefer, for now at least, to use the HRM information.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I got one last week and I don't regret it. But, you have to be adept at interpreting numbers and it's essential to understand the concepts of TDEE and BMR, where calories come from and where they go (cotton-eyed joe). If you would have trouble calculating your own TDEE, then it is probably going to be confusing.

fitbit is a really good tool for helping you calculate your TDEE. The web portal is a nice interface too... I plug everything into MFP (food, calories burned from HRM during intense exercise that fitbit isn't so adept at calculating), and I look at my FitBit dashboard for a good overview of where I am over the course of a day.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nah don't buy it for yourself.... buy it for me instead ;)
  • Raddichio
    Options
    Yeah---what Secretlobster said ... In many respects, Fitbit is a fancy pedometer with a few extra bells and whistles, but in tandem with the website and the information it presents to you each day, I find it very helpful. I think the website and the fact that access to it is at no charge is what really makes the Fitbit valuable to me.

If you just want someone else to tell you what to eat and when and not have to figure out the reason behind it or figure it out yourself, then the Fitbit probably wouldn't be nearly as appealing. You have to know what to do with the numbers it's giving you and, at first, it takes a little while to understand where the various numbers and information are coming from; but it's not rocket science. It's just another tool to help in understanding how we lose/gain/maintain weight over time---one that many like and find beneficial, but not everyone.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is nothing more than a glorified pedometer.

If you want something that will give you more impact get a HRM. I HIGHLY suggest getting a digifit setup.