Sub 20 minute 5K

Options
I'm currently training to do this. I don't even know if it's possible, but I'm training hard (40 miles per week). 9 months ago I couldn't even run to catch a bus.

Anyone else out there with this goal or already achieved it? I would love to hear about your experiences.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is your 5K time now?

My first 5K was in 2005. I ran 29:xx. That was on 12 to 15 miles per week. I made rapid improvements when I upped my mileage. 40 miles per week got me into the 23s. There is a HUGE difference between 23s and sub 20. It requires a lot more mileage and you have to have a balanced training program that includes tempo runs, interval/fartlek sessions and an LSD. My last 5K I ran in 19:36 on a very hilly course (probably 19:20s shape on a flat course right now). My training consists of 55 to low 70 miles per week with all of the above elements incorporated. If you are interested in details, there is a link to my training log on my profile.

With all that being said, setting a goal of a specific time is all well and good, but you can't just pick an arbitrary time and run your workouts to that pace in hopes that you'll get there. You should run your workouts at the paces prescribed based on your current level of fitness. This is how you improve. Plug your latest race time into the McMillian running calculator. That will tell you what pace your workouts should be.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    PB is 22:36 about a month ago http://www.dailymile.com/people/GaryR9/entries/15140722

My training is pretty unstructured. I used to do most of my training on a treadmill, but just lately most of it outside and I can see from that calculator that the pace is too slow. Looks like I will need to set myself a plan. My ultimate goal is sub 20, I know it won't be my next race. The great thing about 5K is there is a free local timed run every Saturday so I can try for a new PB whenever I feel ready.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    PB is 22:36 about a month ago http://www.dailymile.com/people/GaryR9/entries/15140722

My training is pretty unstructured. I used to do most of my training on a treadmill, but just lately most of it outside and I can see from that calculator that the pace is too slow. Looks like I will need to set myself a plan. My ultimate goal is sub 20, I know it won't be my next race. The great thing about 5K is there is a free local timed run every Saturday so I can try for a new PB whenever I feel ready.

I looked at your profile and I see that you are a Masters runner like me. I think that McMillan has the easy and recovery run pace too fast for Masters runners, especially for me. Most of my easy runs are in the 9:00 to 9:45 range and my recovery runs are in the 9:45 to 10:15 range. My workouts are right on the paces there.

There is no harm in doing the easy runs slower. You are building aerobic base on those runs and you are getting that benefit at a slower pace too. The risk with running the too fast is that you won't be fresh for the hard workouts and also the every present risk of injury.

For a point of reference, it has taken me about 2.5 years to go from 22:22 (close to your current PR) to sub 20 and that is with running a lot of miles. It can be done, just don't rush it. The worst thing would be to get hurt pushing it too hard and have to take time off.
  • GaryRussell123456
    Options
    Would a good plan for now be to just concentrate on increasing mileage to around 60 and not worry too much about the pace? Would I see a lot of benefit from this?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mileage with the occasional tempo run got me close to sub 20 in 1 year (started running again in Feb 11). I ran 20:10 in March with the preceeding 3 months averaging around 70 miles per week. I did no speed work and did just a few tempo runs. I used the McMillan pace calculator and ran the paces given. I ran 2 x 90 minute runs, 1 x 2 hr run, 2x 60 min runs, 1 x 60 to 180 min run, and 1 x rest day a week. I also ran doubles 2 to 4 times a week depending on how I felt. I ran two weeks high mileage and each third week cut back to around 55 to 60. I am a masters runner, 52 years old.

Lately I have cut the mileage back to around 60 and added weekly speedwork and tempo runs to try and get below 20 this summer.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Would a good plan for now be to just concentrate on increasing mileage to around 60 and not worry too much about the pace? Would I see a lot of benefit from this?

Yes, building that base to 60 would provide a huge benefit. Keep in mind, that you don't have to do all of it at easy pace. You can throw in 20 minutes of tempo once per week. Toss in 8x100m strides at the end of a run once per week and do some fartlek stuff too. Like 4x3:00@10K pace with 3:00 recovery. Maybe alternate fartlek one week, tempo the other. Also, get the long run up to 2 hours duration. That should all be done at east pace for now. You get the benefit from the LSD run after 90 minutes.
  • GaryRussell123456
    Options

Yes, building that base to 60 would provide a huge benefit. Keep in mind, that you don't have to do all of it at easy pace. You can throw in 20 minutes of tempo once per week. Toss in 8x100m strides at the end of a run once per week and do some fartlek stuff too. Like 4x3:00@10K pace with 3:00 recovery. Maybe alternate fartlek one week, tempo the other. Also, get the long run up to 2 hours duration. That should all be done at east pace for now. You get the benefit from the LSD run after 90 minutes.
    I will do this. Just been looking at your training log. Very impressive half and full marathon times. Personally I'm too scared to run a marathon in case the years of bad living catch up with me. I know I cannot race a marathon, but I can race a 5K. In my local Parkrun I can place in my age group with sub 20 minute 5K, never in a marathon.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I will do this. Just been looking at your training log. Very impressive half and full marathon times. Personally I'm too scared to run a marathon in case the years of bad living catch up with me. I know I cannot race a marathon, but I can race a 5K. In my local Parkrun I can place in my age group with sub 20 minute 5K, never in a marathon.

Thanks. It's been a lot of hard work, that's for sure. Everything this year is for the goal of qualifying for Boston. I am running Baystate Marathon in Lowell, MA this October. I have to run better than 3:15 to qualify. Seems like a huge jump but all my other race times demonstrate that I should be able to get there. We'll see. :)
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    yea that not too hard when your thinking about it from an athletes point of view, 5k is what 3.1 miles right so even at something as slow as a 6:30 pace gets the job done with that, I run one mile in 5:12 so im assuming I could crank that out in about 18 minutes or so but ive never timed 3.1 miles always either 1 - 3 - 5 - 10 - or 13.1 point is just train up and you should knock that out just fine
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Hi Gary, I am thinking you are talking about the Parkrun events there?
  • GaryRussell123456
    Options

Yes, Brueton Parkrun, Solihull is my local Parkrun.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Yes, Brueton Parkrun, Solihull is my local Parkrun.

I run Parkruns too in the London area. Brilliantly organised events they are, I love them.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    yea that not too hard when your thinking about it from an athletes point of view, 5k is what 3.1 miles right so even at something as slow as a 6:30 pace gets the job done with that, I run one mile in 5:12 so im assuming I could crank that out in about 18 minutes or so but ive never timed 3.1 miles always either 1 - 3 - 5 - 10 - or 13.1 point is just train up and you should knock that out just fine

<sarcasm>Yeah, it's a piece of cake. That's why almost everyone who runs a 5K comes in under 20 minutes. </sarcasm>
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

<sarcasm>Yeah, it's a piece of cake. That's why almost everyone who runs a 5K comes in under 20 minutes. </sarcasm>

Can't argue with sound logic...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    As far as going under 20, I did it once. Not sure if I'll get there again or not.

I think you have to up the mileage and see where you land. Don't be afraid to try some longer stuff. My favorite distance is 13.1 hands down.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You're gonna find the path varies for everyone.

I started running all over again last June while trying to drop 25 lbs and having not exercised in over a year.

In 6 months I put in a 20:12. I didn't follow a training plan, but just tried to keep a balance between hilly, Long, and tempo runs... averaging 20-25 miles per week. My longest run leading up to that was in the 17-18 mile range (training for a Half).

Like others have suggested (to which I totally agree), you gotta keep building up that long run, and implement speedwork. Running hills will certainly help you get that speed up.

I'm going to find out on the 10th if I can get below 20, even though I haven't done any real speedwork in months.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd be ecstatic if I could go sub 25 min on a 5K!
  • vigilante405
    Options
    You are readying for a marathon, not a mere 5K.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Mere 5K????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know some insanely talented runners (a couple of whom qualified for Boston) that will tell you a fast 5K is a very hard race......
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Mere 5K????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know some insanely talented runners (a couple of whom qualified for Boston) that will tell you a fast 5K is a very hard race......

It takes guts to run a hard 5K! I know a lot of veteran runners who stay away from them because that all-out effort is so brutal.