Potential Fixing of forums

Options
Alright, as you can tell by my post numbers, I'm a newbie, and being one I may be posting this in the completely wrong section but here it is.

After entering a cardio session, for me walking 30 minutes uphill @ 4.0 burning 260. Once you go back to the food menu, it says "You've earned 260 extra calories from exercise today." To me this is completely backwards, you workout in order to create a DEFICIT amount of calories. The previous statement either makes it sound like you somehow ate 260 calories, or that you are allowed to eat 260 more calories which is totally defeating the purpose of working out and burning those calories if you are just going to replace them. We workout to create that deficit of calories and keep them, not to have it sound like "Congratulations you burned 260 calories, now go eat more and defeat the purpose!"

Sorry again if this is the wrong spot for this, but I just think it needs to be changed. Anyone else agree or may I potentially be reading this wrong :bigsmile:

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    this site takes the deficit from your daily activities--it will help to read the threads posted at the top of the forums for a complete explanation. good luck!
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    your daily calories are set to meet your goal. So if lets say is 1400 a day, thats what you eat in order to lose weight at the rate you have set to meet your goal. That is already creating a deficit to what your body is using.
    When you work out you use more calories and so you need to eat more in order to meet the 1400 goal you have set for the day.
    It is important to eat after a workout in order to help your muscles continue to build after working out. Make sure you eat proteins and carbs after a workout.
    Eating enough is essential in losing weight.
    hope that makes sense
    :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Alright, as you can tell by my post numbers, I'm a newbie, and being one I may be posting this in the completely wrong section but here it is.

After entering a cardio session, for me walking 30 minutes uphill @ 4.0 burning 260. Once you go back to the food menu, it says "You've earned 260 extra calories from exercise today." To me this is completely backwards, you workout in order to create a DEFICIT amount of calories. The previous statement either makes it sound like you somehow ate 260 calories, or that you are allowed to eat 260 more calories which is totally defeating the purpose of working out and burning those calories if you are just going to replace them. We workout to create that deficit of calories and keep them, not to have it sound like "Congratulations you burned 260 calories, now go eat more and defeat the purpose!"

Sorry again if this is the wrong spot for this, but I just think it needs to be changed. Anyone else agree or may I potentially be reading this wrong :bigsmile:

It seems counterintuitive to the goal of weight loss, but it really is OK to eat your exercise calories. As "astridfeline" mentioned in a post above this one, take a look at some of the informational resources available on site and it will begin to make more sense to you.

Good luck with your fitness plan!! And Welcome to MFP!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    ohhhh i gotcha!!! i thought it was the other way around in which you set it up to what you use daily and then you try to under cut that. whoops, oh well im still thinking of it that way, extra ON TOP of extra :)