Starting Metformin for PCOS

Options
Hi guys. I have had PCOS for years, I'm 34. I've gained a significant amount of weight in the past couple of years. I had my A1C levels tested and they were 5.9 so my doctor out me on 500mg of Metformin. I just started taking it. There are no stomach aches because it's the extended release type. So far I feel a decreased urge to eat sweets and an easier time resisting overeating. What are your experiences on this drug? thanks in advance for the responses :-)

Replies

• ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hated metformin. I was constantly in the bathroom. Ugh but I was on 2000mg daily, made me extremely sick. Stopped taking it a few years ago and am doing better without it.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I have had PCOS for 10 years now, but have never been put on any medicines for it, except birth control. I wasn't having a period at all before then. I have heard good things about metformin for diabetics. I know when my mom took it, she would get dizzy and feel weak a lot. Good Luck!
  • Xenastrah
    Xenastrah Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi there,

I also take metformin for pcos, i was diagnosed in 2009. I take 1500mg per day, but not the slow release ones. So far my weight has fluctuated up and down on it, depending on what i am eating. I am pretty much just starting out on a new lifestyle change, and eating a Low GI diet while taking metformin. I have had all the crappy side effects from metformin, but i find the healthier you eat, the less side effects you get from it.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :smile:
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for a month or so for PCOS. I'm 30. I started off on 500mg per day for a week and then 500mg twice a day. (not extended release). When i was taking just 500mg once a day, i felt fine but when the dose was upped I had the most terrible nausea, anxiety and malaise. Awful. So bad that i've actually made the decision myself to reduce back down to 500mg once a day until i can see the doctor again. I know self-medicating is a bit naughty but i literally couldn't cope any longer with the side effects and I feel fine on this dose. I assume when i see the doc she will put me on extended release which may be better. One thing i have noticed since taking Met is that my appetite has gone through the floor!! This is not great for me as somedays i really struggle to eat much at all and barely net 800 cals!

Add me, by all means!

Jx
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I tried it several times and had to quit. I did ok with the tummy issues however I got severely b12 deficient and had horrible muscle aaches over all 3 trials. Even b12 shots didnt help.
  • michelleesther
    michelleesther Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Thanks for your replies so far. I will make sure to get my B12 levels tested on my next doctor's visit. I purchased some B12 supplements and I plan on taking them if my levels are low. I resisted medication for many years. Never took any medication for PCOS in my 20's or even in my early thirties. But, this weight gain is out of control and I am desperate to get my insulin levels under control. I don't want to stay on Metformin forever, but I do want to get back to a healthy and fit weight!
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin 500mg for Type II diabetes since 2007. I take one pill before bed and I have never had any side effects.

Metformin has never been any kind of appetite suppressant for me. I wish it was, especially for the sweets.

Good luck to you.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I certainly don't have PCOS and I don't know how to delete my previous post.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    oops sorry dug up old post by accident.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS I wanted to go on Metformin for the longest time but I never got around to asking my GP about it. But it seemed like working out and eating right really helped with some of my issues. Just wanted to wish you luck with your health and weight and hope that you can, at some point, come off of the drug as well once you're healthy enough again! :)
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Metformin paralyzed me and was horrible. I was ordered to stop immediately.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andrbeck
    andrbeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was / am on metformin but I've never noticed it helping or hurting me. I tried to take it regularly. I will be getting back into the swing of it soon.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I was put on metaphormin when I was having difficulty conceiving. At first it made me really sick but after a month or so my body got used to it and it was fine as long as I made sure to take it with food. I also noticed a pretty significant decrease in appetite which was a bonus.
  • lfair0612
    lfair0612 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been relatively large my whole life and my periods were never normal but I always took Provera every two months to start my cycle. About 18 months ago, my husband and I started to concieve and we haven't had any such luck. About 2 years ago I had an ultra sound done to determine whether or not I have PCOS and it was determined that I did not have it. Just last week I went to get a second opinion bc my normal OB/Gyn doctor wasn't able to help anymore. The first thing they did was request an Ultrasound to rule out PCOS. To my suprise the ultrasound did not show that I have PCOS but it did show that I have unicornuate uterus which basically means I only have 1/2 a uterus. I am going in the week for a HSG to determine exactly how bad it is. Although I don't have PCOS my doctor is treating as though I do and started me on Metformin. I am currently taking 500mg a day (extended release) to adventually work up to 1500mg. No issues yet and but have only taken it 3 days but already I am not nearly as hungry! Good luck to everyone! I hope this does me good and will help my husband and I concieve soon!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love it, i started taking normal one a few years back for insulin resistance, but started getting 'gassy' and kept forgetting to take it three times a day, im now on the slow release and find it alot better (although my dosage has been reduced to 500mg instead of 1500mg).

I find myself on the toilet if i have an indian takeaway curry or something of the similar oil levels.

Its stopped my ups and downs, so i dont faint or black out cause my blood sugar was horrible to go with it.
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated metformin and refused to take it. It made me dizzy, and I was annoyed because there was no evidence that I was insulin-resistant other than the diagnosis of PCOS based on amenorrhea and hair growth! My blood glucose was normal and my doctor still prescribed it. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it!
  • annak999
    Options
    I am 39 years and was diagnosed with PCOS at age 21. I have every side effect from having this from issues with periods, facial hair, insulin resistance and weight. For the last four months I have been excerising and eating onlt 1200 calories per day and I have not lost an ounce. i went to the doctor today and have just been prescribed the metformin and have high hopes that this will assist in some way!
  • Barb7135
    Options
    I sure hope it helps you. I have pcos and endometriosis. I used metformin once and lost 10lbs on a month. Good luck to you.I'm going to get back on it again.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had terrible bowel issues on the non-extended release for over a year. Switched to extended release and now rarely have problems. I've lost weight but I dont attribute that to the Metformin. It helps but its definitely not a magic pill. What it did do was regulate my cycles. I've actually reached a point where I wonder if I even need it anymore.

Good luck.

ETA
    It did sort of act as an aversion therapy for awhile. I'd judge whether or not I wanted to eat something based on my proximity to the bathroom and the social situation I was in. In that regard I'm sure it helped! No cakes at birthday parties for this girl (but that was on the regular, non-extended release dosage) I'm at 1500mg.