Live healthier, not just losing weight

Options
ashb1216
ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
So, lately I have been doing a lot of research about "diets" etc etc etc. Or just different ways to lose weight. The more I research, the more I get informed. It is not about just losing weight, it is about living a more healthier lifestyle. Diets don't work, you have to change your lifestyle, and form a new way of living. So, I watched this one documentary about this guy who was tired of taking a lot of medications and being over-weight, and he realized that he could heal his body from the inside out but taking in the appropriate nutrient ( and this guy did a juicing challenge and ended up losing a lot of weight and getting off half of his medications). So, these are the rules I have learned, and have always been interested in, but was too lazy at first, but now really making that lifestyle change !!!

1. Slowly eliminate processed foods ( They provide hardly any nutritional value and are a bunch of empty calories)
- Don't just cut yourself off from these foods that we ohhh sooo enjoy so much, lol. But, if you are used to eating chips 3x a week, try breaking it down to twice a week, then once a week until you can resist the craving for chips. (And there is NO healthy chip, lol)

2. Take in more micro-nutrients (These are your vegetables and fruit)
- By eating more micro-nutrients, you body does not have to fight through the toxins that you would be digesting if you were eating something like chips. This way, by eating micro-nutrients, like say an orange, your body is getting the nutrients that it needs from that fruit without fighting off toxins that come into your body by eating processed foods.
- Also, think of your body as like a vegetable plant, in order for the plant to grow and produce the food, it needs the proper nutrients. It needs water and sun-light. Well, what would happen if you didn't give it what it needed, like water? It would eventually die. It needs the proper "nutrients" to survive and grow healthy.

3. EXERCISE !!!!
- You can proper all day long, but if you don't exercise, then it is almost pointless. Exercise does SO much for your body and mind. Also, a lot of people are "stressed-out" these days, which can lead to overeating or depression. So..... exercise can be a natural distressing tool. Plus, it gets your blood flowing, it helps your organs, and it is just overall AWESOME for the mind/body and soul.

4. WATER !!!!
- ok, this water thing to me is simple, lol but water is just SOO plain, but it is all about the mind-frame. When I drink water, I visualize about how much it is helping my body. We are mostly made up of water, so if our body is deprived of water, then it can not function correctly. Plus, water helps flush out the toxins that we are putting into our body on a daily basis !!! Water is the key !!!

5. Doing activities you enjoy !!!!!!!
- Whether it be painting, bowling, fishing, hiking, reading a good book... etc. You are a very IMPORTANT PERSON !! The most important person in your life. You are the one at the end of the day that has complete control of you life. Yeah, there are outside influences, but at the end of the day, when you close your eyes at night, its just you. Love yourself. Give yourself high-fives and be excited that you woke up another day and have the chance to experience this BEAUTIFUL journey we call life. You have to take time out for yourself. You have to do "soul" work (which is what my mother calls it, lol). It is SOOO important to take time out of the day (at least 30 mins.) to do something you truly enjoy. It helps build your self-esteem/confidence and sense of self. This is you life !!! Don't waste it.

So, this is just my take on everything, and how I am going to start living my life. I am a firm believer that how we are living today, is just so messed up. We are more focused on the easiest way out, instant gratification, etc etc etc. We would rather go through the drive through at the golden arches rather than go home and cut up some fresh veggies and make a good nutritional dinner. Just think of all the toxins that we are taking into our bodies. Since the production of highly processed foods, easy access of these foods, etc. our disease rate has increased. Really??? It is so ridiculous in my mind. Within the past 50-60 years, the statistics for diseases ( heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure... etc etc etc etc) has all increase due to the foods that we are taking in, and that's because they are LOW in nutritional value and are very TOXIC !!!

ok... so, you can agree with what I have written or not, but this is my take on things, and how it makes sense to me, and I just thought I would share !!!!

I would also like to know everyone else's take on America's obesity/disease rate... etc ... I am interested to know ... and please be friendly guys !!!

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I love your post. Diets DONT WORK. In fact, you will probably gain the weight back if you do a 'diet." I tell all my team members that it's a lifestyle change. Diets will only give you short term happiness and then they make you miserable.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love this! This would have been great as a blog post.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post that mirrors my own attitude toward "dieting". To me "being on a diet" is a negative. Living a healthy lifestyle is a positive. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    Completely agree with you.

I have a lot of weight to lose,and have struggled with my weight almost all my life--through binge eating disorder and times of near starvation. But for the first time ever I'm actually starting to like my body because I'm doing things to make sure that it works properly, and doesn't just *function*. We got gym memberships in February so I've been working out 6 days a week. I've gone from being barely able to do five minutes on the elliptical at the lowest resistance level to doing intense elliptical, hill programs on the stationary bike, and I have even just started the couch to 5K running program. Oh, and I swim at least an hour 6 days a week which is not only great for my body, but for my mind too--it's like moving meditation for me.

I haven't lost a single pound in that time. Not one. But I feel so much better it's unbelievable and I'm now starting to notice places where my body is changing shape. For me, it really is becoming so much more about treating my body well and having it work well than losing weight. I hope this attitude continues for me.
  • teepea2point0
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with this post!! I have been guilty in the past of trying any new weight loss get skinny quick diet. After gaining back the few pounds that I was able to lose while on them I definitely had to do some soul searching. Did a complete overhaul of the way I was eating starting with white starches. Best decision I ever made. I'm not at my goal weight but I'm no where near where I used to be. I haven't looked back since!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :happy:

Tee
  • danapouncey
    danapouncey Posts: 31
    Options
    Love this post!

That's exactly what I'm doing lately. I'm making healthier choices and love the feeling that I'm going to be healthier, and ultimately nice and slim again!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Agree!!

I am glad that my mother instilled healthy eating in my life! We rarely went out to dinner and even rarer to fast food. When I got home from school my snack was an apple or some veggies. I have mostly eaten like that my whole life. I have gone through periods where I eat worse because life gets hectic but I really get in a terrible cycle of not feeling well when I do this and my migraines get so much worse!! I still do eat out, eat fast food once in a while or eat chips ( baked, because they are less salty). I do believe in moderation and try to practice that everyday.

Good luck to you in your new healthy way of living! Your right, at the end of the day it really is all about what YOU want for your life!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • smcase
    smcase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's great, I agree those are the core fundamentals of healthy living. Thank you for taking the time to share them in writing.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my philosophy. You've described my "diet" (I hate that word!) perfectly. And yes, it's a lifestyle change.

Processed foods are killing you, literally. Our bodies did not evolve to handle the salty, sugary, processed crap that makes up 95% of the typical American's diet.

That's why it's not just about calories per se... I'm convinced more people would lose weight if they'd just eat the right foods. They start to "diet" and eat crap. Less crap, but crap...
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    You're totally right. It has to be though of as a lifestyle change. And that's why I've chosen to follow a clean eating plan... It's easy to incorporate with my family (husband doesn't think it's all diet food and what's better for my almost one year old to be eating, right?) And move more. And drink all the water you can. And treat yourself once in a while. It's all in moderation. I LOVE food. I love to eat, I live to cook, I love to peruse farmers markets and fancy gourmet stores and shops... Sigh. But eating cleaner still let's me do all this and enjoy it!

Great post!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump

Words to live by....love it.:love:
    I agree with you.:flowerforyou:
    I am doing a total life style change for the better.
    The old ways I am letting die.
    Giving way for the new me to live.:smile:
  • lulu386
    lulu386 Posts: 20
    Options
    CO-SIGN! Very very true. Well written post
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    You're totally right. It has to be though of as a lifestyle change. And that's why I've chosen to follow a clean eating plan... It's easy to incorporate with my family (husband doesn't think it's all diet food and what's better for my almost one year old to be eating, right?) And move more. And drink all the water you can. And treat yourself once in a while. It's all in moderation. I LOVE food. I love to eat, I live to cook, I love to peruse farmers markets and fancy gourmet stores and shops... Sigh. But eating cleaner still let's me do all this and enjoy it!

Great post!!

Sorry, but if you love to cook and you buy from farmer's markets, you are gold. You have no problems.... Eat away. It's when someone adds the chips, the soda, the sugar, etc., that it all goes to hell very fast.

If Americans would just *cook* again, eat food grown nearby, use a knife and fork (!!!).... Things would improve dramatically.

If you're eating something that does not require a knife and fork, you're doing it wrong.
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Thanks for directing me back to the path!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love this.... thank you!
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies !!! :) Hopefully it has everyone has much as it did me. I can't say that I have it down completely yet, but I am slowly working on it. And, I believe that is what it is about, is a slow process not instant. I believe that if we change our lifestyles, then it would benefit us, not just by losing weight, but by being an overall healthier person ( and I find that more important than being "thin" or just losing weight. I want to be healthy !!!

I don't want to be a statistic, and that is my motivation !!! Good luck guys, and feel free to friend me !!! :) We all could use inspiration from each other, motivation and just overall support !!!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And all so very true! I've lost 12 pounds in 3 months. This is 1 pound a week. I've never lost weight this slowly before. Usually I do that "starve myself until it flies off, and don't exercise because I have no energy."

I'm doing it differently this time. I'm exercising 6 days a week, lifting heavy, and eating a lot healthier than I ever have. Instead of starving myself, I'm eating more, and it's still coming off. But I'm eating better.

I decided to look at my body as a machine. It needs proper fuel (nutritious foods), and it needs to be worked properly (exercise) in order to keep running efficiently.

I hope to lose about 12 more pounds - but what my real goals are, what I'm focusing on are these things:

Being healthy
    Building endurance so that I can do the things I love for longer periods of time
    Building muscle
    Eliminating depression and anxiety
    Loving every curve and dip of my body

It's really not about losing a ton of weight - If one changes one's mindset to a health life, then the weight will come off. Slowly but surely. And then it will STAY off.