Your advice needed...

Options
Can anyone share their tips for avoiding their trigger foods? Mine is chocolate and lately I've been binging on it. I can't go cold turkey because I feel like I'm depriving myself, eat it anyway, then feel horrible about it. I want to be able to enjoy it occasionally, though, not constantly.

What has worked for you when you want to avoid your biggest temptation?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Evicting it from the house, or at least making sure it can't be seen or found easily.
  • caroncarlson
    caroncarlson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge chocoholic myself, but I know that chocolate is not bad for you. It actually has antioxidants and other good nutrients. What is bad is the sugar and oil in most chocolates. Why don't you go to specialty grocer like fresh market or something like that and pick up some 70 or 80% bars. Read the label and portion off what you should eat with baggies. This stuff is sooo chocolaty that you won't need much! Another good trick is a rubber and around the wrist. When you have a craving, snap the band, and it kind of brings you back to reality. But personally I think completely denying yourself is not the way to go. Then, when you do give in, look out! JMHU.......
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Evicting it from the house, or at least making sure it can't be seen or found easily.
    x2
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey into healthy living last September, I went into it knowing what my triggers are.....I wanted to set myself up for success so I made room in my calories to make sure that I wasn't depriving myself.

57lbs later I can say that strategy worked for me. If I wanted a little bit of chocolate I had one of those 100 cal bars. If I craved salty, I would count out pretzels and snack on those (my trigger time is after my daughter goes to bed and I have quiet time). I just made sure that my serving was a proper serving size, and that I counted it.

I have found that since I have increased my calories and eat a much more balanced diet, the cravings have (shock!) pretty much gone away!

I know many people may not agree with how I did it, but it worked for me and when I started out I was more interested in a lifestyle change, not taking everything I enjoy out of my diet :)

Good luck!
  • caroncarlson
    Options
    I am with you all the way!!!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Frankly, you MAY have to deprive yourself for a bit, at least initially. There are certain foods that I just can't have in the house, even though some of them are healthy. Nuts are one example. I love them. But, I can't just eat one serving...I start grazing on them. So I just don't have them around.

I love chocolate too, and I have had some success with some individually wrapped dark chocolate squares. But that was after I'd been tracking calories for quite awhile. For me, eating well and tracking calories at the beginning allowed me to reset my attitudes about eating and switch out my usual foods to healthier, for the most part, alternatives. So now, after over a year, I can dabble in my previous "trigger" foods without serious consequences. Unless it's ice cream. Then never mind. :laugh:
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you can, enjoy smaller portions of them and keep that within your goal for the day.

If you can't, then pick one day a week to reward yourself. Constant deprivation isn't good for anyone and only makes it that much worse.

What I do when I have constant cravings is: Drink more water or drink flavored water with zero or few calories, chew gum or go for a short walk. I've found these things detract from my craving and point me in a different direction.
  • caroncarlson
    Options
    I am with you all the way!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I found those 100 calories snack packs to be reaaly helpful. Yes...I know, additives, sodium, yadda yadda . But when you need to nibbble something you can lose control of, a measured amount can help you. You have to CONSCIOUSLY decide to open another one, which gives you time to get a grip. The moment I tell myself I can never have something, it becomes exactly what I want. If I control the amount and timing of what I crave, I can stay within limits.