NEW CHALLENGE - Summertime Success!

Options
MelL1205
MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
Quick and simple:

I'm starting a new challenge. As soon as I have enough members, I will make a group and will invite you to participate. In our group, we will have different conversation threads going to build up some familiarity with each other.

I'm only looking for 15-20 people. The people chosen may not necessarily be the first 15-20 people to respond.
Respond on this thread with (1) your starting weight (what you are now), (2) your goal weight, (3) a personal strength that can help all of us in the group, (4) why you think joining this group will be beneficial for you.

I'm not just looking for people who say "Yeah, I'm committed" and then back out 4 weeks down the line. Before you are invited to join, you have to respond with those 4 topics mentioned above so that I can decide if you will be a good match for the friends I have already invited.

This challenge is going to run approximately 8 weeks. I will maintain a Google spreadsheet to track our progress.

Each week, I will post a personal challenge for the group. And each week, the member with the highest percent of weight lost for that week will post a fitness challenge for the whole group.

So, are you with me?

Replies

• svelte2012
    svelte2012 Posts: 18
    Options
    Good morning! i would appreciate being considered for your group. As requested:
    1. I believe about 137-139 - i haven't weighed for a few weeks
    2. 125 - (115 would be best for my bone structure but because of my age I'm willing to admit its probably not achievable)
    3. I am 55 years old - lots of experience with this problem. Always optomistic.
    4. I am facing surgery in the fall and would like to be in the best shape i can be. On the vanity side i realize every spring that my determination on January 01 to fit nicely into my summer t-shirts without the big belly has failed again. I'd like somewhere to be accountable - you sound like the person who could make me do that.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!

Starting weight!!! 189

Goal Weight !! 175

My strength is motivating others to reach their goals.

I want to get in the best shape of my life!!!

• kimiwiggins
    kimiwiggins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a part of this challenge! I definitely need motivation and accountability. I am a binge eater and really struggle in the evenings with the snacking. I am also 47 and on top of trying to lose 35 pounds, I am fighting the belly fat all of a sudden. Here is my info:

1) Starting weight is 200
    2) Goals weight for my height and weight will be good at 165
    3) I am very good at motivating others.
    4) I need some motivation and side-line cheering. Was diagnosed with high cholesterol 3 months ago and desperately want to throw these pills out!

Thinking thin thoughts,
    Kimi
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Well, I've invited the 3 of you. Looking for some more people. Perhaps my message intimidated a few. Don't be afraid - I'm just looking for people who are committed and not people who are going to only stick with us a few weeks.

:flowerforyou:
  • KViens71
    KViens71 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    (1) your starting weight 204 (very upsetting weight for me....I am down 8lbs since mid April or so.)
    (2) your goal weight 155 (I know it's achievable, I just NEED to take it slow and steady with healthy changes and choices!
    (3) I love to motivate others!! I use to be on a forum many moons ago and I loved it. (This is my first time on a forum here!)
    (4) I need to motivate others, and need to be encouraged and cheered on once in a while!! I need someplace to go to when I'm struggling with making the right choices or need a kick in the rear to get myself to the gym!!

Hope to be able to join!!! :)
  • ingot81
    ingot81 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    (1) starting weight - 172
    (2) goal weight 147
    (3) I have the exercise side of things sorted. I am a Zumba instructor, I ran my first half marathon this month and I'm doing the Tough Guy challenge
    (4) my weight has stayed the same since January and I need help with my food. I've lost 74 lbs and I am struggling with my final 27.
  • NeptuneGirl
    Options
    Hi I would love to join the challenge! I`m new, just started my journey today at 76.5 kgs (168.3 lbs) and think this would be a great way to start...
    So answering the questions:
    1) SW: 168.3 lbs
    2) 55 kgs (121 lbs)
    3) I`m really optimistic, like motivating others, and love researching and talking about health stuff.
    4) I´m moving to Europe in a couple of weeks (now I live in Argentina) and would love to be a couple lbs lighter and a bit healthier before getting there. The fact that I have hipothiroidism and resistance to insulin makes it a bit more difficult but I´m sure I can make it!
    Hope to be your partner!!
  • turquoise_elephant
    turquoise_elephant Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join please!

(1) Start weight- 152lbs
    (2) Goal weight- 120lbs
    (3) My personal strength to bring to the group is my knowledge on nutrition and fitness. I have a degree in nutrition and have done lots of research on fitness to lose weight (ironic, I know!). So I'd be happy to answer any questions and give out info.
    (4) I really just need some motivation and a support group. I think it would help me think about my choices more if I know I have to come and tell a group of people what I've been eating and how much I've been exercising etc.
  • emma9797
    emma9797 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi!
    (1) starting weight 130lbs
    (2) goal weight 110 lbs
    (3)My personal strength....well i will be frank. I'm young and know much about hardships of the life. But one thing i can tell you for sure. Life is extremely short, and people should enjoy every minute out of it, because there are some who can't. I learned this the hard way and have been through pain and hell and hard times. Some say that they would reverse time if they could. But i wouldn't. Cause all those hardships made me a new person. Thanks to that i became confident, committed and optimistic. I've done a lot of research on Eating disorders and know a lot about them. I've done sports all my life and love them. And, i'm keen on medicine because i wanna be a nutritionist and my whole family is made up of medics. But, i can be your simple buddy too who listens to you and tries to help you.
    (4) I believe that joining this group could help me a lot! I suffer from an ED and can not tell anyone. But this also made me strong and firm and optimistic. I just lack confidence and support and so on. And a group activity would also mean a lot tome psychically cause sometimes i'm very fragile and all i need is a good buddy who wants to achieve a goal, who wants to slim down, become healthy, lead a healthy life, become fit, and the most important of all, become happy.

I'd be really happy if i could join this group! :smile:
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    (1) starting weight - 172
    (2) goal weight 147
    (3) I have the exercise side of things sorted. I am a Zumba instructor, I ran my first half marathon this month and I'm doing the Tough Guy challenge
    (4) my weight has stayed the same since January and I need help with my food. I've lost 74 lbs and I am struggling with my final 27.

I support you bringing ingot81 into your group, she has been the Captain of a current challenge team and a great motivator.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Count me in please!

SW: 233.4
    Summer GW: 220 by sept 3- that's 50lbs total loss, by my first wedding anniversary. I didn't start then, thatll be my 8 months though. I haven't set an overall GW, I set MFP for when I'm at an even 200 but I'll be changing it after I hit that. Probably another 50lbs or so.
    What I can bring to the group: I'm positive and upbeat, and I've done a lot of research on things to make sure that I'm doing things right for me.

And I've forgotten the last question. But I'm awesome, so you should add me in the group. :)
  • Heevenlee
    Heevenlee Posts: 35
    Options
    Starting weight 147

Goal weight 120

My personal strength is no mater what you do give it your all and do what you can and bring it.Strength that comes within I hjave cp and do how and what I can.Love helping people and finding ways to doing things differently but never give up and Bringing it

My weight has been up sincie I have had some health problems and looking for support and help to get me achive my goals.Want quite and want support thru all my up and downs
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Keep 'em coming!
  • MelL1205
    Options
    7 more spots!
  • hydeejo
    hydeejo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Start weight 223

Goal Weight 150

My personal strength is motivating others and coming up with new ideas or goals to help with weight loss. I always seem to do better if I have something new to work on with my diet.

This group sounds like it would be awesome and would really help me get to my goal. I'm new to this site and still learning how it all works. I do so much better when I know friends who are in my same situation are doing good with their eating and exercise.
  • MelL1205
    Options
    6 more!
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I thought I would chime in. I am lucky to have know Mel for months now and I am in the group. My name is Judy and I have turned into a workout freak in the past year!!! I have lost over 20# but have been good at maintaining lately. I NEED this group to get busy and start losing again!!! 7 Years ago I was 215!!!

1 ~ 175
    2 ~ 165
    3 ~ I am very positive and loving taking time here to learn and motivate others. I love MFP and all the friends I have made here!
    4 ~ I need the accountability :wink:

I am looking forward to this challenge and making new friends! We can do this!!!! Thanks Mel!!!!
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    SW 225
    GW 180

I am looking for a new challenge. I have done the 30 day shred and i am now doing couch 2 5k. I am loving taking care of me and love to motivate others. I want to be a yummy mummy for my girls
  • lrapp28
    lrapp28 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SW 294
    GW 225

Hi I've been doing this for two months now when I started I was 311lbs. It would be great to have others to work along with on this journey to better health. Last week I started the Insanity workout 60 day program. This group sounds like a great addition to keep me on plan.

20080222.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • apantoja077
    Options
    (1) your starting weight (what you are now)237
    (2) your goal weight 180
    (3) a personal strength that can help all of us in the group-Great at motivation for others, just not myself
    (4) why you think joining this group will be beneficial for you. - My support team is just me, I really need someone to challenge me and keep me on track. Doing it by myself has been good, I have lost 70lbs, but I seem to be falling from my goal