Question About H.I.I.T?

Options
Supposedly it's recommended to only do a H.I.I.T workout every other day to allow your body time for rest, is that true? If so, should I only be doing 30 DS every other day? :huh:

Replies

• picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    30 DS is not HIIT. So no, you could do it every day. It is a cardio workout, not weight lifting, certainly not strength training, and definitely not HIIT.
  • Jump1979man
    Jump1979man Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thats false.
  • Jump1979man
    Options
    I do H.I.I.T. 2x a week, strengthen training 5 days a week.

Yes it's true, your body needs to recover to adapt to the stress. Recovery is just as important as the stress(stimuli)

There is nothing to recover from doing HIIT.........the whole point is to keep your heart pumping at a high level which burns more calories.

Your heart does not need to "recover".

Your body may be sore from the run but as soon as you stretch and start the next days HIIT run you will be fine and after about 2-3 days of it your body will have adapted and you wont be sore anymore.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Yes it's true, your body needs to recover to adapt to the stress. Recovery is just as important as the stress(stimuli)

There is nothing to recover from doing HIIT.........the whole point is to keep your heart pumping at a high level which burns more calories.

Your body may be sore from the run but as soon as you stretch and start the next days HIIT run you will be fine and after about 2-3 days of it your body will have adapted and you wont be sore anymore.

This is so incredibly false. As an endurance runner and someone who does both strength training and long distance running I use HIIT to get my speed up through plyo etc, HIIT is hard on the CNS and does require proper rest days afterwards if you are training multiple times per week.
  • EbbySoo
    Options
    As stated, 30DS is not HIT/HIIT or very intense metabolic training, so you can do it 5 days per week without worry as long as you are eating properly. :)
  • Jump1979man
    Options

This is so incredibly false. As an endurance runner and someone who does both strength training and long distance running I use HIIT to get my speed up through plyo etc, HIIT is hard on the CNS and does require proper rest days afterwards if you are training multiple times per week.

Excuse me.....things can be lost in translation.....

The OP asked if you had to do hitt every other day and NO YOU DO NOT!

If you thought my point was that you can do HIIT 30 days straight or unlimited without any days off then Im sorry for the confusion.

I do HIIT 3 on , 1 off, 1 on, 2 off then start over the next week. So 4 days a week Im doing HIIT and 3 of those days are IN A ROW.

So to answer the OP, No you do not have to do it every other day.
  • EbbySoo
    Options

Excuse me.....things can be lost in translation.....

The OP asked if you had to do hitt every other day and NO YOU DO NOT!

If you thought my point was that you can do HIIT 30 days straight or unlimited without any days off then Im sorry for the confusion.

I do HIIT 3 on , 1 off, 1 on, 2 off then start over the next week. So 4 days a week Im doing HIIT and 3 of those days are IN A ROW.

So to answer the OP, No you do not have to do it every other day.

Thanks for the clarification on your stance. In regards to doing HIIT 3 days in a row, it really depends on the persons intensity in which they are performing it. I personally train at an advanced level, but she was specifically asking about Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, which is none of the above and is only 20 minutes long, so she'll be fine. :D
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    While 30DS may not be HIIT, I would to some degree disagree with doing it 5-6 days a week. Personally, I cannot do ANY single routine repetitively, day after day. My body, especially my joints, scream at me… and I don't mean in the "no pain no gain" way. Perhaps this isn't an issue for all, but I think it may be an issue for more people than think so. Repetitive (day after day) routines can lead to repetitive type injuries (shin splints, among others, depending on what your body may be susceptible to).

I DO exercise 5-6 days a week, but when I am doing predominantly a single routine, such as 30DS, I only do it 3-4 days a week and mix in other types of routines, such as Turbo Jam, elliptical, whatever.

I just want to mention this for those who are doing repetitive routines and thinking they may have to "work through the pain" not realizing they might possibly be doing damage. Yeah… working out hard hurts, but you probably know your body well enough to distinguish the "good pain" from the "bad pain".
  • BlowYourMind
    BlowYourMind Posts: 162
    Options
    While 30DS may not be HIIT, I would to some degree disagree with doing it 5-6 days a week. Personally, I cannot do ANY single routine repetitively, day after day. My body, especially my joints, scream at me… and I don't mean in the "no pain no gain" way. Perhaps this isn't an issue for all, but I think it may be an issue for more people than think so. Repetitive (day after day) routines can lead to repetitive type injuries (shin splints, among others, depending on what your body may be susceptible to).

I DO exercise 5-6 days a week, but when I am doing predominantly a single routine, such as 30DS, I only do it 3-4 days a week and mix in other types of routines, such as Turbo Jam, elliptical, whatever.

I just want to mention this for those who are doing repetitive routines and thinking they may have to "work through the pain" not realizing they might possibly be doing damage. Yeah… working out hard hurts, but you probably know your body well enough to distinguish the "good pain" from the "bad pain".

As Ebby pointed out, it depends on the person's recovery ability. If you're in a great shape 30DS might be easy for you and you can do it often, if you're not... maybe doing it 3x a week would be best for you. It depends on the person.
    I agree with both points, personally I think I'm fit enough to do 30DS 3-4 days a week but I also love full-on cardio so I'll do Turbo Jam other days instead. Thank you for the clarification about H.I.I.T and 30 DS, I always seemed to think it was that type of exercise.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I see you redacted your post, so I will rescind my "you're doing it wrong" comment :P