I'm going to run a Marathon!?!.

Options
My friends husband has put together a team of family and friends to run in a marathon in October of 2010. We will be running on a team in honor of my friends father who has a brain tumor.

I have stepped up to this challenge because, 1. I'm freshly 30 and have always wanted to run a marathon, so I'm taking the challenge. 2. I love, honor and respect my friends father and if I can help raise awarreness or simply make him chuckle as he watches this clumsy pollak make an attempt, then thats good enough for me. 3. I have a very hard time admitting that I can't do something, because I know I CAN, so I tend to compete with myself alot lately.

My question is.....If I have never run on a regular basis how do I begin? What is an appropriate way to begin training for any race? Do you have any links on the subject, book recommendations, gurus, etc.?

If you are just starting to run or have run numerous marathons, I'd love your input.

O, BTW, how long in regular measurements is a marathon?????????????

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting this! It's a very noble thing you're doing.

Here's a website that can help you plan out your training. :)

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    A marathon is 26.2 miles... I suggest going to runnersworld.com and checking out all their training tips, they also have a book except of course I don't know the name of it. I just did my first marathon a little over a month ago and it is the greatest feeling ever when you finish. I ran about 6 days a week but you can do 5 and be just fine or 4, but you will have to run a lot more the closer you get to the race. You have plenty of time so I'd say for now just work on increasing your runs, 10 percent every week increase is the rule... good luck, message me if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Holly,
    I am in training now to do my first marathon in NYC in November.
    A marathon is 26.2 miles!
    I'll leave a lot of advice to our veterans but I wanted to say good luck and happy training and since your marathon is in 2010, I believe you have plenty of time for training. :flowerforyou:
  • bikegirl777
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your decision! Training for and running a marathon is life-changing!

For training advice, try the Runner's world website. They have Everything! Articles about how to get started and training schedules for any fitness level.

Running's the simplest sport there is. All you need is a pair of good shoes. If you've never done it before, just get out there and walk/run. Trot until you get tired, then walk, then jog, then walk. Having a dog or a friend to go with is even more fun and motivating.

Good luck to you!
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    Good luck to you!! I have been reading about a lot of people doing marathons... that's something that I would like to do, eventually. I would think that it's so much easier if you had someone else running it with you, which I don't...that might be why I haven't really thought about it... :huh:
  • skips09
    skips09 Posts: 7
    Options
    First of all - congratulations!! For taking the step, you will love it :)

My main tip would be go and get a decent pair of shoes. Go to a real running shop where they will watch you running in each pair, and get fitted properly. Its the best way to avoid injury and keep yourself motivated. They can be dear, but it is more than worth it for the benefits!!

Also, record your progress - its a great motivater! Looking back at how much you've achieved in such a short time will keep you running in all weathers.

And stretch. The most important thing.

Best of luck! Message me if you have any questions. I have a great 16week beginner to half-marathon training plan which i can dig out for you if you'd like :)

Skips x
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just started training a couple months ago myself. Not really for a marathon yet, just to run. Up to 5 miles every other day. So almost a 10k. Really don't know what I'm doing yet, just doing it. When people tell you to get a good pair of socks and shoes, they aren't kidding! Good luck, and I guess I'll look into that Runner's World website too!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! Wish you the best of luck! You could try to train with a local running group. Runners World also has great message boards too. Use those to your advantage!
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm going to check out that website...

I appreciate all the supportive and kind words. I'm getting geeked just reading them!