To all you cheaters out there...

Options
How often do you go over your calories? And by how much? I have heard numerous times that a cheat day once a week where you spike your calorie intake actually helps with weight loss because it revs up your metabolism. Do you have a designated cheat day? I want to make Sunday (today) my designated cheat day to eat what I want but without going over maintenance.

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan cheats, I like to save them for special occasions (like yesterday my husband and I took a day trip) and then I try to plan very clean eating and maybe an extra workout session within the next few days to sort of balance it out. In my experience, one cheat day won't derail you - even a huge splurge isn't the end of the world in the scheme of things. Especially if you are the kind of person who mentally needs a little day off once in a while. For others, a cheat day makes it hard to get back on the wagon, so to speak. So you have to think about how you'll handle it mentally as well.

I do think that it's good not to fall into an eating rut. Whether or not it "revs up your metabolism" I can't really say.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I really try not to cheat at all. I hate losing the same lbs over and over again. If I do decide I want to go somewhere I count it in my calorie goal for the day and eat less earlier or later in the day depending what meal I want to eat out at. Thursday is Olive Garden lunch with my daughter...One bowl of soup and one bowl of salad and NO bread. May not even do the soup since it's so hot out. So then I can have two bowls of salad. Which I love so it's not a problem and don't feel like I'm depriving myself.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't 'plan' my cheats. If it's a cheat day, it doesn't count. The end.

Most of the time, I eat clean. I can't designate a cheat day because then I'll just 'move it' to a different day when I've got a craving. I save my cheating for special occasions. Like yesterday - a friend had her bachelorette. I had 2 weeks of straight clean eating and exercising almost everyday, so I enjoyed myself. Not saying I went on a massive binge, but I had a few drinks, tasted the tasty morsels that were laid on in front of me, and just had a heckuva good time. =) Don't restrict yourself on a cheat day, but don't go overboard.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I really try not to cheat at all. I hate losing the same lbs over and over again. If I do decide I want to go somewhere I count it in my calorie goal for the day and eat less earlier or later in the day depending what meal I want to eat out at. Thursday is Olive Garden lunch with my daughter...One bowl of soup and one bowl of salad and NO bread. May not even do the soup since it's so hot out. So then I can have two bowls of salad. Which I love so it's not a problem and don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

OMG Olive Garden breadsticks. I die.

My friend worked there for a time and gained about 30 pounds because she'd constantly snack on those things every time she went back to the kitchen. The secret to their deliciousness is basically an obscene amount of butter.

Also, those little mint chocolates. I die again.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think in a year, I've gone over my 500 calorie deficit once. I go over all the time but it's usually less than 100 calories. I don't do spike days and it's been working out great for me so far. I remain astounded that I am still losing at about the same rate even though I am now about 25# from my goal weight.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan a cheat day but I've gone over by 1000 at times.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat but I also dont avoid a dinner with friends or something because I don't have the calories. Or if I want chocolate. I buy a chocolate bar. I decided I didn't want to pause my life for weight loss. Also, one of the most common posts is "help I'm in a plateau, I eat 1200 calories a day except my cheat day for my sanity" a cheat day every week can easily kill your deficit and if you don't log it, you won't know
  • weightwatchers2
    Options
    I don't view having a treat as a cheat. Calling it cheating to me would be saying that I was on a diet and automatically I think oh diet I can't have..... so if I really want something than I will have it in moderation and it has been working I have 27.8 pounds gone.
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    Having a cheat which I call a binge isn't planned and I always consume too much to call it a cheat day. It usually leads into 2-3 days binge so itsnot good for me. I would like to stop binging and dedicated for example 400extra cals for a good treat
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Normally its a sunday/ special ocasion. If I eat out, than i don't eat anything but fruit for the rest of that day.
  • jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    I think being perfect all the time is unrealistic (and no fun), and rather than falling off and 'binging' which I then beat myself up from...
    it's better to plan one 'cheat' meal , or day / week.
    I have also read (4 hour body) that spiking calories one day/week helps to prevent starvation mode.
    Currently, Im really on track and motivated to finally shed the last 6 to my goal, so I'm staying the course.
    Ive found a plan that really feels good... that and I give myself latitude for some dark chocolate chips each night ;-D
    As soon as I hit my goal weight and am in maintenance mode, I will plan on one cheat meal or day/week.
    Better to plan , indulge and enjoy than feel like Im cheating!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I don't view having a treat as a cheat. Calling it cheating to me would be saying that I was on a diet and automatically I think oh diet I can't have..... so if I really want something than I will have it in moderation and it has been working I have 27.8 pounds gone.

This is my way of thinking. This is my new life. I will always eat healthier and work out. I'm not going to suddenly get to my goal weight and be able to eat whatever I want every day of the week. So I need to learn how to handle this life NOW... not when I get to maintenance.

I went to a mexican restaurant for the first time in MONTHS this weekend. I got a chimichanga because I wanted one. However, I don't eat those every single day. It's not a cheat because no food is 100% off limits to me for the rest of my life. It is just the day I decided to have a chimichanga.

And every one of those calories was AMAZING!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I actually have been trying this thing called calorie cycling and it allows for me to cheat a bit.

What I do is keep track of how much I go over or under each day and make sure to even it out every few days. So, one day I can go over 500 calories only if I make it up by being in a deficit of 250 the next two days, etc. Some days I go WAY over my calories and in that case sometimes I don't make up my calories within the next week or so.

I have hit my goal of 1 pound a week since February, so I would say it's okay to take cheat days. Somehow it works, for me. Everyone is different, however.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to designate Sunday as my cheat day and when it came to this week to allow myself to indulge i decided to indulge but with common sense. I went to brunch with friends and ordered 2 fried eggs, some potatoes, & turkey sausage. Sure I really WANTED the eggs benedict, but I KNEW that later on I would feel gross, greasy, & lethargic and not want to work out, probably only furthering my body hate. I made a smart choice but it was still a cheat since the proportions were bigger than normal & a little greasier but in the end i felt SO MUCH better. I think if you're gonna cheat you have to do it the smart way to avoid falling off the wagon completely on a cheat day (which is what I did in the past). Just my 2 cents.
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How often do you go over your calories? And by how much? I have heard numerous times that a cheat day once a week where you spike your calorie intake actually helps with weight loss because it revs up your metabolism. Do you have a designated cheat day? I want to make Sunday (today) my designated cheat day to eat what I want but without going over maintenance.

I learned about the "cheat day" when I did Bill Phillip's Body for Life program a few years ago. I never counted calories at all on that program and went from a size 12 down to a 4 in 90 days. My cheat day was Sunday because people always bring donuts to church.....andf I LOVE donuts!

When I would crave something crummy I would put it on my cheat list, then when Sunday got there I would eat whatever I wanted-as much as I wanted. It was awesome!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them but I only allow myself one day a week max.
    I aim for between my goal calories and maintenance on my cheat day. That way I don't risk losing progress from it.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A cheat day is good for the soul!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I totally cheated today because of all the holiday BBQ's (*bleeping* delicious adult beverages). I went over by like 3000 cal and I don't care one iota because I planned to cheat today. I think it's natural to cheat a little and I understand myself well enough to know if I don't give myself cheat days(usually celebrations) I'll feel like I am missing out too much and eventually every day will become a cheat day.
  • dongarvin
    dongarvin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day. But like with most things you cheat on there's a sense of guilt. I'm new to dieting and there are some foods I just REALLY miss. I think eventually I'll forgo the cheat days after I no longer crave those foods (I like the weight loss and feeling good about myself more than I do the pizza) but it's a nice reward for doing great all week. :ohwell:
  • myntric
    myntric Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't plan a frequency of cheat days and also don't allow myself a full cheat day, but a cheat meal (which I do track). This allows me to stay honest with myself and my diet (as well as eliminate any guilt) because I may go out to dinner and enjoy an appetizer and meal, but then the next week or two I'll continue to follow my strict diet and continue to see results.

I think the biggest obstacle is the water weight gain (which shows on a scale weigh) by eating out due to the significant salt intake from a lot of restaurant type meals, but even that dissipates in a day or two usually.