Vitamins for weight loss??

Options
I am currently taking 10 vitamins a day. Because they have either been recommended by a friend or I read something online that made me say " hey! I'm going to try that". I take 2 capsules(1000 mg each) of tanalin CLA twice daily, 2 capsules (150 mg each) green tea extract twice daily, 1 tablet (500 mcg) b12, and a multivitamin. Is there anyone else that take vitamin supplements to help lose weight? If so, how long did it take to notice the effects of them? I have just started taking them and I am now wondering if it was a waste of money, seeing that I was losing 2+ lbs a week prior to starting them. This is the first week I've taken them and so far, my weight has gone up 1-2 lbs :-(

Replies

• xxCOOPSxx
    xxCOOPSxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use to take CLA and to be quite honest i think it turned out to be a waste of time.

These days i eat to my target calories, exercise 3 times a week and take a multivitamin daily and i'm so far losing between 1 and 2lb's a week. Losing weight at a nice steady pace and that works for me. For me the vitamin is to help cover the fact that i am dieting i might miss certain areas and not get enough so its just to help cover for that.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I actually use a prenatal vitamin as my regular multi, it's called Professional Prenatal Formula. I also take 5-8g flax oil daily. The purpose is not really weight-loss specific, I find the vitamins don't really make a difference in that department. If I eat correctly and exercise appropriately, I lose a little weight -- if I pig out on cheesecake, well you know :) So... focus on your food for weight purposes, vitamins are more about making sure you're getting the necessary micronutrients even while dieting.
  • forthespiderqueen
    Options
    I take chromium picolinate as it is supposed to be good for balancing sugar levels and hence stop hunger. I dont think it has made any difference though. Also my blood sugar is always between 4-5 away xD.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    B12 can boost your metabolism, so it could probably aid in weight loss.
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options
    The herbs/vitamins I found most effective: Kelp, B-12, Fiber, and Pyruvate, Ginger, MSM.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Multi and Fish Oil, to fill in the gaps in my diet. I've been looking into D supplementation given all of the recent research out there. I'm of the belief that taking anything in excess will eventually do more harm than good. There are no magic pills.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't take them to lose weight but I think Fish Oil and Vitamin D helps break down fat when you have a fatty meal/diet

I take Vitamin D, Fish Oil and a Multivitamin
  • katemme
    Options
    Multi and Fish Oil, to fill in the gaps in my diet. I've been looking into D supplementation given all of the recent research out there. I'm of the belief that taking anything in excess will eventually do more harm than good. There are no magic pills.

Vitamins are different than pills. I don't believe anything really bad can happen from taking too many vitamins. In fact, I'd rather take a vitamin than pill.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-take-niacin-vitamin-b3-for-depression-and-anxiety
    http://www.foodmatters.tv/Default.aspx?CCID=4629&FID=30559&ExcludeBoolFalse=True&ID=/newslettersearchresults

There are no magic pills, but deaths from taking vitamins are extremely rare. Taking a pill legalized by the FDA is more of a risk.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Vitamins are different than pills.
    What's the difference?
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The saying goes: if it aint broken then don't fix it
  • katemme
    Options
    Vitamins occur naturally and pills are man made?

I'm not going to find ambien in a grapefruit...
  • militarydreams
    Options
    Vitamins occur naturally and pills are man made?

I'm not going to find ambien in a grapefruit...

You will find penicillin naturally though
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I take a b-complex, a multi-vitamin and CLA. Personally it seems like after I started taking the CLA I really started to see definition. The scale hasn't really gone down but my body fat % has, which leads me to believe the CLA is helping me maintain my lean muscle mass while loosing fat thus breaking even on the scale, instead of loosing both and having the scale go down.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Vitamins are different than pills. I don't believe anything really bad can happen from taking too many vitamins. In fact, I'd rather take a vitamin than pill.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-take-niacin-vitamin-b3-for-depression-and-anxiety
    http://www.foodmatters.tv/Default.aspx?CCID=4629&FID=30559&ExcludeBoolFalse=True&ID=/newslettersearchresults

There are no magic pills, but deaths from taking vitamins are extremely rare. Taking a pill legalized by the FDA is more of a risk.

deaths may be rare, but you can OD on vitamins, so yes, bad things can happen.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of vitamins, but not for weight loss -- for health --- like calcium citrate, iron, multi, omega's, b-12 etc...

You'll save a lot of money if you stop watching Dr. Oz :)
  • katemme
    Options
    Aren't most anti-biotics derived from fungus?

Deaths from anti-biotics aren't frequent either. Just nasty yeast infections. Blegh.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    fish oil, CLA, b12, and a multi are your best bets. fish oil and CLA are omega 3's. CLA has also been shown to help prevent cancer. definitely a plus even if it doesn't do a thing for your weight. b12 will help the metabolism. and the multi can balance out anything you're not getting from diet. switch to actually DRINKING the green tea. it's far cheaper that way. i drink it every day, for energy, and it's just plain good for you :smile:
  • LiberatedJenn
    Options

I agree. I'd rather take a vitamin/herb any day than a chemically made pill.
  • militarydreams
    Options
    Aren't most anti-biotics derived from fungus?

Deaths from anti-biotics aren't frequent either. Just nasty yeast infections. Blegh.

Yep but if I had to put a name on them it would be 'drug' and drugs come in a few forms, one for your mouth (pills), one for your veins (injections), one for your... exit (suppositories). While I accept that you can argue that a vitamin isn't a drug/medicine therefore tossing up the question of the definition of a pill, I think anti-biotics definitely are.