How important is eating at regular hours?

Options
Joyounette
Joyounette Posts: 13 Member
Is it really better to have 3 important meals and 2 light snacks, or is it better to have several small meals spread throughout the day? I know that eating just one big meal a day is bad for you, but is Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner really the healthiest way to go?
And are the hours you eat at important? Is it really better to eat in the morning than late at night?

I was wondering how you prefer to spread your calories through the day.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would base this on personal preference.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Unless eating late gives you heartburn or makes it difficult to sleep, there is no "wrong" time to eat.

I like eating at regular meal times because I get cranky when I'm hungry and I don't get hungry if I have something every couple of hours, but there are very successful people who eat 90% of their daily calories within a 2-hour window late at night. It really doesn't matter.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unless eating late gives you heartburn or makes it difficult to sleep, there is no "wrong" time to eat.

I like eating at regular meal times because I get cranky when I'm hungry and I don't get hungry if I have something every couple of hours, but there are very successful people who eat 90% of their daily calories within a 2-hour window late at night. It really doesn't matter.

This x100
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at roughly the same time everyday. If I don't, I get hangry (so hungry you get angry). Dinner is the only one that varies usually just based on what time I get home with the kids and what I'm making for dinner. No matter what though, I try not to eat past 8PM. Your metabolism slows down when you are sleeping so I don't want much of anything in my stomach when I go to bed.

But I agree with Sidesteal, I think it is more of a personal preference.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i eat very light thru out the day and consume like 600-800 calories with 3 hours during the evening before bed. it all depends on what ur body wants you to do
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat 1-2 large meals and some ice cream...
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat, regardless of what time of day it is.
  • eastcoastbody
    Options
    It also depends on your goals. if you are trying to gain lean muscle the general rule of thumb is to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day. The theory behind this is to help regulate your body & metabolism. its also best not to eat 2-3 hours before bed as this is the worst time the body is efficient at breaking down energy. ive personally been trying to eat somethibg small within the first hour of waking to help wake up your bodys metabolic rate. :)
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat, regardless of what time of day it is.

+1
    Sometimes I do worry eating past midnight may not be such a good choice but I rather not go to bed hungry.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Is it really better to have 3 important meals and 2 light snacks, or is it better to have several small meals spread throughout the day? I know that eating just one big meal a day is bad for you, but is Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner really the healthiest way to go?
    And are the hours you eat at important? Is it really better to eat in the morning than late at night?

I was wondering how you prefer to spread your calories through the day.

I work nights so I have a werid sechdule. I'll eat when I have time. It's usually 2x a day, @ work and @ home before going to bed. Some days life gets in the way that I just have all my calories in 1 meal especially if it means I can get my 7-8 hrs of sleep in. Going to bed on a full stomach doesn't affect me at all. Lack of sleep does.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your goals. if you are trying to gain lean muscle the general rule of thumb is to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day. The theory behind this is to help regulate your body & metabolism. its also best not to eat 2-3 hours before bed as this is the worst time the body is efficient at breaking down energy. ive personally been trying to eat somethibg small within the first hour of waking to help wake up your bodys metabolic rate. :)

this is not true.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    It hasn't made a difference for me...I work late nights and I don't usually eat dinner until after 10, sometimes even 12.