Logging calories on "cheat days"?

Options
When you have a cheat day, do you eat whatever you want and log your calories, and make sure to stay under your calorie goal? Do you log and not care if you go over? Not log at all?

What do y'all think the best thing to do is?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I log it, even if I go over, the same as I log even if I am under my goal.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would say still log it just to make sure you aren't going to far. I know a cheat day can be beneficial, but it can also take you bac about 2-3 days in progress.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Log it......... it is shocking sometimes to see exactly how far off the mark your mental estimation is. It helps me estimate what I'm eating even when I'm on track.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    I log even if I go over. The calories still count whether I log them or not so I may as well keep an eye on what I'm eating!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would say still log it just to make sure you aren't going to far. I know a cheat day can be beneficial, but it can also take you bac about 2-3 days in progress.

this. being able to look back and see what your weaknesses are may be very beneficial in the future :wink:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    When you have a cheat day, do you eat whatever you want and log your calories, and make sure to stay under your calorie goal? Do you log and not care if you go over? Not log at all?

What do y'all think the best thing to do is?

I log it all..One day I logged 5000+ calories...it was on Cinco de Mayo...
  • ClaireSD35
    ClaireSD35 Posts: 38
    Options
    I log it all and try to remain under calories even though I know I've eaten totally the wrong foods :ohwell:
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    I like to log everything - most times I think I've gone waaaaaaay over my daily calorie goals - but then I see I haven't done that bad... maybe like 200ish over.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I say don't log it.

If you log, then it's not actually a 'cheat' day - you'll be too paranoid. Enjoy it.

Then again, I don't have a 'weekly' cheat day. I only cheat on special occasions. Like last night - it was my friend's stagette, so I ate and drank. I didn't over-do it, but I enjoyed myself.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I try not to have so called cheat days ne more as I would find if I held off on sumthing I liked for the wk then by the wkend I would OVER CONSUME so yea Now its just easier to have something I like once a day and always stay in my calories the best I can. There are days I go over but its no real biggie..
    BUT YES! BE HONEST W/URSELF I MEAN, AT LEAST FOR ME I ALWAYS LOG WHAT I EAT BAD OR GOOD OVER OR UNDER...
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't have proper 'cheat days', but sometimes I go 200 calories over my goal and still log it to see what I exactly did wrong and which aliment I shouldn't eat again. In my opinion, ignoring everything that day isn't a solution.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I log. I then usually think is that all? Then use it as motivation to kick *kitten* with exercise the following day.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I log it. I like to look at net calories on a weekly basis and compare it to loss/gains. Sometimes, even when I "cheat", I still lose. It's good information to know.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    on cheat days, I just don't bother logging.... only, because it is one of those days that I just don't care. They don't happen often, so I am cools
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Log it - stay honest with yourself. Even on my "cheat days", I try to stay under my maintenance goal, and the diary helps me to do so.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Log it, I went over 2k the other day. As painful as it was to log, it reminds me several days later to check myself.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I log it. I have a problem with over indulging to the point of binging, but I log so I can be mindful that I only eat one portion or so. I try to stay within my calorie intake. I also do some extra work outs if I know I have something special coming up or a cheat day. Usually just an extra walk or yard work. It really helps.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I log everything. I had a cheat meal yesterday when an old friend was in town and i was SHOCKED to see what i had eaten in calories.

It helped me realize how bad I was treating my body before, because those kinds of meals were a regular thing.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to still log it. I have had such a day but still logged everything. It was a bit of a shock to see it all written down. - and a "wake up call" when I read what I would weigh in the future if every day was like that. I would be heavier than I am now. :( Hey, we are all only human after all and these days are going to happen every once in a while. Life happens! There are things to be celebrated, but keeping a record of exactly what you ate/ drank is a good thing to do, as for me it helped me get back on track with my calories.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I try not to have entire cheat days, but rather cheat dinners. Sometimes the whole day is a cheat day though. Either way, I still log everything because I like to see how it effects the weekly totals.