How do you go about eating Spaghetti?

Options
mmbax06
mmbax06 Posts: 20 Member
I am frustrated because I don't have the patience to measure out everything. How do you eat your spaghetti? There are so many carbs!! Yeesh!

Replies

• Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    i substitute zucchini strips for spaghetti
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just dont, it's too damn more-ish and I dont have the willpower for small portions. Pasta sauce with lots of salad for me!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    um i open my mouth and chew, ssssllloooowwwwllllyyy and use a small plate:bigsmile:
    with me more mastication=less ingestion usally
  • melissa308
    melissa308 Posts: 12
    Options
    Spaghetti squash when it's in season. Otherwise, I measure out and make the dry portion beforehand and limit myself to that. Because I am a lazy cook, it works out pretty well.
  • kcoyle220
    kcoyle220 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    With a fork. Don't tell anyone, but occasionally I have been known to use my fingers while imagining that it's the spaghetti monster blessing me with it's noodly appendages. I don't worry about it too much, I just throw whatever I can find in the database up and let it ride. I burn about 1,000 cals exercising everyday as well, so it's not that big of a deal, especially since it isn't something I eat often. Good luck!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat angel hair pasta. I could never cut out spaghetti all together... it's too delicious.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I usually just use whole wheat pasta that's easier to measure out and fill it out with lots of veggies!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    we use spaghetti squash or whole wheat pasta. At home I always use the same plate for spaghetti that way I know about how much a serving is. Measure once and just eyeball it later on.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great alternative. About 40 cals for a cup.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use roasted spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti noodles. It's delicious, it's only around 42 calories a cup and full of fiber.

Here is a good recipe for it:

http://steamykitchen.com/11285-baked-spaghetti-squash-with-garlic-and-butter.html.

I usually preheat the oven at 400-450. Slice the spaghetti squash in half, sprinkle a little olive oil on it. Then I place it in the oven for about 40-50 minutes.

When it's done it should look a little browned. Shred it with a fork and enjoy! It's wonderful.

Some people put parmesan cheese on it at the end, but I don't.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i try to avoid it. otherwise spaghetti squash works for me, or occasionally i'll eat whole grain pasta.
  • DickNuncan
    DickNuncan Posts: 2
    Options
    Try to advoid foods such as white rice, spaghetti (pasta type foods in general) unless you are doing multiple cardio sessions per week. These foods and related contain lots of complex carbs and will spike your insulin for a longer duration than simple carbs (simple carbs = bad) . As with all carbs you should avoid consuming them after 6pm (3-4 hours before bedtime). These foods however are great for runners as they replace dimminished glucose stores which are lost rapidly during cardio (more so long distance cardio). Start your day off with carbs and try to see them as fuel. Your goal is to keep only enough fuel in the tank to get you to tomorrow.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There are some pastas like Dreamfields which have fewer digestible carbs. But IMHO, there is nothing wrong with eating a reasonable amount of any pasta from time to time. For me, about a half cup or a cup is a reasonable portion. The bigger culprit, I think, is what goes with your pasta. For example, a sauce of cream, butter and/or cheese is not as good as a marinara or tomato sauce.

If you don't like spaghetti, try one of the other shapes such as rotini, ziti, rigatoni, etc. All you have to do is pour them in a measuring cup.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With great gusto! (but just not as often as I'd like to) Carbs are not your enemy as long as you're staying within your total caloric goals.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I usually spin my fork around the plate so as many noodles as possible wrap around the fork. Then I eat it off the fork.

I'm not too worried about carbs personally.
  • Melissa_Suzanne
    Melissa_Suzanne Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Multigrain flax angel hair spaghetti and ground turkey meat :)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't..... I'm not a pasta fan.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    I had to break down and buy a damn scale.. I HATE weighing, but that was the only way. they're cheap at targetto
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    <
    as you can see I love Spaghetti. I usually eat about 100 gramm (uncooked) and eat lots of veggies and tofu with it.