Normal is Different

Options
dubster
dubster Posts: 35 Member
Once you have lost the weight, you will see how differently people treat you (even strangers) when you are closer to a normal weight. People are more attentive, respectful and better listeners. You will also find yourself critical of overweight people once you are thin. just remember you were there once yourself too. Just a observation.

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    good point there
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yes. The difference in how people treat you when you are fat compared with how you are when you are "normal" or in good shape is as stark a difference as night is to day.

Fat people suffer from the 21st century version of leprosy.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I have been at both ends of this table. Once I was slim and people would treat me better but would worry about me and constantly offering to give me food to take home with me and so on.
    Now people treat me with disrespect, are rude and the comments are hurtful. I know I need to lose 80lbs, people don´t have to tell me that or make jokes at my expense.
    I know there are people in worse shape than I´m and I see no reason to judge people before knowing them and their position.
    Every single person should be responsible for himself or herself and leave others to take care of their own buisness if they don´t ask for help or advice.
    Never judge others.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's true. I was thin or shapely/normal for years and got lots of nice comments even from strangers about how I looked. Then for 7 years or more I was overweight and during that time not only did the compliments cease, but people seemed to be more rude. I still smiled at others as I always have, but during those 7 years most people turned the other way rather than smiling back. Since I've lost 20+ pounds (before and after starting MFP), I've started getting the compliments again and people are returning smiles. It actually pisses me off a little now because I know I'm the same person now that I was during those 7 years when no one gave me a second thought. It's like now that I'm "normal" I'm accepted again. I try not to obsess over it because it isn't worth draining my energy that way, but I can't help but notice the difference. And yes, I do find myself judging others, not so much because of how they look but because I think they could be so much healthier. I have to remember that I was there once. I lost all interest in my health at one point and gave up even the desire or thought of ever losing the weight. Everyone finds their own way, and I'm just glad my interest in my own health has been revived.
  • dubster
    dubster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    great insight.....