Done with c25k.... now what?

Options
I did the C25K program. I did my 5k yesterday in 50:09. I walked a lot more than I anticipated. I ran a whole 3.2 miles 3 times leading up to yesterday and I could run the whole time, only stopping 1 or 2 times to stretch. Like I said, yesterday I walked a lot. I know the heat was a huge factor.

So now what. Should I start the program over to try and get better? I was looking into a beginner Hal Higdon program that starts with 1.5 mile runs and builds on it. IDK where to go from here but I know I'd like to keep running and get better

This is a link to the Hal Higdon program I was looking into:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

Replies

• anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would probably keep doing the last 2-3 weeks of c25k for a while until I could run the whole thing. I'd do that for a while and when that gets too easy... why not c210k?? good luck and congrats :)
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I walked a lot more in my 5k also than i thought i would after doing c25k. I have done a 3k and 3 5k runs this year. My goal is to get a little faster each time and add more distance. I want to do a 10k but am not ready for that yet. this weekend there is a free app called LOLO5K which is another c25k program, but you can personalize it a little more. You can also download some free running music with it for free this weekend also. I downloaded it yesterday and used it today and really thought the music helped keep my pace better. Give it a try!
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have a c25k app on my phone that I really like. IDK what I'm going to do. I might repeat some of the last weeks and then jump into the Hal Higdon. IDK.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I believe I have heard people who have completed the C25K talk about a similar program called the Bridge to 10K which, not shockingly, gets you to complete a 10K. I've never done either program, but I bet there are plenty of others on MFP who have. You've already done the 5K now (and, according to your OP, multiple times)... why not challenge yourself with a 10K? I know you can do it... and it's great to set a stretch goal out there that frightens you a bit (I know I've got mine)!

Whatever you decide to do, congrats on your 5K, best of luck, & happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I finished, I just kept running. I knew I could do the 5k distance, but some days were definitely harder than others - maybe you just had an off day on race day? I still run 3 days a week, usually anywhere from 2 miles to 4 miles. I pushed to 5 miles once, but my knee started to hurt, so I've backed off that distance and decided to build up slowly.

Since I had my first 5k race this weekend, I've just been working on hitting the 3 miles, and working on speed on shorter runs. I did well in the race - I hadn't run since Tuesday (race was Saturday), and the weather was cool - both great factors in me being speedier - I ran my fastest 5k time and fastest mile ever.

Now that I've done it, I've thought about looking into a 10k program, but haven't decided yet. I plan to stick to my routine of going out 3 days a week and running various distances and speeds. One day will be the faster 2 miles, another the 5k distance, and maybe the the last a slower paced longer distance, depending on how I feel.

Congrats on your first 5k!
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The first time on C25K I jogged slow, 5mph average.
    I did my 5k race before graduating from the program.
    Finished the race at 36:39 which figures out to 5.07mph
    I have restarted the C25K program from the beginning to work on speed.
    I haven't gotten very far with the restart but it does look very promising.
    I would really like to get under 30 minutes for an actual 5K race.
    When I have completed this phase I will then focus on conquering a 10K.
  • greeneyedmama81
    Options
    Eventually I would like to increase my mileage. Right now I'd like to work on establishing a better base and getting a little faster.
  • greeneyedmama81
    Options
    bump
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done this program several times and been running off and on for about 7 years. I suggest you keep working on the 5k base. It will get easier and you will get faster . You can keep doing intervals that you like (I like run 5mins, walk 1 min) or go back 3-4 weeks and repeat them working back up to running the entire distance. I found that each time I do this program I get faster and it gets easier. I tend to be cyclical in my workouts based on weather. I run a LOT in fall/winter/early spring, not so much in summer as I can't tolerate the heat. I bike or whatever instead so I have to build back up each time I start running again. Good luck!
  • greeneyedmama81
    Options
    Thank you!