Trying to find a reason to lose

I feel as if the only thing that will happen if I lose weight is that I will be in better shape to handle everyone else's problems. Any suggestions to change this train of thought.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Only you can change your attitude toward weight loss. Either you want to lose, or you don't.

Want to be healthier? Lose weight and exercise.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Dieting and losing weight is a lifestyle that will change your life. you can only make this change if you want to do it for yourself. Someone can tell you 10 times a day everyday that you need to lose weight and it is in one ear and out the other. If you want to lose weight then you won't question it. i always thought it was to hard to lose weight by mfp has made it very easy and I recommend it if you decide to start.
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Think about things that you want to do for you, and then think about how your weight affects that.

Ex: I'd like to some day have a horse and be able to go riding. I can't do that now because 1) I don't know how and 2) My muscles are NO WHERE NEAR ready to be able to handle it. I want to lose weight and tone so that I can ride a horse, go hiking, run, not feel like I have to turn the lights off and hide when "with" my DH.

The last one may sound like it's for him, but it's not. It's for me. I want to feel sexy and attractive. Flab bouncing around all over the place is not.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Being healthy is more important to me than being a certain weight. Do you have reasons you'd like to be healthy (like living a longer and happier life or avoiding future illnesses, for example)?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    I agree with everyone else, you can only decide and want to do this for yourself.
    But, I must say that the internal transformation I have made with my weight loss is unexplainable -- the self confidence, the self esteem, it's worth every second of hard work. I wouldn't trade that for anything.... I LOVE LIFE NOW!!!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Well, All I can suggest is this...

Why do you want to lose weight?

Why do you want to get healthy?

I don't know you yet, so I can't help with your attitude. Do you have a hubby/wife or kids? Want to play with them? Got a dog you want to have fun with? Want to show old high school friends how cute you are at your reunion? Want to live longer, or feel better about your self image?

Before I lost 32 pounds, I was sluggish, sleepy all the time and feeling blah. I didn't want to play with the dog or the kids, I was a couch potato. After these 32 pounds, I find myself sleeping better, no more napping all the time and I actually bought a bike to ride with the kids on a nature trail by our house. I haven't had a bike since middle school! I even started running and doing 5K races with some friends.

The hardest part in all of this is to find your reason why. Don't do it for anyone but you. Good luck and feel free to add me!

Jenn
  • 1andonlykellyd
    1andonlykellyd Posts: 33 Member
    I feel as if the only thing that will happen if I lose weight is that I will be in better shape to handle everyone else's problems. Any suggestions to change this train of thought.

First off, I don't know how old you are, but if you are reasonably young, think of it as prevention.
    If you are getting older, think if it as fixing problems that you have created for yourself.

For me, I don't want heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. I want to be able to function and enjoy like as an older adult, I see my husband who is only 8 years older than me, who can barely walk from one end of the house to the other without becoming winded.

Since I started my latest plan, I have started to become addicted to working out. The more I use my body, the more it WANTS to be used. You don't have to be skinny, but you can have a goal of feeling better and having more energy.

Just a suggestion....do with it what you will.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    If you have to ask then you are not ready to lose the weight or inches. Its like everything else in your life when the time is right it will happen
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Putting yourself 1st is very important ... Need to take care of your body and love it.. that is why I stay in great shape I love myself enough not to screw up my body..
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    About Me

I am a 47 year old wife (32 years!) mom (1 daughter, 1 son) and all around caretaker of everyone! I have been a paramedic for 17 years, three more to go and now I am ready to take care of myself.
    Why I Want To Get In Shape

I want to get into shape because I am tired of feeling tired. I have let myself go while taking care of everyone else and now it is time for ME! I can't say I will be perfect at it but I will keep trying to perfect it.
    My Inspirations

Want to be able to enjoy my retirement
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Only you can change your attitude toward weight loss. Either you want to lose, or you don't.

Want to be healthier? Lose weight and exercise.
    I think he summed it up perfectly.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    <
    My reason for losing weight

Yep, that's right, you have to do this for you...no one else is going to make it work but you, so you have to be able to realize that the #1 person affected by this is you.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    I feel like it's very important to lose weight for yourself first and foremost. Others can often disappoint, but if you are doing something for you and are succeeding at that, there is no better feeling in the world.

Honestly, I'm single and losing weight for no other reasons than health and cute clothes. Both of those things are for me and me alone. But really, if you're going to be serious to losing weight, you need to commit. Like smoker giving up cigarettes or alcoholic giving up alcohol kind of commitment. It is not easy. If it were, everyone would be skinny and there wouldn't be an obesity problem! :smile:
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    I agree with everyone else. You have to do this for yourself. Look up the risk factors for being over weight. I knew them, but I didn't do anything about my weight until I started to experience them. High blood pressure, acid reflux, chest pains, suspicious mammogram, when I realized I killing myself by living unhealthy I knew the only choice I had was to change things.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member

I'd rather be in better shape to handle everyone else's problems rather than be unable to handle my own, including my own health.

Go ahead, set a good example for everyone else.
  • Thanks for writing back, I will keep trying to remind myself that I need to do this for myself. DO IT being the key words. I will keep you posted. Have a great day.
  • Thanks so much, I am now researching me, yes me, to see what my motivations, wants, likes ect are. I have taken care of everyone in some form or fashion my whole life and I am just plain tired. Will keep you updated. Again thanks