What's the best ice cream topping??

Options
Healthy - wise I mean.
I am going out for ice cream and I def want oatmeal cookie ice cream. It's not the healthiest but if I don't get what I really want I'll feel deprived and still crave the oatmeal cookie ice cream once my own ice cream is done.
So to balance myself out - what topping should i get. I mean maybe I'll get none at all, that's the best choice but I wanted (if they have it) coconut shreds on top. That can't be too bad right?
I've heard marshmellow is the best topping cuz marshmellows are low in cals and airy?
Is marmellow better than coconut?
What are your views on ice cream and ice cream toppings?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I really love maple syrup on my icecream....
    but then I also like almost anything on and in my icrecream.... oreos, cookie dough, chocolate.... now I want ice cream!

If you want a healthy option what about fruit? Or if you want something a little sinful what about dark chocolate?
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like dark chocolate chips on mine. SOOOOO good!!!! Where do you get oatmeal cookie ice cream?

So are you getting the oatmeal cookie ice cream?
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hey! Knock it off you guyz!!! :laugh:
    I'm trying to avoid ice cream...... it's so hard!!!!
    cuz it's so dang GOOD! :sad: :noway:

I would think the best toppings are the least processed ones (best option for food in general).

So a wee bit of coconut shreds, nuts, fruit is good.

I would look up the calorie info etc. before going to figure out what works into your counts for the day. Then juggle - juggle to make room for the treat! It's all about balance...... and FUN!

Dark chocolate is an awesome idea! :tongue:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Dang- I was going to say MORE ice cream!

Healthy? Phew... peanuts wouldn't be too bad- at least they have good fat. Problem with most places is the fruit they have is practically candied.

Do they have spinach? :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hey! Knock it off you guyz!!! :laugh:
    I'm trying to avoid ice cream...... it's so hard!!!!
    cuz it's so dang GOOD! :sad: :noway:

I would think the best toppings are the least processed ones (best option for food in general).

So a wee bit of coconut shreds, nuts, fruit is good.

I would look up the calorie info etc. before going to figure out what works into your counts for the day. Then juggle - juggle to make room for the treat! It's all about balance...... and FUN!

Dark chocolate is an awesome idea! :tongue:

OH IT IS SO GOOD ON TOP OF ICE CREAM. You know the funny thing is I was never an ice cream person. My husband eats it everynight. Ofcourse now that I can't have it I want it every night. I eat the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches when I crave it.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Peanut butter (or peanuts) is excellent with ice cream!

So are fresh strawberries or blueberries.

You can also buy low fat toppings but keep in mind that they are probably full of chemicals.

You might want to try an all natural jelly or jam.

Be careful with coconut...sometimes it has ALOT of sugar on it.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    MMMMMmmmmmm:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Frozen yogurt instead of ice cream than you can spend your extra calories on lots of Chocolate:love::love: :love:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My favorite topping for ice-cream is something I can only get at home. I take a banana, chop it into small chunks, sautee it in a couple pats of butter, and then throw in some faux maple syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and mix it up good. Drizzle over vanilla ice cream.

Naughty, naughty, naughty!!
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OATMEAL COOKIE ICE CREAM SOUNDS SUPER YUMMY
    MAYBE SOME FRESH STRAWBERRIES- I LOVE FRESH STRAWBERRIES:love:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    how 'bout NO topping and NO ice cream.

Feeling deprived? Please people-- that nonsense is what got us in this boat.

Stop the insanity.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Stop the insanity.

<___________ steps slowly away from the bowl:blushing:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Very good, Jeannie--

Now the rest of you-- follow suit-- if you please--

If you want results, you have to work for it!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ROFL Heck, eat icecream. Just be willing and committed (not the straight-jacket committed!) to work for it. Exercise first, icecream afterwards (you pick how much you want to work for.)

I LOVE ICECREAM!!!!! :bigsmile:

I also love sherbet (less calories) and pureed fruit icecreams (sorbets?) with no-sugar added and no fake sugars..... just fruit. YUMMY
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    "but if I don't get what I really want I'll feel deprived"

If you're serious about losing weight then you're gonna have to reconsider your relationship with food. By not eating ice cream you're only depriving your body of fat, sugar & a lot of calories.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    "but if I don't get what I really want I'll feel deprived"

If you're serious about losing weight then you're gonna have to reconsider your relationship with food. By not eating ice cream you're only depriving your body of fat, sugar & a lot of calories.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:

Bravo-- :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Healthy - wise I mean.

What are your views on ice cream and ice cream toppings?

Your questions is above.

I usually stay out of this stuff, but for some reason I am drawn like a fly to this thread.

I spent 15 years deprived of a healthy life. I spent the best years of my life eating icecream and saying it was because I was deprived as a child, I deserve it.

I now believe I deserve to feel healthy. If that means no icecream........then so be it.

I didnt touch a sweet for the first month of my journey. I had to re-learn eating.

To my best friend forever, who is a healthy weight by choice-she works hard for it, the best moment for her was when we walked into the icecream shop at the beach while she was here visiting.

Without a thought I asked if I could buy a banana. The girl said they only sell them in Splits. I then asked for a banana split, hold every thing but the banana.

We still laugh about that moment.

Choices-one at a time. That is what losing weight and keeping it off is all about. Look thru this thread. Shannon doesnt advertise it but she lost over 50 pounds and now runs 8-9-10 miles a day, Marla lost 50 and she too runs every day... We have been there.........

Sorry if I hurt feelings, that is not my intention.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Stop the insanity.

<___________ steps slowly away from the bowl:blushing:

_______steps up to the bowl, sticks my whole face in it and goes 'blblblblblbhweblblblblbl.... ....but only once in awhile..... :laugh: and still loses another pound..... :tongue:
  • melrose24
    melrose24 Posts: 8
    Options
    This is a hard one. I am a big believer that you can not deprive yourself-or you will continue to want that ice cream. I like to plan ahead if I can and burn those extra calories and then I order a kids scoop so I can get that craving out of my system. I am not a big fan of toppings, so I try to stay away from those-but you could always ask them to just put a little hot fudge,etc. so you can get it out of your system.

I think this is a good compromise. For example, I know that I am going to have birthday cake today so I haven't had a treat in a while and I have been trying to burn extra calories.

I hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    With all due respect-- poppycock and twaddle--

The "not feeling deprived" mentality is what put us all here in the first place. The original poster has just joined MFP and has set as her goal a 120 pound loss-- a total commitment to a change in lifestyle-- excercise/eating is necessary or she's wasting her time and kidding herself.

She's not being helped by being encouraged to satisfy cravings for food that isn't good for any of us-- especially so early in the program--

Last word, though--

I tried. :ohwell:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Sometimes maybe we need to view it as a gradual change- instead of an instant one. Eventually our choices can become better and better.

For a first step- having only one serving of 'bad' food is a fairly good one.

The issue, in my mind at least, is to keep challenging ourselves to make even better decisions down the road.

So have your ice cream- but remember you're trying to be better than you are right now. So 'upping the ante' will be necesarry at some point in the near future.

What works for one won't work for all- I wish it did, I would have lost all of my weight by now! :)

Another thought- eventually through being honest with your food diary, you'll see what's holding you back from your weight loss. The 'treats' tend to stand out and smack us with how bad they are.

:flowerforyou: