Longest plateau?

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    A year. It turns out my fitbit started overestimating my exercise calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    285to170 wrote: »
    For those of you who have had insanely long plateaus... try eating an extremely clean diet. No gluten, no carbs except for GREEN veggies (no beans or lentils!), no sugars (watch out for fruits like red apples, pineapples, and grapes. You're best bet is eating berries), and absolutely nothing processed. Read the labels on your food: no high fructose corn syrup, and if you can't pronounce it or you don't know what it is, don't eat it! Eat a lot of lean meats and fish, and stay away from red meat like beef.

Drink only water and teas with nothing added (except for lemon), and stay away from any form of salt. The sodium will just suck up the water and make you bloated.

As far as exercise goes, try doing a quick 10-15 minute work out as soon as you wake up, and before you eat anything! It'll boost your metabolism for the day. My suggestion: 30 sit-ups, 20 squats, 10 pushups, and 5 burpees, x3. If that's not an option, go run. Not hard, and not for distance, but just for 10 minutes. Then once the 10 minutes are up, turn around and walk back home. It's quick, easy, and it'll boost your metabolism! Eating 1 grapefruit every day, drinking lemon water, and adding cinnamon to anything you can will also boost your metabolism.

GOOD LUCK!

Wow. Just wow. Don't follow this. It's a bunch of woo straight out of women's magazines and dr oz. If you are at a plateau for months you are eating at maintenance and have to lower your calories a bit to start losing again.

I've been wondering about this! I've been reading everywhere that if you're ever at a plateau dropping your carb intake significantly helps you get out of it. So it's not true? I understand calorie deficits but I don't get macro control to be honest. I understand the importance of nutrients but I just don't get macro control... Could you explain?

Sorry, I genuinely don't mean to derail this thread.

Dropping your carb intake will drop water weight at first but if you keep your calories the same it will not cause fat loss.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Mine usually last less than a week. I'm pretty sure it's because of retaining water cause the weight falls off quicker after I get out of it. I just keep counting my calories until it works it's self out. I also recalculate my maintenance calories every time I loss 2-5 pounds. It's as simple as calories in vs. calories out for me.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    After some weight loss your body adapts and your maintenance lowers a bit so that you have to eat less calories to continue losing weight.
  • musicalityrnb
    musicalityrnb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Two months... But I wasn't measuring anything. I've changed that and I'm doing Les Mills Combat as well. We shall see what it does.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    4 months! Running weighing food doing
    heavy lifting cut carbs intake-lowered calories- upped calories- quit sugar long time ago- quit dairy started dairy increased fat decreased fat- upped fiber - pray - CICO kiss my *kitten*- now just feeling stronger- keep diary and stop wondering why not losing like all thoes "experts on MFP" but focus on eating healthy exercising and incorporating positive habits into lifestyle

• CCFfitnessjourney
    CCFfitnessjourney Posts: 7 Member
    Options

2. Why only green vegetables?
    3. Legumes and beans are a great source of protein
    4. Sugar doesn't cause weight gain either. Eating at a calorie surplus does
    5. What's wrong with fruits other than berries?
    6. You say absolutely nothing processed so that means you only eat raw green vegetables and berries since cooking is a form of processing.
    7. Not being able to pronounce something doesn't mean it is bad.
    8. Nothing wrong with red meat in moderation.
    9. Drink whatever you want as long as it is in your calorie budget
    10. You need sodium to live
    11. Your little workout won't do much. It's better than nothing but it isn't a big calorie burner.
    12. Grapefruit, lemon juice and cinnamon do not raise your metabolism.

Look, I'm just trying to help people who are struggling in the same way I struggle. These are all thing's I've tried before and they've really helped me. No one has to do ALL of this. They're just various tips and tricks to jumpstart weight loss after a long plateau.

2. Green vegetables are usually the healthiest. The least amount of sugars and the highest nutritional values. I know that all vegetables are nutritional, but maybe it's just the thing someone needs to get their body back in gear.
    4. Added sugar is really horrible for you. It's addictive and your body doesn't really know what to do with it. Not 1 thing causes weight gain, but it's a factor to it. Natural sugar isn't bad, but too much of it isn't good either. Again, it may be the difference in someone's diet that helps.
    5. Nothing is WRONG with them, but berries have the least amount of sugars. All fruit is good for you, but if you have to do something a little more extreme, knowing that berries is the best helps.
    6. Processed as in: there's preservatives in it, it's individually wrapped, etc.. I'm not saying go all GMO free and organic. But no granola bars, protein bars, pudding cups etc.. And those things aren't all bad in general, but when you're trying to lose weight they're good to stay away from for a little while.
    7. It's just a general and generic rule for people who are new at dieting and may be intimidated by having to read labels. It's not a life rule or anything.
    8. No, there isn't anything wrong with it. But like I've said, all these things I've tried to say are just for a short period of time to try and get your body to lose the weight you want it to. And red meat is one of the "worst" when compared to others like tilapia, chicken breast, etc..
    9. That's also a good rule for general weight maintenance or for starting out. But when you're on a plateau, sodas and juices aren't helping you. Cut it out for a week or so and see if it helps.
    10. Yes you do. But many many things have hidden sodium as preservatives, and you can get natural salts from protein and such. So you don't need to add table salt to things. Once again, just cut it out for a short period of time to help you not retain water weight.
    11. That's not supposed to be your only workout for the day. It's just an extra thing you can do to help. It's not too difficult but it'll get the job done of waking you help and helping your metabolism kickstart in the mornings. Plus, if you don't want to/can't workout every day, it's a nice thing to do on the "off" days for yourself.
    12. They don't raise it. I'm sorry if I said that. What I meant, was that they make it work a little harder, thus burning some more calories. Plus they're good for you and they add flavor to your diet.

I never meant for any of this to be a "bootcamp" thing. It's just supposed to be helpful to someone who needs to go that extra mile to end their plateau. I've had to put a lot of work into getting my body out of it's plateau's during my weight loss journey, and these things have helped. They're not meant to be a life long or long term thing, just a week or 2 to help.

I'm sorry for all the upset I've caused. just trying to help.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh god I posted on a necro'd thread.

Comment removed.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

I've been wondering about this! I've been reading everywhere that if you're ever at a plateau dropping your carb intake significantly helps you get out of it. So it's not true? I understand calorie deficits but I don't get macro control to be honest. I understand the importance of nutrients but I just don't get macro control... Could you explain?

Your macros are typically your carbs, protein, and fats. According to a bunch of health companies and official people you're not supposed to eat over a specific amount of carbs, fats, and proteins. I think the numbers are 45% carbs, 30% proteins, and 25% fats.
    "Bad" carbs, like white flour, are the biggest contributors to weight gain aside from processed foods that have added sugars and high sodium levels.

I eat 50-60% of my daily macros as carbs, including plenty of “bad" carbs, white flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. I also eat processed foods, and I'm a bit of a saltoholic and I've lost over 80 lbs since July. So yeah, either I'm an alien or extremely long plateaus are simply a matter of underestimating your calories consumed/overestimating calories burned. In other words you're stuck because you're at maintenance. Tighten up your food logging. Or, I could just be an alien.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

6. You say absolutely nothing processed so that means you only eat raw green vegetables and berries since cooking is a form of processing.
    11. Your little workout won't do much. It's better than nothing but it isn't a big calorie burner.

Look, I'm just trying to help people who are struggling in the same way I struggle. These are all thing's I've tried before and they've really helped me. No one has to do ALL of this. They're just various tips and tricks to jumpstart weight loss after a long plateau.

2. Green vegetables are usually the healthiest. The least amount of sugars and the highest nutritional values. I know that all vegetables are nutritional, but maybe it's just the thing someone needs to get their body back in gear.
    4. Added sugar is really horrible for you. It's addictive and your body doesn't really know what to do with it. Not 1 thing causes weight gain, but it's a factor to it. Natural sugar isn't bad, but too much of it isn't good either. Again, it may be the difference in someone's diet that helps.
    5. Nothing is WRONG with them, but berries have the least amount of sugars. All fruit is good for you, but if you have to do something a little more extreme, knowing that berries is the best helps.
    6. Processed as in: there's preservatives in it, it's individually wrapped, etc.. I'm not saying go all GMO free and organic. But no granola bars, protein bars, pudding cups etc.. And those things aren't all bad in general, but when you're trying to lose weight they're good to stay away from for a little while.
    7. It's just a general and generic rule for people who are new at dieting and may be intimidated by having to read labels. It's not a life rule or anything.
    8. No, there isn't anything wrong with it. But like I've said, all these things I've tried to say are just for a short period of time to try and get your body to lose the weight you want it to. And red meat is one of the "worst" when compared to others like tilapia, chicken breast, etc..
    9. That's also a good rule for general weight maintenance or for starting out. But when you're on a plateau, sodas and juices aren't helping you. Cut it out for a week or so and see if it helps.
    10. Yes you do. But many many things have hidden sodium as preservatives, and you can get natural salts from protein and such. So you don't need to add table salt to things. Once again, just cut it out for a short period of time to help you not retain water weight.
    11. That's not supposed to be your only workout for the day. It's just an extra thing you can do to help. It's not too difficult but it'll get the job done of waking you help and helping your metabolism kickstart in the mornings. Plus, if you don't want to/can't workout every day, it's a nice thing to do on the "off" days for yourself.
    12. They don't raise it. I'm sorry if I said that. What I meant, was that they make it work a little harder, thus burning some more calories. Plus they're good for you and they add flavor to your diet.

I never meant for any of this to be a "bootcamp" thing. It's just supposed to be helpful to someone who needs to go that extra mile to end their plateau. I've had to put a lot of work into getting my body out of it's plateau's during my weight loss journey, and these things have helped. They're not meant to be a life long or long term thing, just a week or 2 to help.

Of course you lost weight on this because your calories are probably much lower than your usual intake.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have had insanely long plateaus... try eating an extremely clean diet. No gluten, no carbs except for GREEN veggies (no beans or lentils!), no sugars (watch out for fruits like red apples, pineapples, and grapes. You're best bet is eating berries), and absolutely nothing processed. Read the labels on your food: no high fructose corn syrup, and if you can't pronounce it or you don't know what it is, don't eat it! Eat a lot of lean meats and fish, and stay away from red meat like beef.

Drink only water and teas with nothing added (except for lemon), and stay away from any form of salt. The sodium will just suck up the water and make you bloated.

As far as exercise goes, try doing a quick 10-15 minute work out as soon as you wake up, and before you eat anything! It'll boost your metabolism for the day. My suggestion: 30 sit-ups, 20 squats, 10 pushups, and 5 burpees, x3. If that's not an option, go run. Not hard, and not for distance, but just for 10 minutes. Then once the 10 minutes are up, turn around and walk back home. It's quick, easy, and it'll boost your metabolism! Eating 1 grapefruit every day, drinking lemon water, and adding cinnamon to anything you can will also boost your metabolism.

GOOD LUCK!

Wow. Just wow. Don't follow this. It's a bunch of woo straight out of women's magazines and dr oz. If you are at a plateau for months you are eating at maintenance and have to lower your calories a bit to start losing again.

I've broken plateaus that way. There can be a bit of a carb "withdrawal" at the beginning but it eases up after a week or so. It works in my personal experiemce.
  • Colt1835
    Options

Of course you lost weight on this because your calories are probably much lower than your usual intake.

CICO doesn't work for everyone. I'm not saying the science of CICO doesn't work for everyone, just that some people don't know how to track CICO. People have different strengths and weaknesses, so it makes sense that we would have different methods.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OODone wrote: »

CICO doesn't work for everyone. I'm not saying the science of CICO doesn't work for everyone, just that some people don't know how to track CICO. People have different strengths and weaknesses, so it makes sense that we would have different methods.

OODone , you are coming across as if you are saying calorie tracking is a strength and weakness issue. Before Google, MFP, product labels, kitchen scales, and other calorie counting methods people had to rely on their bodies to tell them when they were hungry or full.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

It's still cico though. Just saying she didn't lose weight because she cut all added sugar and all non green veggies. She lost weight because her diet was very restrictive. Calorie counting is much easier than following a million rules and depriving yourself to an unhealthily low calorie intake which she even admits isn't sustainable.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Your macros are typically your carbs, protein, and fats. According to a bunch of health companies and official people you're not supposed to eat over a specific amount of carbs, fats, and proteins. I think the numbers are 45% carbs, 30% proteins, and 25% fats.
    "Bad" carbs, like white flour, are the biggest contributors to weight gain aside from processed foods that have added sugars and high sodium levels.

I eat 50-60% of my daily macros as carbs, including plenty of “bad" carbs, white flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. I also eat processed foods, and I'm a bit of a saltoholic and I've lost over 80 lbs since July. So yeah, either I'm an alien or extremely long plateaus are simply a matter of underestimating your calories consumed/overestimating calories burned. In other words you're stuck because you're at maintenance. Tighten up your food logging. Or, I could just be an alien.

People's carb tolerance varies. Yours is higher than some others. Great for you! MFP automatically set my carbs at 50% but I'm pretty miserable at that level.

• Colt1835
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

OODone , you are coming across as if you are saying calorie tracking is a strength and weakness issue. Before Google, MFP, product labels, kitchen scales, and other calorie counting methods people had to rely on their bodies to tell them when they were hungry. Now obesity levels are close to something like 36% even with all of the extra helpful, convenient, and relatively easy calorie tracking tools.
    CICO is math. Math is a strength for some and a weakness for others. Obesity has increased because of easier access to cheap high calorie food, and non calorie burning entertainment like you tube and forums. CICO is at work wether you track or not. There is no way around that.
  • Colt1835
    Options

It's still cico though. Just saying she didn't lose weight because she cut all added sugar and all non green veggies. She lost weight because her diet was very restrictive. Calorie counting is much easier than following a million rules and depriving yourself to an unhealthily low calorie intake which she even admits isn't sustainable.
    Calorie counting is easier for you, but don't pretend you know what is easier for other people cause you don't.

You can't know how low calorie someone is eating just based off that list of rules. it would not be hard to stay at a healthy deficit using that list.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

OODone , you are coming across as if you are saying calorie tracking is a strength and weakness issue. Before Google, MFP, product labels, kitchen scales, and other calorie counting methods people had to rely on their bodies to tell them when they were hungry. Now obesity levels are close to something like 36% even with all of the extra helpful, convenient, and relatively easy calorie tracking tools.
    CICO is math. Math is a strength for some and a weakness for others. Obesity has increased because of easier access to cheap high calorie food, and non calorie burning entertainment like you tube and forums. CICO is at work wether you track or not. There is no way around that.

CICO is at work whether I track or not, and I am able to maintain quite nicely without tracking. I do use a calculator or input numbers into MFP which tallies for me when counting calories in active weight loss mode though. I did pretty good in geometry, algebra and calculus but was not as great as others but do not feel one needs to be that strong in math to grasp calorie counting.