Any gardners? What are you growing?

Options
I desperately want a vegetable patch in my back yard. Both my grandmother and grandfather who garden have told me I don't get enough light back there (I own a condo)

So I love that biweekly call from my grandmother informing my I have fresh veggies from her garden to pick up.

What are you growing? Do you have pics of your patch?

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have a mini garden. We live on the seventh floor, we have a fairly large balcony. We have two cherry tomato plants. We also have a couple other plants but honestly I'm not sure what they are, we just got them, and my boyfriend looks after them lol. Maybe lettuce?? I'm not sure. I am looking forward to cherry tomatoes!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have two poor little tomato plants that I have to shift around during the day to try to get them enough sunlight. We'll see how it goes.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love having a garden and I love fresh veggies. When I was with my parents we had two 8x10 veggie patches so we had all sorts. Now that its my partner and I we were lucky enough to get a place with a raised veggie garden ready for us. This one will get less than half a days worth of sunlight but I'm fairly confident I can still have capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, peas and silver beat :-)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I'm growing tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, bibb lettuce and various herbs.
    Last year I grew cucumbers and the took over the entire garden! I was giving cucumbers pretty much daily to neighbors so I decidednot to grow them this year. Only one that eats it is my husband.
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i've got a condo too, so no actual garden space- I have tomatoes, peppers and herbs in containers on my porch. The house next to us has a large, odd shaped lot- I mentioned to the guy across from me that we should see if they'd let us 'annex' a portion of it to put a garden in!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Last year, I grew tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, carrots, pole beans, and sugar snap peas.

So far though, all I have this year is sugar snap peas!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have three raised garden beds - currently growing three kinds of tomatoes, green & yellow zucchini, watermelon, crenshaw melon, cukes, jalapenos, assorted bell peppers, Fresno chilies, green beans, rhubarb, strawberries, basil, thyme & garlic chives. I also have some celery and swiss chard that held over from winter/spring crops. Hoping they'll be shaded by the tomatoes and do okay once it's gets hot - we'll see.

I've got a year round growing season here in central California, so in fall I plant peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, green onions, garlic, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc, and we have three citrus trees, lemons, oranges and mandarins. Most of my winter crops didn't do well this past season due to cut worms and other predators in the soil that seemed to devour every seedling as soon as it sprouted. :frown: If I can keep them under control this fall, I'll have better luck.

Love being able to go out to the backyard and pick fresh food for meals!