pushups

Options
I am going to start insanity as soon as I get back from vacation. I am embarassed to say that I can not do more than three or four push ups--- I can do cardio and planks, for the most part keep up with all of the dvds that I do. only take a break here and there. How can I get there? I continue to try and try but it is one thing that I have a hard time doing. Will it improve as I do the insanity? I do not want to do girl pushups. LOL I can do those. any ideas how to build up to doing more? Anyone else have trouble?

Replies

• anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with pushups too. I keep doing them though because the more I work on them, then I know I'll be able to accomplish them. Practice makes perfect .. keep at it, it's the only way you'll finally conquer them!

You know how I've tried to learn how to do them -- I did them up against a wall. Stand arms length from the wall and do a push up as you normally would leaning in and then using all your arm strength to push yourself back up. Maybe try that to help you out)
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    I can't do one push up.
    Not even a "girls" push up.
    No upper body strength what so ever.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    You may not want to do "girl" pushups, but it sounds like that is where you need to start. Do them and keep doing them until you can do regular pushups. You have to start somewhere.

Working with tension bands or lifting weights to improve arm/chest strength will also help.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped with my upper body strength. Plank to chataranga (where you lower your body to bent elbows on plank and hold it) and plank to up-dog are good. The military would have you do a similar move, but plank position to up-dog (up-dog is resting) and back. I say do the push-ups on your knees until you get stronger. There is no shame in making adjustments. Meet your body where it is and take it where you want it to be!!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I do wall push ups. Still works the muscles, but no body weight to support.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can start with pushups that are not full pushups. You can do pushups with your knees down, or elevate your body (hands on a chair or table) and work to have your hands on the ground. Just do your best and continue to push to do more and more each time you work out.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Interested in saying what people have to say about this. I can do girl push ups and about 8 regular push ups then I get this more than a twinge pain in my lower back that feels like I am going to break in half. SO any hints out there I am all ears too!
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    Try the 100 hundred pushup challenge. I am still in P.E and we have to take a pushup test every 2 months to see where we are and here are my results while using the program...
    Test #1- 4 pushups
    Test # 2- 10 pushups
    Test # 3- 17 pushups
    Test #4- 25 pushups
    Test #5- 32 pushups :)
    My goal is to be able to do 50 consecutive pushups by the end of 2012 :)
    Its a 6 week program and you can find it for free on their website here.... http://hundredpushups.com/
  • Tyeckia
    Tyeckia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started doing insanity myself, and too have trouble with the pushups. When I was much lighter and it was a requirement for me to do them, my best was 50 in 2 mins. Now, I can barely do 10 in a min. I get frustrated sometimes while I'm trying to do them with Insanity because I can't fully do them with the proper form and pace Insanity requires, but I know if we keep trying, we will get there!! I have a lot of arm jiggle that was former muscle that turned to fat that I really want to get rid off. We can do this!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Try going down regular style. When down drop your knees to the floor girl stlye and push yourself up. You will biuld up to regular push ups in no time. This move is also good after doing regular push ups, but want to push yourself to do a few more.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Watch this and see if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0lK3b7zhA
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I am going to start insanity as soon as I get back from vacation. I am embarassed to say that I can not do more than three or four push ups--- I can do cardio and planks, for the most part keep up with all of the dvds that I do. only take a break here and there. How can I get there? I continue to try and try but it is one thing that I have a hard time doing. Will it improve as I do the insanity? I do not want to do girl pushups. LOL I can do those. any ideas how to build up to doing more? Anyone else have trouble?

Negative pushups. Basically, do as many regular pushups as you can (in sets of 5, with 30 seconds or so rest in between), when you can't do more...then finish out your set by getting in the pushup position, and lowering yourself as slowly as possible. The goal is 5 sets of 5 overall. Repeat this 3x a week on non consecutive days. You will find very quickly that you can easily do the 5 pushups, and it should only take a couple weeks to do the whole 25. When that is no longer a challenge, raise your legs up on a chair, and start over.
  • afdexter86
    afdexter86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am in my second month of insanity and my ability to do push ups has GREATLY improved. Just do what you can and take breaks when you need to. You will do a lot of pushups so you'll have plenty of practice :) Start out by doing pushups with your knees on the floor once you can't do any more regular ones. And you may have to just do regular push ups when you're supposed to do push up jacks or walking pushups. But don't worry, you quickly will gain strength in your arms and I think you'll surprise yourself! Good luck :)
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    i did girly pushups for the 1st month of insanity and as the second month approach i was able to do 10 manly pushups hahaah
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them consistently, push yourself to do more, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can progress. A year ago, I could barely squeak out 10 "girl" pushups. I am currently up to 45 regular pushups per set. If you really want to progress, here's a good place to start: http://hundredpushups.com/
    I've found increasing my upper body strength to be quite beneficial. All the things I do as a mommy--walking around with a toddler on my hip, a diaper bag and library bag full of books on my shoulder, unloading a trunk load of groceries, housework--I can do more easily and get less fatigued now. Plus, I work outside the home as a RN in a critical care unit, and it's helpful for moving immobile patients without wearing myself out or hurting myself.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

This article may help you.
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/girls-can-do-push-ups-too/
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I started out a challenge I am in on MFP 7 weeks ago being able to do only 8 girlie pushups. I do them everyday and each week we increased a little now I can do about 25 and sometimes 30 girlie pushups, and those 7 weeks have just flown by. I agree with being consistent and you will increase the amount fast.
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    I can't do pushups at all due to my left wrist being messed up (doc doesn't know if it's arthritis or carpal-tunnel or what) and my right hand can't take much stress, so it sucks...because that means I can't do dips either, and those are excellent for shaping up the triceps, so instead I do what I can as an alternative on the machines at the gym.
    Oh yeah, btw, my boyfriend just started doing the insanity workouts about a month ago, he and my son get up at 4:30 to work out, I wish I could because it looks like one heck of a cardio workout but with my hands and back, and all that jumping around they do my body can't the the stress...so I do a lot of elliptical and really fast walking for my cardio.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them consistently, push yourself to do more, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can progress. A year ago, I could barely squeak out 10 "girl" pushups. I am currently up to 45 regular pushups per set. If you really want to progress, here's a good place to start: http://hundredpushups.com/
    I've found increasing my upper body strength to be quite beneficial. All the things I do as a mommy--walking around with a toddler on my hip, a diaper bag and library bag full of books on my shoulder, unloading a trunk load of groceries, housework--I can do more easily and get less fatigued now. Plus, I work outside the home as a RN in a critical care unit, and it's helpful for moving immobile patients without wearing myself out or hurting myself.

Awesome I am an RN as well. But I work in a clinic, I do WIC, immunizations, STDs...... the most patient moving I do is helping parents in holding their kids so I can give them the shots.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped with my upper body strength. Plank to chataranga (where you lower your body to bent elbows on plank and hold it) and plank to up-dog are good. The military would have you do a similar move, but plank position to up-dog (up-dog is resting) and back. I say do the push-ups on your knees until you get stronger. There is no shame in making adjustments. Meet your body where it is and take it where you want it to be!!!

I could not even get up off the floor to even attempt a push-up at the beginning of this month. However, on a Jillian Michaels workout I saw the above move involving plank position to up-dog. Omg it was hard to do and I couldn't even do one of them. But I have been able to finally do 3 of them this past week and finally 2 push-ups (if my arms aren't tired from other moves) I still have a very long way to go but these definately helped me get where I am. The girly push-ups....I could do them forever.