Help exercise ideas needed

Options
I injured my leg (pulled a tendon in my leg and I am on crutches) and still want to keep my weight loss momentum going with calorie burns. I am finding very limited things to do though, besides upper body workouts with the dumbbells and I am doing chair aerobics which there are very few of online. I am also having my hubby or daughter hold my leg so I can do pushups and crunches. I would like to go in the pool at the gym and see how much I can do, but logistically I don't know how I would get in the pool, my 25 year old son suggested I crutch myself into the gym go straight to the deep end of the pool and fall in straight forward, he is sure the crutches will float lol, he is very helpful :) I know there is a huge knowledge base in this community and I am looking to tap into it for this issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I'm in the same boat! (6wks out w/broken fibula). I, too, wanted to try swimming as soon as the fiberglass cast came off, but I also had the same realization about getting thru the locker room and into the pool. To prepare for certain upcoming changes to handicap accessibility laws, many large pools have invested in an automated chair lift that can be wheeled poolside. If you can manage, you could also slowly lower yourself gently to your knees poolside (a pad/cushion helps), switch to sitting, creep to the edge of the pool, dangle feet, and then slip in.

As I've learned, don't discount the workout you can get from crutching around malls/stores (It's exhausting and "Hello, biceps!") or using the store manual wheelchair to push yourself around. My new "sport" is spending 1-2 hrs doing hot laps at the nearby SuperTarget. I also do several mat-based pilates moves at home (via DVD) to help maintain what little muscles I have left. I can't do everything, but I was surprised at how much I could do. Just recently I've started working the leg/ankle (outta the boot) on a stationary recumbent bike on the lowest resistance settings.

When in doubt, consider seeing a physical therapist who can recommend some therapeutically appropriate exercises for the different stages of your recovery. Good luck and heal quickly!
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bump
  • i_am_losing_it
    Options
    I'll have to try the Pilates, thanks for the idea. I would like to crutch around more than I do and I am sure I will build up to a longer amount but this is the first time I have been on crutches and I am heavy, and my other leg starts to hurt and my endurance sucks. I will have to find a way to get in the pool if my husband is with me I know I could prob do it, but he usually works out of town and is not home :( I definitely have the will I just need to find the way. Thank you and I hope you heal soon :)
  • i_am_losing_it
    Options
    any other ideas?