Accepting and Declining Friend Requests

Options
I'm fairly new to this and I find it hard to instantly accept friend requests. I do not know why but I regard this site similar to a Facebook or a Twitter where I like my privacy but would also like a small circle of MFP friends. Recently, I've been getting several friend requests and I have found myself declining a number of them because I do not know who those people are even though they had warm messages. Am I looking at this wrong?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Use MFP as you choose. Friends, no friends, small group... however you feel it's best.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I denied my last two requests. Its too hard to keep up with people if you have 200 friends.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i like my list short and sweet. I routinely delete people to keep the ones i really enjoy. I dont like 'collecting' friends...That's a bit Facebooky for me. If i have even 5 good friends who 'care' how my day went and if im eating/working out right then im happy . I try to support them and we have fun often:flowerforyou: You do what you feel is best for your progress.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Not at all. In fact, you will find many people have a disclaimer under their profile pic (like me), asking for a short message with their invite. Heck, if I accepted every request in the year I've been hear, I'd have over 2000 friends, and there is no possible way you can support and interact with that many. Do it however you want to. :-)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. It's your friends list, and your choice. :) Make MFP the best experience it can be for YOU.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this and I find it hard to instantly accept friend requests. I do not know why but I regard this site similar to a Facebook or a Twitter where I like my privacy but would also like a small circle of MFP friends. Recently, I've been getting several friend requests and I have found myself declining a number of them because I do not know who those people are even though they had warm messages. Am I looking at this wrong?

The thing is, the difference between Facebook and MFP is that on Facebook, you will have many people and family on there that you actually know in real-life, work colleagues, people you say hello to at the pub etc etc, whereas on MFP it is usually just people that are trying to lose weight, gain weight or maintaining and although MFP is a sociable site, many people on here may not actually know anybody on here in real-life because of the nature of this place - Facebook is a social networking site, MFP is a support system - two totally different things really.

There is nothing to stop you accepting friend requests and just using that as a support system.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I had to put up a message that I am not taking FR right now. My list got so full of people that I never interacted with that I began to feel guilty. Do this your way, it is your journey. There are people on here that get cranky about the whole not accepting friends thing, but we are not here for them, are we?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Do this your way, it is your journey. There are people on here that get cranky about the whole not accepting friends thing, but we are not here for them, are we?

Exactly!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    i like my list short and sweet. I routinely delete people to keep the ones i really enjoy. I dont like 'collecting' friends...That's a bit Facebooky for me. If i have even 5 good friends who 'care' how my day went and if im eating/working out right then im happy . I try to support them and we have fun often:flowerforyou: You do what you feel is best for your progress.

Pretty much this. And we do like having fun :D

As another good friend of mine on MFP have on her profile "I do not wish to be just another number on your friends list count. If we don't interact, then I will probably delete".