went waaaaay over calories, what to do?

Options
This weekend I went way way over my calories and am feeling extreme guilt; what do you guys do in these situations? I kind of just want to exercise like a maniac tomorrow and eat like, one really healthy salad, but it probably doesn't work like that... does it? How can I make this right?

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You just have to move on from it. You don't want to deprive your body of food in the following days, but exercising definitely wouldn't hurt. Just get back up, and keep moving forward on exercise and calories. It's just a slight bump in the road and everyone has them every once in a while.

If it's making you feel guilty, let the guilt fuel you to keep working hard! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • ddiana21
    ddiana21 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing and I feel guilty as well. I am so good during the week but once the weekend comes it all goes downhill..All we can do is do better tomorrow and leave the past in the past:)
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I plan for not so good weekends. I take a week-to-week approach, not a day-to-day approach. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My advice is this: don't worry about it. Holiday weekend, I'm guessing you probably had a good time and threw healthy eating to the wind. IT HAPPENS. As long as it doesn't become the new normal don't beat yourself up over it. If you really feel like you need to "fix" it, eat a little under your goal for a few days or spend an extra 20 minutes working out on your next few sessions.

Every day is a new chance to make amazing choices that your body will reward you for. Seize that opportunity tomorrow and going forward and don't stress yourself out over minor slips. You can do it :)
  • wiscogurl
    wiscogurl Posts: 6
    Options
    Drink some water, pull out a pad of paper, and plan your meals for the next few days to get yourself back on track. I always seem to slide off my plan when it's a holiday or when I have family/friends visiting. Best thing to do is hit the ball from where you are. Just don't step on the scale!
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No matter how bad we might mess up, we have to tell ourselves that tomorrow is a new day! Off days are okay sometimes. Dont let yourself get discouraged so easily. :)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day, a new start. Learn by your mistake and try to do better next weekend.
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For starters, a lot of healthy eating advice tells you to look at what you consume over a 7-day period, rather than day to day. If you go over today, try to aim for a little under tomorrow, but don't guilt or punish yourself into not eating and send your body into starvation mode. Did you go over yesterday? How about the day before? Go back to your goal, and start fresh tomorrow.

Exercising like a maniac isn't good either. A lot of diets and workout programs fail because people push too hard, and feel they can't keep up with it. Ask yourself why you went over- were you snacking instead of planning meals? Were you emotionally eating? What happened? Then try to change that behavior in a positive way. Leave the guilt and the (misplaced!) ideas of "making it up" behind, one day over isn't going to ruin things!
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had a bad WEEK! We were out of town and staying at a families house, so eating healthy could have been possibly but I let myself slide and eat whatever, and working out really wasn't possible. So at first I wasn't going to log a single thing, because I HATE seeing the big red negative number. However i decided to make myself accountable so that i could see the "damage" and figure out how much the scale might go up.

Anyway, here I am feeling guilty and looking for some pick me up inspiring posts. The thing is that we just need to leave this weekend/week in the past, but learn from it. We are only human so binging and caving in to the food we want is only natural. But the minute we decide okay, no more food for the rest of the evening, is when we are taking action.

So the best thing to do, is be better tomorrow!!!! :) Work your butt off, not for recompense but for your future success, KEEP GOING! One day, a whole weekend, an entire week, of crappy eating should not let us feel like we screwed up completely and can't keep going, because we need to keep going! We CAN, and SHOULD, keep going!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to try NOT to feel guilty about it. I don't think having guilt over food is a healthy attitude.
    There are going to be times when you go over, just don't like it be the norm. It's not what you do sometimes
    that determines your outcome it is what you do most of the time.

When I was fat I would eat healthy and go to the gym SOMETIMES, and guess what, I stayed fat! Now
    I will eat like crap, and skip a workout SOMETIMES and I don't really see it making a difference on the scale, or how my clothes fit.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and make the next right choice. One day is not going to derail the train unless you let it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Learn from it and move on! Is there something you could do differently next time so you didn't eat quite so much?
    Or, was that just a blowout weekend that is going to happen from time to time?
    Either way, think about it, then get back to regular healthy eating. Nothing you can do can change how much you ate last weekend, put your energy into planning healthy meals and workouts for the week ahead.
  • Shaunky68
    Shaunky68 Posts: 28
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day and get moving, literally. Pick up your cardio workout no matter how you like to do it. Move forward not back. Don't throw your system into shock by starving/limiting the next day to compensate for the recent extra calories . That would only mess with your sugar levels. Make a plan to reward yourself in the future after a good run of eating, living well, like something you enjoy but within limits, once a month. My guilty pleasure will always be pizza, so I have A piece of pizza occasionally. That reminds me: I'm overdue for a piece with pepperoni ;) Good luck!
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    All of my points have been made. Just try not to let this get the best of you mentally.
  • Momandr
    Momandr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did the same thing. Ate great all day,cleaned and painted like a manic, weighed myself, up a lb, so didn't care and had some treats! Guess a holiday weekend is not the best time to join this site :((( funny thing is that 8 didn't do bad on food...site said I'd hit my goal in xx time...just don't get how u can eat good... I only had eggs, salad and sushi today, but gained a pound!!!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    run a marathon.
    This is terrible advice. If you were really serious, you'd enter a triathlon.
  • billcastro123
    billcastro123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Occasionally going over our calorie goal has no long term negative affects. You have to look at this as a long term journey with long term goals. A previous post mentioned that we should look at our weekly net results. That has worked for me. I purposely give myself at least one "free day" per week when I go out with my wife and friends and just enjoy myself for the day. Of course, I still try to make good choices, but I also don't worry about having a few delicious French fries or my favorite German schnitzel that I would not normally eat. I still record everything to best of my ability, even if I have to guess the calories in the foods I eat on those days. I have fun with it, sometimes even making up names for the food I eat and entering them into my food database.

Bottom line - drive on! Stick to your routine! Set long term goals! Make it fun! You can and will succeed!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i consider those days to be reminders of what life will be like even once i meet my goal weight. there will inevitably be days when we go over calorie goals

dont feel guilty over it, just get back on the right path the next day. :smile:
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of sympathy you guys. It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way sometimes!
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I plan for not so good weekends. I take a week-to-week approach, not a day-to-day approach. Tomorrow is a new day.

Week by week! I like this:))

Drink more water and just be aware of how much you went over and think about focusing on going below that! It's okay, just know you're only human lol!