I can't wait!

Options
maurierose
maurierose Posts: 574 Member
Otherwise known as... "My hubby is the best!"

I've been wanting a garden for soooo long. My hubby has been toting home cedar logs, bags of dirt, misc. building supplies... all the stuff I needed for the perfect garden box. He's even stopped after work, still in work clothes, to pick up dirt and bark for me.

After much work, I get to plant it tonight!!! Picked up veggie starts today - tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, zucchini, squash, green beans. We're in So Cal, so we *almost* don't have to worry about growing seasons - doesn't matter than I'm starting it this late in the year, we'll still get tons from it.

I am sooo excited to get it all into the ground!!! :bigsmile:

It will make "healthy eating" even more fun to be able to walk outside our kitchen door and pick yummy stuff for meals. There's just nothing like a fresh tomato sandwich with cheese, or squash/zucchini as a side for dinner. I'm drooling already. :laugh:

Replies

• nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    That's great! Gardening and getting close to the source of your food is so rewarding. Hope mother earth is kind to your harvest :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I love my garden!!! :love: Enjoy! Going out and weeding and inspecting etc, is what I do for fun!
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How exciting!

My dad is an avid gardner and you can definitely tell the difference of homegrown from store bought..

Good luck with it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am in So FLa so in October I am planting a garden. Starting now to clear the area, and build up the soil. We have sand here, no soil or dirt at all.

Yummo, love me some good fresh veggies!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I hope to have a garden next summer. We live in IN, so seasons do matter. We have lots of sand, so we'll probably have to bring dirt in. Anyway, I think it's really neat to be able to grow your own food.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You lucky girl!!

Where abouts in So Cal?? I'm in the high desert, Phelan.
    Recently moved into our house, once prices came down :happy: , and can't
    wait to start my garden!!

Pam:flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Pam - we looked at homes up in the Phelan area! We found a home/area near Lake Perris that we fell in love with. How do you like the area now that you're settled in? Definitely lots of sunshine!

Amy - we brought in dirt (thus the "garden box" instead of a traditional in-the-ground garden). Took us a loooot of bags, and we have a car, not a truck... :bigsmile:

Call me crazy, but we have a dog, and I wanted something tall enough that he can't pee on ANYTHING. :mad: He's not even allowed NEAR that part of the yard. LOL :laugh:

Jeannie, what are you going to plant, and how big of a garden will you have? Isn't it great to have non-traditional growing seasons!?? I love it! I'm curious to see how long our garden will continue to produce! Are you planting seeds or "starts"?