Zoloft

Katy009
Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been taking a very low dosage of Zoloft for the past three years and have just kind of put two and two together. I gained a few stubborn pounds slowly over this time (ALL in my stomach) and just have had the hardest time getting rid of them. I also feel tired a lot and have tried many things to get rid of this and realized it's not due to what I'm eating or exercise, etc. I went online and was overwhelmed by the amount of people that say they gained weight while using this drug (I never even though of it before) and that while taking it, found it impossible to lose any weight. Ditto with feeling tired all the time. So, although I have lost some of it, it's been really hard. I even had my thyroid checked because I was just baffled at my lack of progress. I am now thinking a lot of my problem may be with the Zoloft. I quit taking it about 5 days ago. It wasn't prescribed for depression, so I just quit cold turkey and will deal with any w/drawl symptoms and hope they pass sooner than later. I was just wondering if anyone has any personal knowledge or experience with this.

Replies

• tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    I have been taking a very low dosage of Zoloft for the past three years and have just kind of put two and two together. I gained a few stubborn pounds slowly over this time (ALL in my stomach) and just have had the hardest time getting rid of them. I also feel tired a lot and have tried many things to get rid of this and realized it's not due to what I'm eating or exercise, etc. I went online and was overwhelmed by the amount of people that say they gained weight while using this drug (I never even though of it before) and that while taking it, found it impossible to lose any weight. Ditto with feeling tired all the time. So, although I have lost some of it, it's been really hard. I even had my thyroid checked because I was just baffled at my lack of progress. I am now thinking a lot of my problem may be with the Zoloft. I quit taking it about 5 days ago. It wasn't prescribed for depression, so I just quit cold turkey and will deal with any w/drawl symptoms and hope they pass sooner than later. I was just wondering if anyone has any personal knowledge or experience with this.

I noticed this for myself too. However, quitting cold turkey is extremely dangerous!!
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    I have been on zoloft for 6 years. i gained 70 lbs from being on it. I was always hungry and never full. I even worked out and wouldn't lose a lb. I was on the highest dose for about 3+ years. Once I started a lower dose, I started to lose weight. I lost 60 lbs so far.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Unfortunately that is a common side effect with a number of antidepressant drugs. But it's best to talk this over with your doctor; even if it was prescribed for a different reason. There may be alternative medications, or at least they can tell you which withdrawal symptoms are more serious.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    OMG! I never thought of this!!! I take a low dose of Amitriptyline to prevent Tension headaches, and I have been having the worst time losing weight. I've lost the same 5 pounds (then regained it) 4 times in the last 3 months, I thought it was just because of my PCOS but now I think I may be wrong. I looked it up online and it says that it increases appetite and causes weight gain!!! I just wanted to thank you for posting this, you've really opened my eyes. I'll find another way to prevent my Tension headaches, I'm going to go off these ASAP!
    Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • Please step off zoloft slowly. quitting cold turkey will make you angry:explode: , miserable:angry: , and many other things:mad: :frown: :embarassed: :cry: . google it, and you will find many scary stories of people who tried to do what you are doing. Best answer is to see your dr, and he can help you step down off it. Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    OMG! I never thought of this!!! I take a low dose of Amitriptyline to prevent Tension headaches, and I have been having the worst time losing weight. I've lost the same 5 pounds (then regained it) 4 times in the last 3 months, I thought it was just because of my PCOS but now I think I may be wrong. I looked it up online and it says that it increases appetite and causes weight gain!!! I just wanted to thank you for posting this, you've really opened my eyes. I'll find another way to prevent my Tension headaches, I'm going to go off these ASAP!

I take the same thing for headaches. When I first started taking it a couple of months ago, I started to feel motivated to lose weight, but that effect is wearing off.

___

Antidepressents should never be quit cold turkey. Even with weaning off of them slowly the withdrawal symptoms can be horrible. I recommend lowering the dose in tiny amounts each week until you are off of them.
  • Katy009

isn't that crazy! That is what I have been doing to. Losing, gaining, losing gaining the same small amount. Sad part is that it took me this long to make the connection. I even went to my doctor after one year and told her that I was having this problem even though I was eating correctly and exercising and she told me that she couldn't help....to see a dietician!!!! The same doc that gave me this prescription didn't bother to mention maybe it was a side-effect of this. And she set up the blood test ot have my thyroid checked :noway: And yeah, Zoloft said it increases appetitie and I remember buying a natural pill to help fill me up before eating because I was feeling so hungry all the time.

I'm glad this may have helped you :) Best of luck.
  • Katy009
    Please step off zoloft slowly. quitting cold turkey will make you angry:explode: , miserable:angry: , and many other things:mad: :frown: :embarassed: :cry: . google it, and you will find many scary stories of people who tried to do what you are doing. Best answer is to see your dr, and he can help you step down off it. Good luck!

I did google it and saw all of the stories after I googled the effect of weight gain. I am truly on the lowest dosage you can take and if I have any feelings of murdering anyone, I will see my doc right away :) So far, in the past 6 days now, I have been okay. A slight feeling of crying every now and then, but it's also that TOM, so I'll continue to monitor it closely. Thanks for the concern :)
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member

isn't that crazy! That is what I have been doing to. Losing, gaining, losing gaining the same small amount. Sad part is that it took me this long to make the connection. I even went to my doctor after one year and told her that I was having this problem even though I was eating correctly and exercising and she told me that she couldn't help....to see a dietician!!!! The same doc that gave me this prescription didn't bother to mention maybe it was a side-effect of this. And she set up the blood test ot have my thyroid checked :noway: And yeah, Zoloft said it increases appetitie and I remember buying a natural pill to help fill me up before eating because I was feeling so hungry all the time.

I'm glad this may have helped you :) Best of luck.

The Dr never mentioned it to me about mine either, they know we need to lose weight, you'd think that this would be an important thing to mention! You'd think your Dr would have clued in, and they get annoyed when we look online to figure things out, lol. Well thanks again, and good luck to you too! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.