My 7lb gain and what I'm going to do about it

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
I'm really annoyed with myself - I completed Brighton Marathon mid April weighing (pre race) 162 lb - my maintenance weight.

Today (May 28th) I weighed in at 169.2 lb.

Now, before anyone else makes excuses for me - I know weight fluctuates, and that I am comparing my lowest weigh with a random weigh in: so I probably only gained 5lb of fat in reality. But I also know I've been doing CV training so no excuses about muscle gain!

The cause is simple - I have allowed myself to work out less (still doing 3 runs a week including a long run - but I used to fill in the gap days with cycling or weights) - and - I have allowed myself to eat more: tracking all week and then going out for a nice meal or to a party and not tracking food properly.

So the cure: back to full and regular tracking, no 'off days' and a full work out regime. No excuses, and no waiting until I have a serious problem on my hands. No is the time to take control of this!

Replies

• Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I support you & give you lots of kudos for recognizing this, but like you said, some of it may just be fluctuated weight. Remember not everyday will be a 162 even if you stick to calorie counts/workouts everyday. Sadly it just doesn't work like that
    Bodies can be sick sometimes. I still think you have and are doing fantastic, and like I said, I support you. No one understands or wants your goal the way you do. I know you can do this! Way to stay motivated and encouraged to keep going on your journey! Best of luck!!! :)
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It could just be water, I have read that you need to eat 3500 calories over BMR to put on a 1 pound of weight - but you seem to know what you are doing.

Good luck
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What a great post! You've spotted the trend early and whilst it's relatively easy to fix and you have a sensible plan to address it: No daft diets, body cleanses or quick fixes. Just, logging and working out.

You Sir, are a star.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    It could just be water, I have read that you need to eat 3500 calories over BMR to put on a 1 pound of weight - but you seem to know what you are doing.

Good luck

3500 per week = +/-1 lb - so thats only 500 cals per day = 1 sandwich too many...

Water in me = +/- 2 lb max - this is from observation during maintenance.

As I said, no excuses - I just ate too much compared to the exercise I did.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Good spot sir, your cunning plan is made of pure, golden win!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there, good for you in picking this up really early BUT it worries me you know, does this mean that weekends of nice meals, a bit of lazing around and taking your eye off the ball for a couple of weeks is forever forbidden?????? hmm how does one get a balance without being completely rigid for all time????? hmmmm
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good job getting back on the wagon!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yeah, get on and do this, we'll all be rooting for you!!!
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    U can totally do this - u r so focused and u r a real motivator on MFP - I believe in u! :) xxx
  • jsvlad
    jsvlad Posts: 9
    Options
    HERE IS A GOOD TIP - somebody gave me at the gym..

get in the habit of doing pushups ; squats ; arm circles (for shoulders) when u have a little break during work.

i was traveling with my gf and at a rest stop she went to pee. while i waited for her, i did step ups on a chair --- 20 per leg.
    i find doing these little things will make me a better overall athlelte.. at least i hope..
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Hi there, good for you in picking this up really early BUT it worries me you know, does this mean that weekends of nice meals, a bit of lazing around and taking your eye off the ball for a couple of weeks is forever forbidden?????? hmm how does one get a balance without being completely rigid for all time????? hmmmm

In my book - no: It just means that you shouldn't do this for 6 weeks in a row, and when you do you need to balance it out afterwards.

Its worth noting that I was on Maintenance so this was over and above maintenance calories, not weight loss calories.

jsvlad - nice tip :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Good job catching it when you did man! So many people let it go until they gain 20+ lbs back and are overweight again. You caught it when it's only 7. That's not bad. :) you'll drop back down
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options

In my book - no: It just means that you shouldn't do this for 6 weeks in a row, and when you do you need to balance it out afterwards.

Its worth noting that I was on Maintenance so this was over and above maintenance calories, not weight loss calories.

jsvlad - nice tip :)

...and this is a life journey. It will take monitoring and adjusting even at maintenance. GOOD for you, still tracking and planning!! You got this!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm really annoyed with myself - I completed Brighton Marathon mid April weighing (pre race) 162 lb - my maintenance weight.

Today (May 28th) I weighed in at 169.2 lb.

Now, before anyone else makes excuses for me - I know weight fluctuates, and that I am comparing my lowest weigh with a random weigh in: so I probably only gained 5lb of fat in reality. But I also know I've been doing CV training so no excuses about muscle gain!

The cause is simple - I have allowed myself to work out less (still doing 3 runs a week including a long run - but I used to fill in the gap days with cycling or weights) - and - I have allowed myself to eat more: tracking all week and then going out for a nice meal or to a party and not tracking food properly.

So the cure: back to full and regular tracking, no 'off days' and a full work out regime. No excuses, and no waiting until I have a serious problem on my hands. No is the time to take control of this!

I'm really proud of you!!! You have come SO far, and you ran a stinkin' MARATHON!!!!!! Wow....I mean....WOW!!!!! You are hard core!!

I love that you have a plan, and are dedicated to following it wholeheartedly!!! You can do this!!! Strike that - YOU ARE DOING THIS!!! Don't give up, don't get discouraged, and DON'T be too hard on yourself either!! :) You have to allow yourself A LITTLE down time, and a little bit of slack every once in a while!! You are changing your history right now (and your family's history)!!!! That being said, remember that these changes are lifestyle changes, that you will follow for life, so just make sure that you don't go too extreme. :)

You are amazing! I believe in you!!! Now go get your bike or run on!!!! :wink:
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good for you, keep at it!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As you said no excuses but done now & good plan to go on with.............it was fun but can not be allowed to last!!
    One day at a time!!