Addiction to chewing gum

Options
I dont know what to do. I'm embarassed about it. sometimes i kind of binge on it. i buy loads of it, 7-packs,chew it until i feel sick and throw up. its getting worse and worse! i used to be addicted to mentos as a kid and it was really hard for me to give it up, i couldnt eat anything else but those dragees. now,im addicted to that gum. the worst is - i am trying to lose weight and that gum is taking all my calories that i can consume and i eat nothing but that gum.. i feel like i can eat so much but i chew that fricking gum. :'( i am disgusted with myself. how can i give it up? please help.

Replies

• Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lenya_maria4516
    lenya_maria4516 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never heard of anything like this!

I found this article, might be of some help?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/303068-how-to-stop-chewing-gum/
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I quit gum one week ago. Since using Mfp and counting calories, I constantly stuffed gum instead. I would try to go cold turkey. I never counted the calories but I know too much gum is not good. It gets your stomach thinking food is coming, so gets our gastric juices ready. When no food comes that stays in your tummy I was eating antacids as well to counterbalance. I would hate stomach ulcers so just quit. Best of luck. The first 2 weeks will be tough, but after then it gets easier. Maybe sip water every yime you would pop in gum and keep yourself busy. And maybe seek help from making yourself sick.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think you should start by seeing your family doctor or a professional that deals with oral addictions. It sounds like you are using the gum to help with stress (maybe).... but you need to determine the root cause of why you are doing this, and change that - once you change that and change the thought pattern that goes with that "stress" - the gum chewing will not be needed anymore.
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i dont think its stress.. just whenever im hungry i just go and binge on chewing gum instead of eating food :(
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am addicted to chewing sugarfree gum, probably a pack a day!!! i want to stop so bad!!! as well I think its contributing to my bloated tummy, its only at work, i think because i have a desk job I need the gum..... have you quit? was it hard?
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am addicted to chewing sugarfree gum, probably a pack a day!!! i want to stop so bad!!! as well I think its contributing to my bloated tummy, its only at work, i think because i have a desk job I need the gum..... have you quit? was it hard?

This is me!! I wonder if this is a bad thing?! Can sugar-free gum really be bad?! Lord, I hope not!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Looking at your photo and your weight goal, as well as your food diary, or lack of, I think you should be more concerned about seeking professional help than about an addiction to gum.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Looking at your photo and your weight goal, as well as your food diary, or lack of, I think you should be more concerned about seeking professional help than about an addiction to gum.

i was thinking the same thing :frown:
  • jennaworksout
    Options

This is me!! I wonder if this is a bad thing?! Can sugar-free gum really be bad?! Lord, I hope not!!

i think just all the aspartame or artificial sweeteners...but also all the air you ingest from chewing, causing bloating?? but iam nit sure, gonna try to quit cold turkey to see if it helps
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

i was thinking the same thing :frown:

Please please please get some help, Yunnieh. Looking at your pic and diary... You are killing yourself, honey.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was where you are like two months ago. I was out of control...even going so far to chew it in my sleep. IT was affecting my jaw and messing with my gastrointestinal system. It slowly became a big addiction. I started with one pack....then two....then three. Got up to 7-8 packs a day. I tried going down to one or two packs...but it didn't work for me. I was so frustrated because each pack had 70 calories....that is almost 500 calories worth of gum a day! Plus it was expensive...like 5-7 dollars a day if I got the gum in multipacks.

Anyhow...finally late this last summer, I decided enough was enough. I made a resolution to quit cold turkey. I was amazed when I made it one day...then two...then weeks. Now MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is totally doable. I just think this addiction is best dealt with by cutting it out completely. I feel SOOOOO much better!
  • aliadd70
    Options
    Oh my! I have not liked to chew gum in years. However, I recently heard someone give athis tip "Chew gum while you cook." I eat soooo much while cooking, that often I can not even sit down to eat with the family because I have already consumed all my calories while cooking. So, just today, I tried chewing gum while cooking and while cleaning up. It worked! So, I was thinking I would start chewing gum until I just read this. Anyone have any other tips that might work besides good old self-control????
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i think less than 1 pack a day is okay- stick to sugar free and ones that say they whiten or help fight cavities. generally each piece has 5 calories, but I have also heard that you burn that many calories while chewing so it cancels out?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was where you are like two months ago. I was out of control...even going so far to chew it in my sleep. IT was affecting my jaw and messing with my gastrointestinal system. It slowly became a big addiction. I started with one pack....then two....then three. Got up to 7-8 packs a day. I tried going down to one or two packs...but it didn't work for me. I was so frustrated because each pack had 70 calories....that is almost 500 calories worth of gum a day! Plus it was expensive...like 5-7 dollars a day if I got the gum in multipacks.

Anyhow...finally late this last summer, I decided enough was enough. I made a resolution to quit cold turkey. I was amazed when I made it one day...then two...then weeks. Now MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is totally doable. I just think this addiction is best dealt with by cutting it out completely. I feel SOOOOO much better!

Have you even taken the time to look at the OP's profile picture and diary before posting suggestions on how to quit one of very few things she is even getting any calories from ?
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Edit: the chemicals in it might be making you sick, ESP if it's sugar free. And if it's not sugar free the sugar could be doing it.
    Also eat real food. Gum has no nutrients for your body. That's prob another reason you're sick.