Women In Their 40's Struggling With Their Weight Coming Off?

Options
Hello to the ladies out there who are in their 40's and above. I am in pre-menopause and am finding it alot harder to lose weight then in past years when I attempted it. I know as we get older they say our metabolism slows down. Some times I feel like I am working my booty off and eating right and the scale either doesn't move or moves very slightly. I even started trying to eat back alot of my exercise calories because I hear all about how you have to eat more.

What I am wondering if any other women out there who are 40 or above have struggled with this and if you have found anything that has helped you to keep your weight loss at a steady pace? I lost 20 pounds quickly but I know it was water weight with me being over 300 pounds but now it is slowed dramatically. Just wanted to see if there was any tricks others have found to help their weight loss keep going or is this something I am going to have to deal with and get use to working my butt off for very small weight loss results. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions:smile:

Replies

• gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to lose weight at this stage of your life, I found that I really had to watch the carbs. Try limiting carbs to under 80g a day and see if it helps. Don't want to depress you but I couldn't lose weight until the menopause was well and truly over and I was off HRT for 5 years. Got there in the end though but it took nearly 3 years to lose 3 stone.
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try and watch my carbs more. I have been trying to cut out refined carbs and get most of it from fruits now but I'll try and watch all carbs. I'm not on anything right now because I am in the stage perimenopause so not quite full menopause yet. I'll just try and remember yes I want to lose weight but I am doing this for health more:smile:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES !!!! The best thing I ever did was go and see a nutritionist. Pre and post menopausal women have different challenges due to hormones. I couldn't figure out why I had issues all my life but I had a hysterectomy at 26, so it was a bit like being thrown into menopause early.

I'm 42 now and after working with the nutritionist since Feb and losing like crazy. I've got my hormones settled with food choices. All of my foods I eat to balance my body chemistry. I feel great, I'm healthier than I have been in years and it was worth every bit of the money it cost to see her. 500.00 for 6 menu plans. She did up all my menu plans and determined what foods I need to avoid in order to stay healthy.

Here I am now, Gluten, soy and Dairy free and loving it! I don't drink now either, but I had enough on my vacation so I don't miss as i'm very focused on the loss.

I've lost 20lbs and about 35 inches since I started with the nutritionist.
    Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Actually, for me I think that HRT helped give me the little boost I needed. I know I am working harder now on my exercise and what I eat but I am almost back to my 20's-weight.

I don't know if you have had any blood work but you might want to get your thyroid and your hormone levels checked just to see for sure. A lot of people have thyroid issues and don't even know it and it effects their weight.

But like the earlier poster suggested, I would recommend making sure you are getting lots of fiber in your diet, and choose carbs from whole grains. That really does have an effect. Also, for me I had to really watch fats because of my cholesterol. So I try to buy very lean meats as much as possible.
  • namienoo
    namienoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't profess to be an expert but my husband is diabetic and he follows a diabetic diet which requires many smaller meals throughout the day. Also, you have to make sure that you are eating both protein and fibre at each meal. I'm at work right now but, if you send me a message, I'll get the exact information to you. By eating correctly, it boosts your metabolism. Also, my husband has been encouraging me to read a book that he has about this concept. Again, I'll give you that information this evening (Ontario time) when I get home from work, if you remind me through a message. My memory is awful! LOL!

Lynne
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you are really strugging you might want to see your doctor and have bloodwork done. I had thyroid issues as well as low vitamin D and B12 which can affect weight loss.

I'm 45. I had a terrible time right after my thyroid surgery but once my medication was regulated I have been able to lose weight. I am eating in a way that i can live with the rest of my life ... no low fat or low carb, just sensible meals and regular exercise. I keep my goal at 1 pound per week because I want the weight to stay off this time so I'm not rushing it. I change up my exercise every 2 months or so based on recommendations by a trainer. Also, he recommended 400 minutes of real exercise a week to lose weight. I drink lots of water (my doctor recommended a gallon of ice water a day), no sodas and no fast food. But I use regular sugar or honey for sweetner as well as real butter. I go to Curves usually 5 days a week, hula hoop for 30 minutes most days and then add in a dvd to change things up (most recently 30 day shred).

Feel free to add me if you need support.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and I have lost 40lbs - you can do it!

I put loads of weight on as I reached my mid forties and was so depressed. I have been a healthy eater for years but it wan't making any difference anymore, but I didn't exercise. So I did loads of reading into food choices and exercise. I found that weights seem to have the most dramatic impact on your body shape. I had some weights at home, so I bought a book and started. I now have my waist back and have gone down several dress sizes, it really worked for me. I also try to eat clean, with a ratio of 40%/40%/20% - protein/carbs/fat.

Good luck:)
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    39 here, but I do agree my weight loss is slower than it was 20 or even 10 and honestly even 2 years ago. Its frustrating but I'm willing to wait... it will be worth it in the end.
  • SRikard
    SRikard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Boy do I know how you feel! I am 49 and I've lost 67lbs. But for 3 months.....nothing! I go to the dr this wednesday and am going to c if she'll check my hormones and thyroid. I have no tips or advice but I can tell you I am not giving up! I feel great! So much better than I did. So don't you. Hang in there.:happy:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    46 years young here. I see a lot of good tips in this tread so far - 1000 mg of Vitamin D3 a day, works wonders and great for energy. No dairy, no wheat, very little bread and moderately low carb (under 150 g a day), high protein, one gram per pound of body weight and lots of healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, peanut butter) Oh yes its a lot harder at this age than when younger - so be diligent and don't lose focus. Exercise often and hard, weight train for bones. I also did not start losing for about 2 months when I first started so it gets very frustrating but keep forging ahead. Also, the scale will fluctuate a bit, up one week, down another but keep going, weight loss at this age isn't straight down but a bumpy path downward.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    The only thing that keeps my weightloss going was changing the protein/carb percentages. I eat 40 percent protein (120 g) and 30 percent (85 g) carbs. Especially in the evening I only eat protein. Any other way, and I would be stuck or even gain weight.
  • janeeley68
    janeeley68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it will come off slow. I don't think there is a quick fix. But my trainer and nutritionist say that is a good thing as long as it is steady. 2 lbs a week is steady.

But I can tell you that the best advice they have given me to keep my loss steady is stop eating carbs after 3 pm. and don't eat after 6 - 7 pm, except to have a half cup of Greek yogurt 30 min before bedtime to keep my metabolism running through the night. It has worked for me.

Hope that helps. I started over 300 lbs also and am now down to 246. It has taken 18 months. Endurance is the key, don't ever lose hope and never give up. Don't let yourself get so discouraged that you quit, but allow yourself some "off" moments, then get right back "on". You can do it!

This place will help a lot! Good people on here ready to help and cheer you on. Add me as a friend if you like. I am on here everyday. God Bless ~ Judi
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've been working on adding more protein to my eating. I lost my first 25 lbs relatively easy and then was stuck for 7-8 weeks on a plateau. I might recommend also checking out the group here Eat More to Weigh Less -- they have a lot of great information on making sure we feed our bodies enough.

Good luck with your journey.
  • labandi
    labandi Posts: 1
    Options
    Lynn, I am 55 and struggling to get the weight off too....I'd be interested in hearing what you have learned. I eat healthy but I am sure my "combinations of food " and when I eat the carbs is an issue. My calorie count at the end of the day is good and I exercise regularly but I haven't lost much in the past 3 months of trying! I am menopausal which doesn't help either.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and hit a two month plateau after losing around 20lbs. I think it may have been partly due to hormones since I also did not have TOM during that time. (not complaining) But I upped my calories to maintenance for about 10 days then cut them back and I have lost 11 more pounds this month. Might be worth a try. Good luck! =)
  • 100over
    100over Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 as well as Type 1 diabetic and it is a totally different story for me than it was 10 years ago. It seems the big thing on here that people are saying is cut back the carbs......especially late afternoon and evening. I am going to try that and hopefully see a difference.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say that I can totally relate to this, and I very much sympathise with your situation. Infact, I posted a topic about more or less the same thing myself a few weeks ago.

I have to say that eating back the exercise calories didn't work for me, so I'm now trying NOT to eat all mine back - I know people are always saying how important it is to eat enough, but I suspect the answer may be to eat less at our age, not more (I'm 47). However, it's extremely difficult at times, as my appetite is as big as ever!

I notice someone suggested not eating after 6-7pm - oh dear, I really hope that's not where I'm going wrong, as I rarely eat my evening meal before 7pm, and I don't really want to bring it forward! :frown: But on plenty of other occasions I've read that it makes no difference what time you eat, as you will just use up the calories the following day - which makes sense to me. There is always so much conflicting advice about weight loss!! :ohwell:

Anyway, sorry I can't be of more help. I do hope your weight loss gets going again soon. :flowerforyou:
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all your wonderful advice. I have had my thyroid checked at it is in the normal range, low in the normal range, but still in it. I am going to GYN on Thursday and I believe she is going to be checking my hormone levels. I already don't eat after 6pm and I drink tons of water a day. I started eating 5 smaller meals a day. I am definitely going to cut back on the carbs more, and try that not having them after 3:00pm. I am working on coming to the realization that at our age it will come of slow and that is a good thing because less chance it will come back. Thanks again for all of your input:happy:
  • smyle4me4ever
    Options
    I am 42 and have been my highest (142) since I was last pregnant (age 28).
    I used to be able to keep my weight at 115-120 easily before I turned 40, even being hypothyroid (controlled by medication).

Since turning 40, coupled with a few other medications (that 'can' cause weight gain), I have been STRUGGLING big time.

The scale (did I mention that I HATE SCALES) has been slowly creeping up.... 115 to 125...135 (for awhile).. now 142!!!

I am not the type to eat greasy, fried, fatty foods. I watch the labels. Try to "limit" sweets. Try to exercise at least 3 times plus a week. My milk, cream, butter, mayo (and rarely eat mayo) is low fat. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Started this today, mainly cause it's a phone app too... I am a travel nurse so I can't get on the computer all the time.

I made my goal to be 128 for now.... I think 115 may be to small at my age...lol

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
  • galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I face the same challenges and have for a long time due to endocrine issues. After the intial loss, every pound thereafter is a battle for me and it's like working a jigsaw puzzle to jump start my body again. Truly appreciate all of the great responses and ideas - I can't begin to say how reassuring it is to read that substantial losses are possible - congrats and thx for sharing! Thank you for posting this topic and best of luck in finding the combo that works for you. :flowerforyou: