How to account for oil used to fry??

Options
Can anybody explain to me how I account for the oil used to fry?? I use Spark receipe calculator all the time it's very useful but don't think I want to list 3cups of oil to the receipe since I'm not eating 3cups. Does that make sense? Thanks!!

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to gauge how much oil is being absorbed is to measure the oil before and after cooking. Kind of a pain I know, but different foods absorb different amounts of oil, along with other problems that may occur.

http://www.aim4health.com/cooking.htm

Abstract from the article:

There are ways to control the amount of fat you get through oil absorption in cooking. The veggies and meat you fry will absorb oil. How much depends on the food. In a study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, the authors show that vegetables drink up the oil used in cooking. More specifically, coarsely chopped eggplant cubes absorb most of the oil because eggplant contains numerous air cells, which soak up oil like a sponge during frying. (Flattening the eggplant with a heavy weight squeezes the air out of the cells and reduces the amount of oil the vegetable can absorb.) Leafy vegetables with small stems absorb slightly more oil than those with large stems. Nonleafy vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and finely shredded carrots absorb about as much oil as leafy vegetables. Gourds, peas, and green peppers absorb about half of the oil used in cooking. The amount of oil absorbed by various cuts of meat depends on their fat content; the higher the fat content, the less oil is absorbed. It seems obvious that you should consider the type of oil used when stir-frying. Unsaturated fats, such as those found in many vegetable oils,would be healthier than saturated fats, such as those from animal sources.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    roasted skinless chicken breast has approximately 142 calories and 3 grams of fat.
    A breaded and fried chicken breast with skin on, has about 364 calories and 19 grams of fat.
    So frying it added 222 calories
    A large baked potato contains about 220 calories and .2 grams fat.
    That same potato turned into french fries contains 697 calories and 34 grams of fat..
    So frying it added 477 calories

But Actually

There's no way you're going to be able to get an exact calorie count
    on all the foods you eat. Even two identical foods may have different
    calorie counts. As far as oil goes it really depends on what type of
    food you're cooking with the oil and if you're frying it at the proper
    temperature. Why don't you just measure how much oil you start out
    with and then measure the oil again after you're done frying. Then
    just divide the amount of calories by how many portions you're
    making. It won't be exact but it'll be close enough.

Hope this helps :tongue:

242545.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    super calorie saving hint, do not fry!