kettlebells - tell me more please

Options
From what I've been reading on here and sites such as http://trestone.com/ about kettlebells they seem to promise the perfect mix for me, sort of a cross between weight training and cardio and really getting the heart pumping, exactly what I'm looking for.
Would that be a fair description of them?
I know nothing about any of the exercise routines - anybody have any good sites that they use with exercises and info on them?
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know. I have seen a few people using kettles bells on here and am very interested.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sort of a cross between weight training and cardio and really getting the heart pumping, exactly what I'm looking for.
    Would that be a fair description of them?

Good description! I've been using a kettlebell for a few weeks and LOVE it! Mine actually came with a DVD that includes warm up, 3 workout routines and a cool down. I mix and match the routines depending on how much time I have and if/what else I've already done as far as exercise for the day. There's a TON of routines on line as well.
  • bdseagle
    bdseagle Posts: 4
    Options
    I find that kettlebells are exactly what you describe. A great mix between cardio and resistance training. I love to get my heart pumping and then have the muscle fatigue at the end of the workout. I have found bob harper has some good workout videos and dragondoor.com has a lot of kettlebell information.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've done Jillian Michael's kettlebell workout. I highly recommend that dvd. I'd say that a mix between cardio and weight training is a good description. I would do a search for kettlebell workouts in youtube to check out some moves. If you decide to buy a kettlebell, I would go a bit heavier than you think you can handle. Most of the moves are swinging the kettlebell, so it doesn't feel very heavy.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for confirming what I hoped folks. Also had a look at some vids on youtube as suggested - defo looks pretty much ideal for me - my only concern is I have some knee trouble - might have to moderate some of the stuff to compensate for that I guess.
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just remember that proper form is everything, you can do damage if you don't :( You can learn from a DVD but there is nothing better than getting trained by someone who is RKC certified. I'm actually reading a book by Jeff Martone called Kettlebell Rx. He's a renowned instructor and his book shows you how to perform many foundational exercises ( snatch, deadlift, KB swing, Turkish get up, etc). He shows you common errors and how to correct it.

It's a great workout that's for sure. I also agree with the other poster about the weight of the KB, I will assume by your avatar you are male, it's recommended men to start with a 16kg bell, women 8kg but do what's comfortable, in no time you'll be able to go in size. Have fun :)
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for confirming what I hoped folks. Also had a look at some vids on youtube as suggested - defo looks pretty much ideal for me - my only concern is I have some knee trouble - might have to moderate some of the stuff to compensate for that I guess.

I haven't had any problems with my knees, but then again I don't have knee problems. But alot the movements for instance the Russian swing, you do bend your knees with a neutral back parallel to the floor, as if your sittng in a chair the kb is 3-6 inches in front of you, you hike it back between your legs. You then press your heels (all your weight) causing you to stand up but your thrusting your hips forward. When you look at it it seems like your knees would take a beating but not really. Power in the hips, weight on the heels. Keep shoulders relaxed and down.
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Thanks for the infos Trini. Yeah you assumed correctly I'm male... would have been worried if you got that one wrong. :laugh:
    Jeez 16 Kgs sounds like a lot for me to start off with I'll admit. I line in a rural area so unlikely that I'm going to find a qualified instructor unfortunately so I'll just have to look at books or vids and try to perfect good form on my own. I might very well check out that Jeff Martone book then, thanks.
  • mandymccoll
    mandymccoll Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been using kettlebells for a few months now and highly recommend them. It's exactly the kind of workout that you suggest.

I'm definitely not an expert on kettlebells and can only give you some tips based on my experience of using them, when I started out and didn't have particularly good form, I had some discomfort in my lower back, thankfully I have a trainer who has managed to improve my form and I no longer have this problem. I only mention this as he advised that this is fairly common, so if you start using them and feel some back discomfort, it might be your form that is slightly out, if you are working out with someone, get them to look at you form.

When it comes to the weight you want to try, I would agree with the other posts, I use a 12kg and 16kg kettlebell when working out, I use the 12kg when I'm trying to do something over a few minutes (i.e. 3 minutes of kettlebell swings) and the 16kg if I'm doing some strength training.

I hope this helps.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    your right on about the workout being a cross road.

I love my kettlebell`s and I use Bob Harper inside out method kettlebell sculpted body dvd and its a GREAT workout
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Another kettlebell fan here... one of my favourite trainers, Angie Dowds from UK's Biggest Loser, was a great advocate of them.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebell, I find it fantastic. :) I workout at home with it. The best thing is to get some lessions from a professional, to learn the proper form of it, because that is everything when you train with weight. It is also good for findig out the best weights for you for starting.

I tried Jillian's dvd, but I don't really recommend it for a begginer, because the forms are not allways proper.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells too. They are short, intense workouts and seriously deliver! Mine came with a DVD which I use and I also have the "Kettlebells for Dummies" book which is a good resource all-around.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    What's the best weight for home lifting?

At the gym, I can dead-lift the 42kg for a few reps and we do a variety of movements with a range of sizes, but I don't have the funds available for the full range at home even though I love working out with them at the gym.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of kettlebell training! Kettlebells are a fun, safe, highly effective fitness tool. There is no plateauing. You can always do more technical lifts, go for longer periods, do more reps, go heavier or work with 2 bells. When used safely and correctly, they address all your requirements for promoting health and fitness as well as improve athletic performance. Training with kettlebells provides total conditioning; strengthens joints, tendons & ligaments, improves balance, coordination, mobility all while building and promoting lean muscle especially through the torso. Kettlebell training is also very effective at BURNING FAT!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's nothing really inherent in the kettlebell itself since all the same moves that are done with a kettlebell can also be done with a dumbbell or a weight plate
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Well I now have 3 kettle bells sitting on the window sill - only got 2,3 and 4kg and got a dvd coming. It does seem easy picking up the 4kg but I know that when I'm doing a routine it will be too much as I'm quite unfit.

Really looking forward to doing some as its something a bit different.
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Well I'm defo sold on the kettlebells. Now I'm just going to have to get me some. Thanks all for the infos. :happy:
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The kettlebell is probably the best, most versitile piece of training equiment you could buy. I try and use them as often as possible!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    myohmytv.com has a lot of kettlebells workouts-check it out!